Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

New to RV'ing

I'm new to RV'ing. Spent 16 years in the Military an MP sleeping where people would only dread...lol sometinmes on the side of a tank, mostly in ditches or leaned up against trees or buildings.
I've recently purchased a 2012 27RKSS Salem with my military injury settlement as well as a 2011 Ecoboost Ford F150.
I need some assistance before the better half and I pick it up the first of Sept in Mass.
I have not been able to determine if the trailer we purchased has a 30 amp or a 50 amp service to which I need to purchase a surge protector unit for and which protectors are better than others.
If anyone has a Salem unit perhaps you can assist me in not lighting up the skys with things tripping and my coming out of the trailer thinking we are under attack.
My wife says its not a pretty sight.
I also would like to know if anyone is using the Champion generators that Camping World is selling and if they are worth purchasing.
Thanks in advance
Earl
Militarycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militarycop View Post
I'm new to RV'ing. Spent 16 years in the Military an MP sleeping where people would only dread...lol sometinmes on the side of a tank, mostly in ditches or leaned up against trees or buildings.
I walked a sentry dog so I just brought a sleeping bag with me. No one would bother me with the dog. It was great - in a military kind of way.

Welcome.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome to IRV2, and to RVing, you will find a lot of nice prople here. To help answer your question on the amperage, the male end will have 3 spades for 30 amp and 4 spades for 50 amp. Sorry I can't help you with the surge protectors or the Generator.
Many safe and enjoiyable outing,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Earl! Welcome to IRV2! Thank you for your military service!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militarycop View Post
How'd you manage to get that luxury.....the sleep I mean? If I'm honest I'll admit that serving was good for me. Of course honesty isn't one of my character defects.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to warrstang331
Hi Earl, welcome. I'm new also on here. As Frank said 3 prong is 30Amp and 4 prong is 50 amp. With the 30 amp you will have one AC unit and with 50 you will have 2 AC units and also set up for or have washer and dryer combo.
As far as sleeping in trenches I can relate. I just completed 24yrs of service and currently on terminal leave. Loving my time at home trying to catch up on time after all those deployments.
Again welcome.
Hayden
warrstang331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrstang331 View Post
Hi Earl, welcome. I'm new also on here. As Frank said 3 prong is 30Amp and 4 prong is 50 amp. With the 30 amp you will have one AC unit and with 50 you will have 2 AC units and also set up for or have washer and dryer combo.
As far as sleeping in trenches I can relate. I just completed 24yrs of service and currently on terminal leave. Loving my time at home trying to catch up on time after all those deployments.
Again welcome.
Hayden
One thing to mention is that some older MHs have 2 AC units on 30 amps. We had a 1999 Dolphin that had the 30 amp service with two units. Of course we had to watch the sequence of operation but both could be run on the 30 amp. Just a note.

Tags
rving