Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
New to the Mobile Home thing—'58 "Park Style" (?) Trailer

Hello (from the PNW)—

About a week and a half ago, we (spouse and I) found ourselves making an offer on a smallish property (~5600 sq') in a highly desirable area (SW corner of WA State, very small town near amazing state parks, 5 minutes walk to the Pacific). We had not been looking—did not think we could afford that area—but stumbled upon the somewhat hidden lot, checked the price, visited that afternoon, made an offer about a week later. It looks as though the offer has been accepted. Signed contract and all, closing end of the month.

On the property is a 40' tri-level trailer that was indicated as a "Delta" of 1958 vintage. I realize that it is not an Airstream! Frankly, I can't tell what model it is, but I don't know Delta (?) trailers from the '50s.

The trailer is in pretty good shape. Some floor damage (but the spouse is a hardwood flooring contractor), a little veneer damage by a window—there's a small leak up in the roof we'll have to find and fix. Otherwise the place is dry and solid inside. Lower bedroom has two twin beds; upper level has a bedroom, and a loft. Needs some cleaning up, oil on the wood, but it's pretty solid.

Definitely needs paint on the exterior, and we'll be taking out the porch and building a larger one, with extended deck. But our other house is a 1918 Craftsman, and so we are fine with old, and with working on a house. We are handy people, but this is a new kind of venture.

From what I can find online, this looks like a "Pacemaker" trailer. It is very much like the one in the photo I am trying to attach below. This is *not* our trailer—but I'll try to attach the photos we have of it momentarily.

First—is this the right place to be? Do others here have park style trailers of this sort? If a different Forum would be better, please let me know, and no offense taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacemaker.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	120620  

Abulafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Enjoy your new home and property. Anybody can chime in here and be a part of the community. Many of the challenges facing you with your RV are the same the rest of us deal with. Good luck!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Heck yeah! Why not use it? A little spit shine and polish and you have a good get away without a major outlay of cash. One advantage you have is no doubt the appliances are standard house size. Not the overpriced oddball dimensioned appliances in a camper etc. Seal the roof up, caulk the windows, skirt in the bottom and be cozy.
If someone wants to call you trailer trash just look them in the eye and say," it's paid for". One thing I would really check into would be the furnace. This trailer falls into the age where the original furnace may be the pot burner type. These furnaces actually had a gravity feed fuel system ( generally kerosene ) with a float type carburetor feeding the pot. Chances are the furnace has been replaced by now but from experience with these things I would want to be sure. If it is original get it out of there pronto and replace it with a modern replacement.
Have fun,
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Welcome. Enjoy your new toy. What you essentially have is manufactured housing parked on a spot you own. As long as you consider it that way you should have a great time with it. Do not consider moving it. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
@LETMGROW: Thanks! Will check to see if it has the original furnace. I don't think it does—a space heater? I'm not sure. To be honest, it is rarely so cold here that extra blankets wouldn't do the trick. But it's something to look into, so again—thanks.

@nothermark: the only time we will move this is when / if we have it removed in order to build a small cabin on the spot. But that is five or ten or so years down the road, and who knows... maybe we'll just stick with this. New deck, paint, landscaping...

More photos below, and then some of the location, which is why we bought it. The lot is about 40' x 140' or so. Borders dune pine forest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	120629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	120630  

Name:	Trailer 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	120631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 4.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	120632  

Old 03-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
... All of the stuff in the photos is from the previous owner. These were the real estate shots, but give you an idea. The interior's not so bad.

Here are an areal shot (our property is right above the word "Beach" in "Long Beach") and a shot of the beach about 5 minutes' walk away. The lot leads off into the forests, w/ trails to the beach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 20.26.36.png
Views:	37
Size:	622.5 KB
ID:	120639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windward.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	120640  

Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
FWIW there are a fair number of similar vintage units scattered around the NY Finger Lakes. If they were continuously cared for they are still decent. A lot have had a roof erected over the old trailer and a room or two added. It works. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
Nice find!

You are about half way between an RV and a mobile home.

I am very familiar with both. For now I would keep it and clean it up. Not to many of those left in this world.

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Focus Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I bet you'll have her in tip-top shape in no time at all!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
love it way cool
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome to IRV2. Enjoy fixing it up and making it your own.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #14
Been to Long Beach many times. You picked a good location to start. Good Luck with your ocean property.

Rocky, Anniey, and Joy (Our Toy Poodle)
2006 Bounder Diesel 38L
Rockbit is offline   Reply With Quote