Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #1

New to motorhoming

Hi, We're Howard and Kathy, we just moved up from a 12 foot pop-up to a 42 foot Tour Master. We're from western PA area, we plan on doing the Alaska tour within a few years but will traveling this year with our 17 year old son for his hockey and hopefully college hockey.
howardfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on the significant "upgrade".

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #3

Welcome to the land of big boy toys!

I just entered the world of rV ing with a 40' Safari Panther. One of my first things to do is to take a one day driving course so that I don't make the same mistake I did when bringing the RV back from Texas to So Calif. Pulling out of a gas station, I clipped the pump support because I didn't make the proper turn. $23k in damage and 2 months to repair later I am almost ready to get back in the saddle again. Would also recommend a similar course, unless you are used to driving something so big with different tracking.

Enjoy! I know we are looking forward. Busy buying all the "stuff" that goes with it (outdoor furniture, grill, dishes, etc.) We will be part timing 3-5 weeks and a few weekends a year for a couple of years. Then retirement will allow us to use more.

Have fun. This is a great site for good information.

Rick
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome Howard and Kathy

Where is Elton PA? We are from S/E PA,Norristown area.Ther are many places to visit.Penn State just improved their ice hockey program again with another nice donation.

Rick & Robin
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
How many pop ups do you think will fit in the new coach?

Tracy
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips, and yes I've driven large "cars". I like to tell people I have over 1 million safe driving miles and 250,00 scaring the @#&* out of other people. Yes we found out after taking all the stuff from the pop-up we still have 8 more compartments to fill up. But with kids hockey stuff and our SCUBA and golf toys now we may need a trailer. Elton is close to Johnstown. We're about 60 miles southwest of State College and yes the new hockey program looks great. The family also shoots fireworks and we've shot for the State College Spikes for a few years. Hope to see everyone over the summer.
Howard and Kathy
Old 02-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #7

To Rick and Robin, We've been shooting the "light up" night in Bridgeport the last few years and will be there again Nov. 26, 2011. That should be our last trip before she gets put away for winter.
Howard and Kathy
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #8

Hi Howard. We are new to the site and just purchased our first MH also. It is a 40' Tourmaster. Fortunately I've been around trucks my entire life. My father has driven them all his life and I did a short stint behind the wheel of a 35ton Euc. I'm still smart enough to be nervous, and super cautious behind the wheel for the next several thousand miles! I have to agree with Rick. I have learned a great deal from this site just reading all the postings. We also purchased to visit our son while he is in college in Florida. I am ready to leave for awhile. I am sure you guys have had worse weather than us down here in Everett, PA though. We are big Pens fans, great to hear you guys are resupplying the ranks. Read about the donation last night. We put countertops in for the Silvis in 2004, really great people too.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Howard and Kathy,
Congratulations on your new rig. Don't worry about the compartments. The will just sorta fill themselves up. Enjoy your time with your son on the hockey games.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote