Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New to the RV world and wonder what you think

Hello everyone! We are very excited to join the RV world. My husband and I have been looking at used RV's and are currently excited about two 03' Rexhall Air's we have seen. One has 42K miles and is in great inside condition. They are asking $49,900 for it. The other one (identical layouts) has 59K miles, exceptionally clean inside, asking $44,500.

The higher priced has advertised "new" tires, but we note there is a mix of brands. Two Hanooks in the front, 3 Hercules and one Goodyear in the back. Is this common and, moreover, is it acceptable to have a variety of brands?

With regards to the higher mileage, lower priced vehicle -- should we be concerned with the 59K miles??? Tires are Michelon with small cracks beginning in back tires (someone said we probably have 2 yrs to drive on them before replacement would be necessary--REALLY?).

thoughts on the asking prices for these? do you recommend purchasing a warranty?

So, here we are...asking for your seasoned advise. You are the experts.

thanks for any suggestions you may offer us...we look forward to seeing you on the road!

Kathleen and Ron
Tucson
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

As far as the tires I don't know of a good reason why you would have three different brands of "New" tires but if they are new and they are the same size, weight ratings then they should be safe. In both cases have your hubby check the date codes on the tires to see how "New" they really are. The Michelins on the second unit may be origonal and if so have them replaced at the dealers expense.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Smile

My husband and I are still fairly new at this. We purchased our first Class A, 2010 Fleetwood Terra, last December, 14K miles and about $10-$15K lower than the prices you mentioned. Ours was in excellent condition but only one slide-out and not luxurious. I don't know if the Rexhall Air is gas or diesel and I'm not familiar with the name at all. If it's gas, I think it may be a little overpriced for the mileage; diesel is a different story. Someone else, please chime in with maybe a more knowledgeable answer.

What we've read about tires is buy new ones at 10 years, so we did. As my husband said, the tires were expensive but it would be ugly to be out on the road and have a blow-out. We purchased an extended warranty. Was it smart? I don't know; I felt more comfortable but my husband felt it was a waste.

Best of luck and enjoy. We definitely love it and can't wait to go full-time, which is still at least 5 years off. See you on the road.
DPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Look at the number on the tires after DOT. It's a date code. First two numbers equal the week of the year. Second two numbers equal the year. You can tell when the tires were produced. Dont trust the salesperson to tell you.

1109 would be the 11th week (3rd week of March) in 2009.

Five years is considered a SAFE life use. After that it depends on maintenance, weather exposure, mileage, What they have been sitting on, etc.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Kathleen & Ron! Welcome to IRV2! You have come to the right place to get the answers you need. All the MH folks on here will be glad to help. Good luck on whichever rig you decide on!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote