Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #1

New to RV, searching for a coach

Greetings to everyone,
My wife and I have been kicking the idea of an RV around for a while. We are finally almost ready to commit. So I have started looking for a coach. We live in AZ and neither are retired, but my wife is teacher so gets extended breaks and summers off. We have 3 kids, but only one left at home, however the older (20,21) two regularly come with us on vacations We spend a lot of weekends at the lakes, and take an annual trip to Tennessee in the summer.

So I am looking for a coach that will check all the boxes, but also not break the bank. I have a target of $200k, so looking for suggestions. Here are the criterion.

1. Must be able to tow 8000 pound boat, (24' wakesetter)
2. Must be able to sleep 8, bunkhouse models seam the logical choice.
3. Must be fairly new, as I will finance this purchase.

My current favorite is a fleetwood discovery 40G. This on the surface seams to fit the bill. What do y'all recommend?

What are pros and cons of the discovery?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Joe! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

coach

Does the Discovery have a rubber roof? If so I would shy away because of Az. sun and rot.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe,

Welcome to the Forum! Go to a bunch or RV shows and sit inside the rigs and see if they fit. Since you have adult children, how tall are they? Will they fit in the bunks? How tall is the tallest and how long is the bunk?

Is there room in the shower for largest member of your family? Is there enough storage for what you will take along when all travel with you? Where do the clothes go, toys, food and water?

It's pretty much about finding what works for you floor plan wise as well as your other needs. Personal taste really.

Sun will do a lot of damage so watch the roof type as mentioned. Good luck and have fun.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #5

Not sure on roof type! Thank you, this is the type of questions I need. Please help educate me.

Bunks are 6' 1" a little tight but works.

I am looking at left over 16 or possibly new 17. I looked on rv trader, the used coaches are within 10k of a new one....
Old 07-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Joe,

Welcome to the Forum! Go to a bunch or RV shows and sit inside the rigs and see if they fit. Since you have adult children, how tall are they? Will they fit in the bunks? How tall is the tallest and how long is the bunk?

Is there room in the shower for largest member of your family? Is there enough storage for what you will take along when all travel with you? Where do the clothes go, toys, food and water?

It's pretty much about finding what works for you floor plan wise as well as your other needs. Personal taste really.

Sun will do a lot of damage so watch the roof type as mentioned. Good luck and have fun.

Lynne

Once you answer all of those questions and you are sure the main bed fits you comfortably, sit in the areas of the coach where you will live while on the road. Are you comfortable in the space? Can everyone watch TV from the seats they will be sitting in? Is the kitchen comfortable to prepare a meal in? Is there sufficient counter space? Is there room in the bedroom to dress or will that have to be done in the bathroom? Where will the dog sleep?

Since buying our coach (which we love, but if the time comes), I keep a "Next coach MUST have list" on it are things I wish we had. These may not apply to your taste, but I'll share them as they are things I didn't think about until we owned and used a MH.

- 2 bathrooms, can't tell you how many times one of us needs to use the one in the campground, it would be nice to have 2.
- a better sleeping solution for guests. We have a dinette that converts to a bed. It's uncomfortable and a pain to put together and then undo it it in the morning
- a King size bed. The Queen fits, a king would be better
- black tank flush system. It's really annoying having to run a hose thru the window at the end of a trip to flush the tank.

Good luck with your search
Old 07-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe,

I agree with MrsChilerick. Have to find what works for you. I would add to that list something that had been (thank God) pointed out to us.

When we pull in to a CG for the night, we do NOT have to put our slide out to use the kitchen and or walk through. If you stop to fix lunch and can't get to your fridge, then how do you fix lunch. We can fully function with the slide in. Helps at rest areas when you need a break.

Our bed is also useable without the slide out. Don't have to crawl over each other to get in.

Look at the top of the page left side, see "User CP, Register, Files", under Files is a check off list for when you go to buy a rig. It can help when you are new so you don't forget something. Take it with you and check it off.

Keep coming back and reading old threads. I think I have probably read through 1/3 of them and new ones keep coming all the time. They are full of great information. I just look at a thread and read. I have learned something on each one.

Best of luck finding what you are looking for. Take your time, look a lot, and when the right one comes along you will know it.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
TurnerFamily : )

look at the ... bunkhouse models,

Thor Tuscany XTE

Forest River Berkshire / XT

and with front drop down bunks,

Thor Palazzo 33.3

Forest River Legacy
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #9