Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #1

New to RVs, Full-Timing it Soon

Hi all! Excited to be here.

Long story short, my husband and I are going to be purchasing an RV in the next 8 weeks to drive across the country, live in for a few months full-time, and drive back. If all goes well, we may continue living in it beyond that time frame.

Thinking a Class C (maybe Class A) will be best for us and our 3 dogs. We can live comfortably, have it all self-contained, and pull our car behind us (Subaru Crosstrek).

I'm excited to scour the forums for information. Grateful in advance for help and guidance.

Our plan is to purchase something older but reliable so we have something that runs great but that we can pull apart to update cosmetically and functionally. We anticipate upgrading the following:
  • Upgrade AC
  • Composting Toilet
  • Tankless Water Heater
  • WiFi
  • Carpet/Flooring
  • Paint/Wallpaper
  • Upholstery/Windows
  • Mattress

We know we have a long road ahead of us, figuratively and literally!

Other than that general idea of what we're going to do, we're starting from scratch. Neither of us come from an RV family. Any input, thoughts or comments are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171123151539494_COVER.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	203500  
lizzydbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs. That list should keep you busy for a while!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

Good luck. We bought ours with a plan to keep it for a few years to see the US & Canada, get the travel bug out of our system, then sell it & get back to our boating at home in Bermuda.

Well, 11 years & near 200,000 miles later, we are still at it. Still scratching that travel itch.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. Post often and share your new RV adventures with us. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #5

Wife and I can't imagine full-timing in anything less than a Class A or a 5th wheel. We full-timed for 6 months in a 5th wheel and that was a good experience, too. A Class C just seems too small and restrictive to us. C's also don't have the outside storage of the A's.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzydbean View Post
Thinking a Class C (maybe Class A) will be best for us and our 3 dogs. We can live comfortably, have it all self-contained, and pull our car behind us (Subaru Crosstrek).

Our plan is to purchase something older but reliable so we have something that runs great but that we can pull apart to update cosmetically and functionally. We anticipate upgrading the following:
  • Upgrade AC
  • Composting Toilet
  • Tankless Water Heater
  • WiFi
  • Carpet/Flooring
  • Paint/Wallpaper
  • Upholstery/Windows
  • Mattress

We know we have a long road ahead of us, figuratively and literally!

Other than that general idea of what we're going to do, we're starting from scratch. Neither of us come from an RV family. Any input, thoughts or comments are appreciated!
The two of you with three dogs and towing a car will need something with quite a bit of room and power. Nothing is worse than being trapped inside on a rainy day and not being comfortable.

If it were me, I would go for a class A and if you can I would get a diesel pusher. The reason? You're going to spend a lot of time in it both traveling and parked. The main reason is that a DP is on a heavier chassis and rides on air bags. Much more comfortable. You can find these in pretty good shape if you look around, and probably won't need to do much upgrading.

A Gasser would also work but you give up the smooth quiet ride. Power is probably no problem with them, they have some pretty good engines these days.

Whatever you do, demand to drive it before purchasing. See how it handles. Run all the appliances. Everything! Check how old the tires are. Ask for maintenance records.

Good hunting.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

You need to be handy with tools, a voltmeter, and a check book along with a lot of patience. These things live on a fault line.

Look for "The 12 volt side of life" as a tutorial.

C:\Users\Myron\Desktop\Thumbdrive\MH...s and tips.mht

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

That's fantastic! I'm glad you're still loving it!!
Old 05-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Wife and I can't imagine full-timing in anything less than a Class A or a 5th wheel. We full-timed for 6 months in a 5th wheel and that was a good experience, too. A Class C just seems too small and restrictive to us. C's also don't have the outside storage of the A's.
Excellent advice, thank you so much!! I'm worried about jumping into driving a Class A and have heard driving a class C is much more comfortable. What are your thoughts on that?

Do you need a special license to be able to drive a Class A?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The two of you with three dogs and towing a car will need something with quite a bit of room and power. Nothing is worse than being trapped inside on a rainy day and not being comfortable.

If it were me, I would go for a class A and if you can I would get a diesel pusher. The reason? You're going to spend a lot of time in it both traveling and parked. The main reason is that a DP is on a heavier chassis and rides on air bags. Much more comfortable. You can find these in pretty good shape if you look around, and probably won't need to do much upgrading.

A Gasser would also work but you give up the smooth quiet ride. Power is probably no problem with them, they have some pretty good engines these days.

Whatever you do, demand to drive it before purchasing. See how it handles. Run all the appliances. Everything! Check how old the tires are. Ask for maintenance records.

Good hunting.
THANK YOU! This is excellent insight.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Driving a class A is not difficult and you will rapidly adjust to it. If you're going to be full time on it then the storage of a class A will be what you'll need. You'd be surprised how fast you fill it up.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
This is one of those works for some people not for others.

We bought a 28' Class C and spent 6 weeks on the road with a couple weeks in Florida a couple winters ago. Everyone said we would kill each other by the end of the trip.

What they don't understand is we've been together since high school, together close to 40 years. For 27 of those years we've been working together in our business side by side. We are together most of the time.

It works for us and we enjoy it very much.

I agree storage is a little tight but that's easily solved by not taking everything we own.

We're currently considering selling everything and full timing in our 28 footer for a while and then ending up with a small condo or apartment when we're done.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #13

You do not need a special license for a Class A in most states.

Subarus must be towed all wheels up unless you have a manual transmission.

Get a used diesel class A especially if you plan on mountain driving. Driving comfort of A vs C you will get opinions all over the place as it depends on many factors. All things being equal I doubt there will be many who say a class A is worse.

What state are you in now?

What is your budget?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and congrats on the upcoming lifestyle change. I have to agree with most others on the Class A instead of the Class C. We started in a class C two years ago and took numerous 4 month trips. We found it small for us, with minimal storage. We towed a small vehicle and this effected what we could carry for weight allowance (combined vehicle wt.). We just upgraded to a Class A DP with much more room and love it.
I actually found the Class A much more comfortable to drive than our Sprinter Class C.
Do read the various forums here for help and ask questions.
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full-timing, rvs