Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
New (young) guy checking in

Well hey, I think I might be the youngest member. I know I was on the last RV site I came from. I'm 21, I have my own truck, and my own TT, I bought my TT from my uncle a year ago for $650. It's old, but it has air conditioning and a fridge and thats all I care about.
I love camping, I go quite a bit between April and October. I live in Michigan so you couldn't ask for a better state to camp in. My main campground that I usually go to brings me only 8 miles away from home. Yankee Springs State Park Gun Lake unit. The reason I camp so close is because it's close enough to home but far enough for my family to not bother me. I'm 21 and still live at home, and I just like to get away.
Plus I go camping a lot with my neighbors, and they have 2 little girls that around somewhere around 5 and 7. They go camping, and they would yell across the street "ANDY WE"RE GOING CAMPING!!!" and I would yell back to that "I know I"m going too!" Then they would get all excited, so that's always fun.
Each year we end out camping trips with the Octoberfest at the state park, that is always lots of fun.

Lastly I am coming from another RV site that was "family friendly" and I thought it was a little to strict when the moderators yell at me for saying "holy cow" and I would get a message saying "You can cover up profanity by saying words like you did and it is not acceptable, and people know what you are saying, so please do not put words like that again" Just piddly stuff like that irritates me.
Other than that, I'm one of those "youngsters" that you can walk up to and start a conversation with and it wouldn't bother me at all. You can have a beer and I'll have a rootbeer and have a good time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Andy;

Welcome to iRV2. I am a little envious. I was not able to start RVing until I was 52. I missed a lot of years. You have many wonderful years of camping ahead of you and I encourage you continue camping as often as you can.

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Hi Don, nice to meet you.
I plan to keep camping, and I would like to eventually travel the United States when I retire at 30...or maybe a little later than that.
My next plan is a newer truck, a newer 5th wheel, and a little better job so I can afford the gas to drive places pulling the camper.
My mom doesn't see the appeal of camping, she thinks its like going to the county fair only without the rides. She has never camped a day in her life, and she thinks camping is like it was way back without campers when you're sleeping on the ground. I keep telling her it's a lot different now a days.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Man,you've got it made!! Wish I'd had the gumption to do this when I was your age. Welcome and enjoy life. Ed
Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #5

Andy, Welcome to the forum and congrats on being able to get into RVing at such an early age. Don't give up. Wish I would have been able to do it then also. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #6

From about 17 to 20 I hitchhiked all over the country. Took all the back roads I could find. Camped in some fantastic places.
Don't lose the dream.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Wow, thanks for the welcomes, I do not plan on slowing down on RVing. I started going to the state park with a friend of mine when we were 16, you have to be 17 to reserve a site, so my grandma would come and get us a site and she would leave, we had a great time, we slept in a tent, that lasted about a year, then my uncle said I could take his pop-up camper, that went good, but setting it up and tearing down got less fun. Then my friend moved away and had house payments and has no free time and works 6 days a week. So then my other uncle said he is selling his TT for $1000, then I got him down to $650
I figured I'd have as much fun before I get tied down with a full time job and bigger obligations and house payments and all that stuff.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #8

I figured I'd have as much fun before I get tied down with a full time job and bigger obligations and house payments and all that stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ! That stuff ain't no fun lol............

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #9

My son just turned 21. He also loves to camp, although he has my tent(s) since I purchased a teardrop camper recently. I also have 19 and 17 year old daughters. We all like to camp except the 17 year old. The older two are living away from us while attending the university so we don't get to camp together often. I know what you mean by needing to get away. Don't we all....?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Well Andy I KNOW where you are coming from.....

I grew up campin. Mom and Dad bought a slide in truck camper when I was young. (Mid 60's timeframe) When I was 18, I bought my OWN slide in for the truck I had at the time. (3/4 ton Dodge with a 440) Cathy and I went on our honeymoon in that rig when I was 21. (Thirty years ago) We have had everything but a pop-up over the years. Our daughters (3 of them) grew up "Campin". I have LOTS of good memories of time we spent together campin when I was growin up. Hopefully our daughters can say the same.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard. I grew up camping, sleeping on a cot on the river banks...no tent. My wife and I started with a borrowed tent and then bought out own and up to a pop up and a series of TT, motorhomes and 5ers. For about 2 years in there we did not have an RV and life was not right until we had a house to pull behind us again.

Enjoy the site. We have a word filter that will block certain words and also do not allow the use of * or --- or such to try and cover up a bad word. We will edit these and send you a note about the problem.

Ken
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #12

Welcome, Andy. I was one of those 'little girls' that got to go camping every year with my parents......we tent camped for 20 years, and us kids (there were actually 5 of us) loved it! When I had my own kids we tent camped and had a van for most of their growing up......DH (who also camped growing up) and I have moved from a tent to a van to a 5er and now to the MH since being empty nesters.......so I have been camping for over 50 years. I think it gets in your blood and it's impossible to shake! So, it sounds like you are ready for a long wonderful ride!
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
wow, I feel more welcome here than I do at the other RV site I go to.
I just got home from camping this weekend, it was fun, even though it rained most of the day friday, we still stayed under my neighbors friends awning, they had a big 18 foot awning while the kids went inside the camper and had their "kids club" which I was invited and declined.
I made chili one night, it turned out great, drank pop all weekend, gotta love camping
Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Andy. Its refreshing to have some younger ideas. Please continue posting especially nearer to 30...I can't wait to hear of your adventures after you've retired.