RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

New to the USA and motorhomes of this size!

Hi there,

My wife and I recently moved to California from Europe and decided to purchase an older motor home. We want to see more of this and neighboring states, as well as going to some events with a nice place to sleep

We originally were looking at Class C but did check out some vehicles in each class. We are both over 6ft tall and found the beds rather lacking in many - specifically corner beds are a no go.

We ended up purchasing a 2000 Tiffin Allegro M28 Chevy trade-in from a dealer at short notice, yes not the smartest thing to do but it seemed to tick all the boxes for the price.

mjleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

As well as to the states I hope it all goes well for you both.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and good luck with your new rig. Life is an adventure!

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

This looks like a nice rig. At first, you will be on a steep learning curve, but many good times are in your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjleonard View Post
Hi there,

My wife and I recently moved to California from Europe and decided to purchase an older motor home. We want to see more of this and neighboring states, as well as going to some events with a nice place to sleep

We originally were looking at Class C but did check out some vehicles in each class. We are both over 6ft tall and found the beds rather lacking in many - specifically corner beds are a no go.

We ended up purchasing a 2000 Tiffin Allegro M28 Chevy trade-in from a dealer at short notice, yes not the smartest thing to do but it seemed to tick all the boxes for the price.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcome

As for the learning curve its definitely already started. My list so far:

1) HWH leveling system now working. It had multiple electronic failures which I have fixed, and adjusted all jacks for correct vertical/horizontal positioning.

2) Made a new bracket to support the cooker/oven, as it appears to have never been mounted correctly from the factory (hole cut too big)

3) Re-sealed rear seam, front left to do - rubber roof its self and other joints look good.

4) Removed dashboard, repainted, cleaned and re-installed all gauges and controls.

5) Fixed a few loose trim panels

6) Removed bedroom CRT TV cabinet, refitted window valance so not held in place by TV cabinet.

7) Removed dash CRT + CB radio

Lots more on my to-do list, but most things are pretty low cost bar time
Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

I assume that yours is on a P32 chassis with the 7.4L Chevy Vortec engine (I have a 2002 28 ft Safari Trek with the 8.1L on the wide track version of the same platform, the wide track 8.1 P32 was introduced in 2001). Mine has a number of suspension upgrades to help with handling, probably the best bang for the buck you can do to a P32 is to add a rear trac bar (cost about $600, and can be DIY with basic tools if you are handy), I would also suggest checking and replacing your sway bar bushing if they are original.

You might also consider taking it to a good RV shop that specializes in P32 motorhomes, there are a few in your region, Redlands east of Los Angeles, Henderson Line up in Grants Pass OR, or possibly Brazels in Centralia, WA depending on which way your travels take you, some of these shops have on site hook ups so you can stay in your RV while it is waiting to go into the shop.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I assume that yours is on a P32 chassis with the 7.4L Chevy Vortec engine (I have a 2002 28 ft Safari Trek with the 8.1L on the wide track version of the same platform, the wide track 8.1 P32 was introduced in 2001). Mine has a number of suspension upgrades to help with handling, probably the best bang for the buck you can do to a P32 is to add a rear trac bar (cost about $600, and can be DIY with basic tools if you are handy), I would also suggest checking and replacing your sway bar bushing if they are original.
You are right its a P32 14,800lb chassis with the 454(7.4). Thank you for the suggestion, the rear trac bar sounds a great addition.

I know the shocks have all been replaced with Koni, and the supersteer bell cranks put in, but I cant remember seeing a rear trac bar (but I wasn't looking for it).

The previous owner has changed a few things for the better for sure, and its only got 44k miles and the engine seems to run very well.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Welcome to the RV community.
One thing I can think of is on the Chevy engines, the exhaust manifolds tend to crack if you run it real hard on long uphill pulls. I just back off the throttle to about 3/4 and cruise up the hills nice and easy. (Saves a bit on gas too!)
By the way, like it says in my signature, wrench or screwdrivers are kept busy!
Have fun!!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Welcome to the RV community.
One thing I can think of is on the Chevy engines, the exhaust manifolds tend to crack if you run it real hard on long uphill pulls. I just back off the throttle to about 3/4 and cruise up the hills nice and easy. (Saves a bit on gas too!)
What also causes the manifolds to crack & manifold bolts to break is pulling up a hill "balls to the wall" then when you get to the viewpoint immediately shutting the engine off without letting it idle for 5 minutes or so to let it cool down..It can also cause a headbolt or 3 to snap.....(real common on a Cummins 335 or a Iron Lung 2 six bits)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Looks like a nice rig. You seem to have a good start on renovations. Best of luck.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Glad your here. Safe travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
What also causes the manifolds to crack & manifold bolts to break is pulling up a hill "balls to the wall" then when you get to the viewpoint immediately shutting the engine off without letting it idle for 5 minutes or so to let it cool down..It can also cause a headbolt or 3 to snap.....(real common on a Cummins 335 or a Iron Lung 2 six bits)
Yep,and limited airflow to back cyls. Bilge pumps and dryer hose helps..

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes