Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

New to RVing from Gresham, Oregon

Hi,

I already posted a couple questions on this forum but thought I should stop by here and introduce myself.

My husband and I moved to Portland, Oregon from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida a year ago February. We just bought a house in Gresham, OR.

We have a 14 year-old boy, a 17 year-old girl and a 20 year-old boy who stayed behind in Florida . We also have a 5lb ball of fury i.e., Yorkshire Terrorist. By day he is Dr. Jekyll, by night, Mr. Hyde and goes completely insane just about any time when he sees another dog, squirl, a blade grass grow, a leaf blow in the wind, etc.

My kids go to on-line public school--not for religious or political reasons, they just make better grades doing their work at home. So this has made it hard for them to find friends here. But that's another story. I do wish we could find other campers who have kids their age and meet up from time to time.

We bought our 29' TT a few weeks ago and so far we've only wrecked it once--I really didn't want another sun roof on the side of the camper albeit a small one. Outside of that our 1st few trips have been great other than the fact you can't get a campsite in the summer here on a weekend unless you book a year in advance. Wish the sale's man had told us that.

Camping in the 29'er is like living in the Taj Mahal as years ago we had a pop up when the kids were small. We never wrecked that one, only once did we forget to put in the hitch pin and watched in amazement as the pop-up unhitched itself. "I thought you put the pin in." "No, I thought you put the pin in." Lesson learned.

Camping was a whole other game in South Florida. You just woke up, decided to go camping and on the road you went. Never did we find a camp site that was so full we couldn't get in and it never occurred to us we'd need a reservation. So we never made one. This is a whole new world in Oregon with the 29'er.

Now we've got mountains to climb that eat more gas than I ever dreamed of, countless names of counties, towns, and roads we've no idea of where they are, and about 3 million other campers fighting for the exact same spot a year in advance.

Lately, I've been wishing we'd bought a tent because the learning curve out here is daunting as far as public grounds, BLMs, Corp of engineers, etc all with obscure directions for spots to camp.

I am determined to prevail, after I recover from this last failed attempt at camping over the weekend and nearly taking out the reservation booth. Another lesson learned, hopefully.

Oh, and we never lost or wrecked our 31' boat while trailering it in Florida, although hauling it from where we bought it would make the bravest throw-up as it swung from side to side the entire 300 miles home.

So we should get points for that and learning the importance of sway bars and not buying a trailer that's 1/2 the size of your boat. But hey, it came with the boat. The proper sized trailer we bought from a dealer fit the boat perfectly. To bad we couldn't get it licensed as the dealer was selling stolen merchandise and ended up in jail. Our pool builder WHO NEVER FINISHED BUILDING IT, ended up in jail as well.

Sometimes I don't know if we're courageous, or just plain stupid.

But here we are, ready to learn!

Best wishes,

Jude
gracewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jude
Welcome to Wash. and Oregon, I'm sure you will as time goes by learn to love the northwest as much as the other million or so RVers do.
As time goes by you will meet enough friendly campers to keep you busy getting together.
Weekends are tough around here, my wife and I travel during the week and when the weekends come we just sit under our awning witrh a cold one and laugh at the weekenders trying to get a spot at the last min.(We have been there too)
It will get better.
Fun travels, and safe travels-WATCH OUT FOR THE BOOTHS. they eat travel trailers.
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

Welcome to the PNW. I used to live in the Parkrose area and found Gresham nice. As for camping here, yes there are hills to climb. I'm assuming you have a proper TV for that. Go online to the Oregon State Parks reservation site and look at campgrounds in the area (Washington also). You will find in the summer months you need to reserve weekends spots at the popular areas 6 to 9 months in advance. During the week it is easier to find location. We do all our reservations online.

Go online to both WA and OR to review state parks. Thats what I do each winter and look to where we might want to camp. I have DW look at the pictures and if she likes we reserve the spot. We have the ability to not have hookups so we can choose different areas to camp.

Good Luck and make it a school project for the kids to find areas to camp.

I'm a teacher and that is always a good learning tool to learn about the state and region.

Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks, and welcome to the forum! Happy trails
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Jude

Welcome to the great Northwest!
I was born and raised in the Portland area and I know you'll love it there once you settle in.
I hope you saw my post about your looking for good maps of the area- you really can't beat the Benchmark atlas!
You don't say what happened to your trailer- did you really have a wreck?
Hope everybody came out of it all right, if so.
I'm not sure what kind of amenities or how much room you need, but the Mount Hood National Forest Campgrounds are pretty close to you, and you should fit in most of them.
A Forest Service Map (buy at Ranger Station I think in Estacada) gives all the info about the CG's including size limits and access. And unless things have changed a LOT, they're first come, first served.
Makes for better chances of getting a spot, no?
And like most National Forests, they allow camping outside the campgrounds, too- if you're up for that kind of roughing it.

Have fun!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving