Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #15

Well here goes

I went out, (posted on another thread somewhere) and first thing I try to plug my electric in only to have the switch trip every time. As suggested I asked neighbors at the park to help (in case I was missing something stupid and simple) and they couldn't get it to work either. Anyhoo, I had filled the water before I left my house and by the time we got there it was all over the carpets (the maintenance crew said they fixed all leaks) but obviously didn't. So here we are no power no electric. So I try to start the generator and finally, it starts! It didn't run any electric outlets though, so I'm not sure exactly what the generator is truly for anymore(since that's what we needed). Luckily we had a long extension cord, so we were able to charge our phones and iPad and the fridge ran off of gas, but still.....(needless to say I drove the RV right back to the shop that had it for a year and told them where to shove their cash register). Did I mention that any water I put down the sink came right out the holding tank due to the fact that the it was installed incorrectly and I'm hoping I can put a picture on here so you can see what I'm talking about.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #16

Wow -- sorry to hear about your 1st outing. Sounds like it was trying at the very least.

You may have already tried these fixes. However if not, here goes

1. There is usually a switch (breaker) on the generator itself that if flipped in the wrong direction the coach won't get any power.

2. There should be a set of breakers inside the coach that (they should be labelled) will control your outlets, tv's, appliances etc.

3.Lastly, I would check to see if any GFI outlets are tripped. Sometimes they will trip and disable the 110 outlets in the coach.

Congrats and good luck with your new coach!

40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #17

So now I get to look for a set of breakers inside the coach. Okay. What is GFI? And how do I go about checking to see if they've tripped? Thanks a ton in advance 40GnTX. Oh and btw, I had the switch on the generator flipped up and it supplied power to the air conditioner and lights, but no power outlets. Maybe that will help you understand better what I experienced. Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #18

Welcome to the forum and to RVing. I agreee with the rest of the post that RVers are some of the nicest people ever. That said, may I congratulate your courage in undertaking this by yourself with your children. We have had lots of fun in ours (we are new to this also) but I am not sure I would be able to tackle the mechanical issues. Our generator gave us trouble also - only to find it was a loose belt (think I said wire in an earlier post but stand corrected by my DH). Good luck - Stay safe and happy travels.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #19

Lvlyfun - A GFI (ground fault interrupt) plug will have two buttons one will be labelled "test" and the other "reset". If this plug is tripped then it will interrupt the circuit and disable your outlets. I would look in the galley or bathroom for GFI plug(s). Press the reset button(s) on the plug or plugs and then check to see if they start working.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #20

Hi lvlyfun. Welcome! Our first rig was a used popup...14 yrs ago. The first time we went camping, we went with another family who had a popup. Learned more from their experiences than a manual could ever teach. If that's not an option for you, no worries...rver's are always willing to assist campground neighbors! Relax and enjoy your new hobby.

Jim, Nancy and 2 boys. German Shepherd and retired racing Greyhound
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40pdq 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #21

Hi, We had a similar problem, WHILE TRYING TO PURCHASE our 33 ft vectra. Does it have much gas in it. The generator will shut off, so that the main gas supply doesnt run out on the vehicle, once the gas gets so low. Makes sense when you thinki about it. Running out of gas on the highway is far more important to prevent that keeping the generator going. So it robs Peter(in this case the generator) to pay Paul ( in this case the main gas tank supply. SO FILL ER UP! And Im a gal. Who woulda thought , eh?! I'll bet dollars to donuts....thats yer problem Little Lady, LOL! Good luck and welcome! Sandy and John
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mysticcherok--that's a great suggestion, but she said her genny will run. It just doesn't power any outlets. Lots of people don't know about the genny cutting off at 1/4 tank of gas, though...so it's great that you mentioned it.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #23

Thanks! Im gonna ask Hubs when he gets home to read this thread. Hes handy AND an Electrician, so maybe , just maybe hell have some worthwhile input too. Thanks again!
Sincerely, Sandy and John
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #24

Lot of good info here.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #25

My Hubby says to make sure everything is in the off position before messing with this problem.
THEN: Dont try to start for more than 10 seconds, no more than twice in ten minutes or you risk damaging/destroying the starter.

Try to start it AT THE GENERATOR, and note the smell. If it smells like raw gas, it is probably flooded. If it has a plastickey smell or smells like paint thinner, youve got a bad gas issue, not good.

If the generator fuel filters havent already been replaced, this needs to be done, if you cant get it to start.

If the generator is equipped with a Summer Baffel Lever and a Winter baffel lever, make sure its flipped to "SUMMER", if its warm where you are at right now.

Oh, and he said the earlier advice that I gave was sound

Heres a link for owners manuals, free download, on line. Might help.

manualsonline.com/ex/product/headline/m/panasonic/d/microwave_oven/p/Dimension%2B4%2B%2522The%2BGenius%2522

We hope this is understandable,and helpful, but feel free to ask questions, that will be answered in the evening as he works during the day.

Sincerely, Sandy N John
Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlyfun View Post
l.....(needless to say I drove the RV right back to the shop that had it for a year and told them where to shove their cash register).....
I would have taken it back also. Have them fix what doesn't work correctly and demand a walk-through so they can explain how everything works.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #27

Carolina Campers
Glad you decided to camp with the kids it will be some of the best family times you will have. Great memories.
Kim Lud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #28

Remember, we are your neighbor on the campground too. So don't worry too much, lots of people will want to help.
Of course, all the experts are here..

Van.