Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #1

I've been lurking around various sites reading and gathering information on DP's for a future purchase (sometime after the first of the year). I have at least narrowed down to three to four manufactures with Alpine near or at the top of the list. I would love to buy a new one however budgets won't allow that. It appears that the middle to late 90's are within my reach. My question is...are there particular years from say 95-2000 that are either engineering, model or features that I should be cautious about? I know in auto's the first year of a new model is ususally the one where the glitches are worked out. Thanks!
HD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #2

I've been lurking around various sites reading and gathering information on DP's for a future purchase (sometime after the first of the year). I have at least narrowed down to three to four manufactures with Alpine near or at the top of the list. I would love to buy a new one however budgets won't allow that. It appears that the middle to late 90's are within my reach. My question is...are there particular years from say 95-2000 that are either engineering, model or features that I should be cautious about? I know in auto's the first year of a new model is ususally the one where the glitches are worked out. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi HD22,

First off welcome to iRV2, I think it's the best RV web site out there !! I am sorry to say I can't answer your question about DP Mh's since I have only had gas MH's ! However before you know it, you will get lots of answers from other DP MH owners! I will say this the good thing about buying used VZ new is, that the bugs are worked out and you sometimes get some good extra stuff !! When I get my next one I will look good & hard at used ones myself!!
Keep posting and Best of Luck with what ever you get !!!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #4

HD22, Welcome to the IRV2 website, glad you joined our group, as your leaning toward the Alpine coach line I don't have much I can offer you on those models. Someone else may have more information for you, so keep checking your post. Ed.S
Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 AM   #5

Hi, Welcome - we too are fairly new to this forum - you will find very helpful, friendly people that know LOTS about the Alpines. We have a '98 - I think that is the first year they were made. Ours is a side entrance, very plain decor. We absolutely love the coach though. It only had 30,000 miles on it so not even broken in yet. (our first DP) We are slowly working all the bugs out and getting it set up the way we want - a few minor problems but considering what new ones cost compared to ours - we are well satisfied, even with putting a couple of thou into it for revisions and fixes. We are getting ready for a big back east run next June - again, love the forum and love our Alpine!!!

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
HD22, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us hear and look forward to reading of your list of motorhomes you get intrested in. You may want to view the Apline Owners section of the forum to get beter ideas of this brand. I would recommend you take your time and review our members remarks through a "Find" feature available. Click on the "Find" button of a forum enter the search criteria and and uncheck the box below. Good luck and enjoy the forum.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #7

HD-
Use the "Find" feature and, from the Alpine Coach Owners Forum page, so a search on "used Alpine." You'll find all sorts of discussion for various years and features of Alpines, many from your perspective of shopping.

There should be 98, 99, & 00 models out there that meet your needs and have plenty of life left to offer. The Alpine can be characterized as a coach w/a custom designed chassis that drives as well as million dollar coaches (it was designed to), and that comes with a level of finish that avoids the run of the mill particle board interiors on cheaper coaches. Alpine has never been particularly exotic in features or brass-n-glass decor, just good quality on a dream-to-drive chassis. The manufacturer has gone thru periods of poor initial quality, and bounced back to gain control of that. But they have also supported their product well as a minimum versus the competition thru most of the history (98 was the first year in production).

One thing about buying a used coach- most of the serious problems of an assembled contraption, like a rolling house is bound to have, should be worked out by previous owner(s). Another is that your financial adviser won't choke the life out of you for flushing the early years depreciation down the drain. Good hunting. Post any questions under an appropriate heading and they will get good solid, smart-aleky answers, and maybe some good advice as well
Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #8

HD - Welcome. I believe a few 97 coaches were sold and the first full year was 98. Very few changes from initial production through 02. In my opinion the most significant change in 03 was the turning radius from about a 48 degree steering angle to about 55 degrees in 03. Minor changes in interior and amenities but same basic house structure and frame. Alpine is one of the few coaches with all wheel disk brakes using hydraulics rather than air. Hydraulics, of course, require less maintenance and you do not get the delay experienced with air. As you probably know, there are benefits to both but most people like the feel of hydraulics better than air brakes. All coaches will require attention to stay in top condition but the early Alpines had fewer frill items, making them easier to maintain, with less to go wrong. Good luck.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #9

HD22 welcome to our forums. I'm glad you took the time to check us out. If you ultimately decide on an Alpine Coach, you will find a wealth of information and helpful people here.

There are dealers lurking around the forums so do not be afraid to PM them with your wants. They would love to sell you on the Alpine. Check out the For Sale section periodically, I have seen some nice coaches there.

Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #10

HD22,

Nice to have you on the Alpine Coach forum of irv2.com. I've found that RVSEARCH.COM seems to have a good number of used Alpines on it. Try these links:
http://www.rvsearch.com/findrv/index.cfm/a-s/orderBy-pu...-59/search_btn.y-13/
http://www.rvsearch.com/findrv/index.cfm/a-s/orderBy-pu...eyword-/vehicle_id-/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #11

Wow!!!Love this site already. Interesting information regarding the breaking system.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
HD22,

The older coaches have the 325 horse power engine. However, because of the lighter weight of the older coaches, the performance is comparable to the new coaches IMO. My coach weighs in at 22,280 lbs dry-weight. Having a toad impacts getting on the Interstate but I've not noticed a slowdown going over mountain passes, at least no more of a slowdown that going over without a toad. On the early models, the inverter is only wired into the 110 AC outlet that runs the front TV. This can be irritating when you want a cup of coffee and are not plugged in, however there are threads in this forum that address how to wire the other outlets into the inverter circut.

Good luck in your search, just remember, Nothing Drives Like an Alpine.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
HD:

Though I'm not sure where you're located, there is a great coach in SoCal on consignment, 2003 Alpine Coach that a friend of mine looked at. The price is right, too. I'm not sure who the owner is but he upgraded (severely) and needs to dump this one. Might offer them a bit lower.

This website, rvsearch.com and fmca.com are good places to look, too.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
HD,

Welcome to the Forum! We owned a 2001 and know several people that own some of the early Alpines...we loved ours and I know they all love their's, too. Many of them won't even consider trading for newer models as we have because the performance is so great. The comment that the early years were more basic in design is the reason for this...they were simpler, but still had the awesome base custom chassis we have today that delivers the superb handling.

Sure hope you chose to join our family; I don't think you'll be sorry! Well, maybe except for smart-alecks like Engineer Mike and a few others...but they keep it entertaining!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote