Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #1

Help Wanted On Ride & Handling

I have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer with Workhouse chassis (46,000 miles) and would like to improve ride and handling. Anyone tried sumo shocks or Source Engineering products?
GranpawMt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #3

On our W22 Itasca Suncruiser i have virtually all ride enhancement components available but no Sumo Springs. I have front and rear track bars, front and rear sway bars, koni FSD shocks, Safe T Steer stabilizer. Ride and handling are very good for a gas powered motorhome.

Over the years ive noticed the right rear of the coach is starting to sag a little. Im trying to decide if I should just shim up the spring pack, add airbags and keep a little more pressure in the right rear or add sumo springs and mount then so the right rear has a little more load on the sumo.

None of those options are perfect and each is a compromise. The advantage of an airbag is it is adjustable and I can adjust inflation if the spring on that side continues to drop more. The disadvantage to an airbag is....... well, its an airbag.

What is your coach doing/not doing that makes you want to improve the ride and handling
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GranPaw...what pressure are your tires set at?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:21 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranpawMt View Post
I have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer with Workhouse chassis (46,000 miles) and would like to improve ride and handling. Anyone tried sumo shocks or Source Engineering products?

What series do you have? P32, or W series. Makes a big difference as to what is available.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #6

I added new shocks (Koni), a SafeTPlus steering stabilizer, a rear track bar, and a good front end alignment with 5+ degrees of caster.
Handles way better than when I bought it 4 years ago.
Still don't like the rock hard front suspension, but I don't think I can do anything about that.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

Currently set at 91PSI
Old 06-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #8

It is a P32
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #9

It takes bumps/potholes pretty hard and there is a good amount of sway. My Adventurer is in fantastic shape with almost every system upgraded BUT I think the ride should be better. I have not done any thing to the chassis thus far. Also has only 48k to date.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranpawMt View Post
It is a P32
A set of Sumosprings in the rear may help

A sway bar is available. I believe this use to be available at Ultra RV. Not for sure now.

For the front, you can find some new springs that eliminate the air bag system. But you have to weigh your front end to get the perfect match. I believe you are suppose to have it loaded as if ready to travel. I believe they are made be SuperSteer.

A company called Steer Safe make a device that help with steering in crosswinds and is suppose to help with a front tire blow out.

There are a few options out there. A good internet search, and a search of this site will bring you several choices. But manufactures for P32 upgrades is very limited.

Good luck on your search and enjoy the ride.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #11

I have timbren in the front and Sumo in the rear. I did this because I couldn't find a thicker roll bar for my chassis. Replacing the bushings with poly is all I could do. I think they helped.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #12

2004 Holiday Rambler ambassador SE 30Pdd. see signature. I added Koni FSD and a rear track bar. The 18000 lb chassis had large sway bars, but I know the PO had done some work, so I think they are upsized. The Koni shocks were the best addition to ride. The track bar helped a bit with sway from passing big rigs, but it wasn't bad to begin with. I replaced the front air bags, and they make a significant difference when set to 100 psi, but even with that I'm about 1" low in the front. Going to get the front springs replaced in Oregon ASAP.
gozierdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Workhorse W22 handling

Hello Friends.

We picked up a good used Fleetwood Bounder with a Workhorse W22 Chassis. It’s a Bounder 35B and s 2004. 60,000 miles and in very good shape. Have not taken any long trips yet as we have only had it about a month but have taken a few day trips to get the bugs sorted out.

Driving on both highway and 2 lane to see how she handles in high wind, and twisty roads. So far I’m impressed as it tracks pretty straight with not much sway or porpoising.

On my Chassis, I see stock sway bars in front and back that appear to be original and are connected between the springs and not connected to the frame.

Am I correct that this is what they are? Also considering enhancements. Opinions?
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
An easy thing to do to improve the ride is have the RV weighed when loaded for a typical trip. Our 2008 W22 tire pressure sticker said 90 psi front and back. In my case and knowing the front and rear RV weights, the Michelin tire pressure chart said I could run 75 psi in the front & 80 psi in the rear.
I actually run 5 psi more than that but was a big improvement when driving over road joints/potholes. I felt the original rear sway bar(2 1/2" square bar) was weak as the RV rocked side to side easily on uneven road surfaces. I installed a Roadmaster sway bar to reduce this. I also added a rear trac bar at the same time as it was easy to do.
A steering stabilizer can help on the front if you find you are needing to "over steer" sometimes. Overall, the W22 suspension is very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4765_resize.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	253437  
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote