Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
New to RVing

After thinking about RVing for at least a couple of years, we finally took the plunge this week and decided to buy a 2003 American Eagle, 40 foot diesel pusher. It's a huge leap...having never driven such a beast before...but I am confident, indeed insistent, that we can learn. We don't take possession until the end of August, due to some other activities scheduled much earlier.

We live most of the year in FL but also have a small apartment in MN that we look on as our "summer cabin." We travel with our cat. Cats, cars, and motel rooms are not a good combination. So next summer we will take several weeks going north and returning -- seeing parts of the country that we otherwise just pass through. Between now and then we will learn to drive that bus!

On the theory that you're more inclined to regret what you don't do rather than what you do, we decided it would be a shame when we reach our dotage before long if we wondered, but never knew, what the RV experience was about. If it is a horrible mistake, we can probably sell it for a few cents on the dollar: in the meantime, we might as well enjoy some of our money before the markets chew it all up first!

We have owned a boat as large as 40 feet and learned to handle and dock that without too much difficulty so we are hoping for similar luck with the MH.

Have picked up a lot of good info from this forum and look forward to much more browsing as time passes.

RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We're sure glad to have you join us! Congrats on the new coach. I'm sure you can handle it! Happy trails

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad your here!!! Remember fowards not to bad REVERSE thats a whole differant beast. I would recommend a rear spotter.
1996 GulfStream Conquest 31feet May 2011
1984 SouthWind 27feet loved for 6 years
1 Wife 6 Kids
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
congrats on the new coach and welcome to the crowd of other MH enthusiasts, (that sounds better than "addicted" which I certainly am).
I always use a spotter when backing, and I make the DW wear the talk back headset. The rear camera will recieve but you can't talk so if something is not clear or you don't understand the DW's hand signals you have to stop, get out and have a not always friendly discussion of proper hand signals.

Again Welcome aboard.
Jimmy & Judy, Army retired, 2004
09 Damon Astoria, 340HP ISB Cummins
Flippy Do, Tara and sometimes Sweet pea
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can find a driving school for the large motorhomes, do sign up. Both pilot and copilot. The main thing is to take it slow and easy and get the feel of the rig. Don't let people bully you into getting in a hurry and making a mistake.

One thing we have ALWAYS done is the RV is not backed up unless there is spotter in the back with a walkie talkie. When pulling up to a site, that is a back in, we stop, get out and check the site for where the utilities are located, over hanging limbs and wheel stops. Then we back in.

Another rule is that we cannot see the spotter in one mirror or the other, we stop until the spotter is in place of talking on the radio.

Welcome to iRV2 and if you get over to Texas, look up the Texas Boomers.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club

Welcome aboard. You should get a lot of help from this site--just ask!
USAF Retired
2012 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32CA
2012 Equinox LTZ, RVI Brake System
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Like everyone else said..... WELCOME to the forum. I won't repeat the good advice about back up. I will tell on myself though. I once tried to back our Class A up with the toad attached. Hey, it's only a few feet....right? To make a longer story short.....don't even think about it. I finally got out and in 10 minutes had finished the job I had already spent 10 minutes on without one bit of progress!
By the way, I'm sure you'll learn to drive it without trying a stupid 'short cut' like me.
Mike & Cindy, (of course with Lucy the Miniature Schnauzer & Eddie the Yorkie) Dublin, VA / Fun Finder TT / X215WSK
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Welcome, for a beginner you are starting out with a bang, happy travels.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Thanks for all the good wishes...and the advice on backing up. There is a supping mall not far and I think we will go there to practice early mornings. Also planning on a driving school when one opens up. We just have to get the beast home from about 100 miles away and then get it parked in our development's storage compound. We have walkies. My philosophy will be like docking the boat: slow and easy and if it doesn't go the first few times, keep trying. At least there's no wind or current to worry about!

RWP is offline   Reply With Quote