Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Red face New to rv

Hello everyone new to the rv idea hope to purchase class a soon , a dream retirement home Very shakey about the whole idea

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Southernboy and Welcome to IRV2!

It's not that crazy of an idea. A lot of people do it and love it, like me for one.
You are doing the right thing. Look around these forums and ask questions before you buy anything. You may not know exactly what you want until you have a chance to sort through all the knowledgeable posts at IRV2.
Have fun and good luck!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome. I would suggest to do your research and then do some more. Yes it is substainial purchase, so is any home. Take your time in selecting your MH.

I'm very happy with my purchase of a used MH from single owner. Our introduction was a friend of my family is a friend of his family. His advance years and medical problems was the reason he was selling. It was my choice of inspection station and the only problem was the rear tires showing thier age. Seller made good on his handshake that he would pay for anything that didn't pass inspection. Four new tires in back and the deal was done.

Again, welcome to the site.

Safe Travels
Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the words of encouragement I 'm looking forward and happy to be an irv2 member
Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Southernboy, welcome to the forum. Take your time, look around. You'll find something that suits your fancy. Next thing you'll know, you wouldn't have it any other way.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks historyljc so many choices , head spinning
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

Welcome Southernboy (Where exactly?). Moving into an RV is a big step so take your time and get the size and floorplan that best fits what and how you want to do. I'd suggest renting a few different types for a weekend/week and see if/what you like don't like. Get some books on RV living and maintenance. Just like everything these things need proper care and feeding. Some you will be able to do yourself, some perhaps not. I have yet to make the leap to fulltime, mostly due to the need for health insurance (wife still works to provide). My folks did it for many years and loved it. Good luck.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Jump in, we just bought a new to us 2001 National Tradewinds and while I will echo others who have said take the plunge, it is not for the faint of heart, I have no regrets. Do your home work and don't be surprised if you get surprised by some things that you just miss, look at the major things (read expensive) and make sure they are in good shape. I suggest strongly (unless you have tons of money) that you go with a good used unit and let someone else take the depreciation. This is our second RV and the first one was a Damon gasser, we bought it new and had a ball! We got a good price to upgrade to a DP which I wanted for the power and that was a perfect move. Go with a good floor plan that works for you. Take your time on the floor plan and go back several times and ask tons of questions!! Remember, if you are going full time then the floor plan has to work for you. Little things are easly fixed. Check tires and if everything else is ok but the tires, factor tires into your budget. If no service recordes are available, and the home is what you want factor a big first bill into your budget as you should have the service checked and it will be expensive as you need a starting point to go forward. In our case we paid for new tires and did major service checks on the drivetrain. Found a few surprises but nothing that the budget could not stand. Do an alignment (4 wheel) imortant if you bought new rubber. In our case buying used and a DP saved us well over 60% over MSP for a new one!! Ours only has 37,000 miles on it and its a 2001. DP's should be good for at least 500,000 miles and ....well....... I will be dead by then anyways.......

Its an adventure to be sure but in my opinion well worth the journey. Remember what other life style can you move instantly if you don't like the neighbours?

Let us know what you get.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #9

Welcome to iRV2. Decisions Decisions, I feel your pain. There are so many RV out there to chose from. To any consolation, it took us five years to decide. Last year we finally decided on a 2008 Itasca Sunova 35J class A - our first. This thing is great, has rear bunks for our two girls and they love it (their own space). Our next upgrade will be a DP. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #10

We just went through all this. Spent months trying to decide on what, how big and how much to spend. We set a budget and were tempted by a few older models (pricewise) and then found out what a disaster that could turn into. We waited until the right one came up, made a low offer (private owner) and got more than we expected to. We are elated we didn't rush into it or we would have paid too much for a lesser motorhome. It's a soft market and people need to sell sometimes. Good luck.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome to iRV2.
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all for making me feel welcome and not alone in this crazy idea.I've been looking but cant seem to find the right combo of price ,style or floorplan . Leaning towards Newmar, or Monaco
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those are both nice coaches. Don't overlook the Tiffin line while your looking.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #14

We narrowed it down to Itasca, Winnebago or Tiffen. Reputation, companies still in business.

BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote