Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #1

Newbie from British Columbia.

Hi to all. We have a 2012 Outdoors RV - WindRiver 230RKS - 26' Trailer. Spent 3 months in AZ in 2015 - our first Snowbird trip. Retired in 2014. Next big trip is 4 months across Canada - leaving Penticton, BC about 3rd week of May. Have issues with our trailer roof at the moment and unable to resolve. I will search iRV2 Forum & if no solution then will post our issues. Also looking into putting a Satellite Dish - completely Automatic one, on the roof of the trailer. Searching for any suggestions.
BC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the forum .

Believe Winegard makes a Traveler auto dish for both Shaw Direct and Bell.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #3

Have issues with our trailer roof at the moment and unable to resolve. I will search iRV2 Forum & if no solution then will post our issues. Also looking into putting a Satellite Dish - completely Automatic one, on the roof of the trailer. Searching for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Are you having leakage problems with the roof? There are some good sealing products on the market. I use some for weather on the island.
If you choose a Winegard dish they are about $2500 to $2700 CDN.(installed plus tax). Be aware that you won't get a Bell signal any further south than about 200 miles from the border. You'll get Shaw in Canada & most places down south with the exception of some of the HD channels.
Having a trailer, you must be certain that the roof will support support the unit. You may want to consider a portable unit about the size of a basket ball. It gives you the option to move it from under trees etc. to get a signal when there are obstacles blocking the signal. I use a dish on a tripod with 60' of cable. Easy to set up once you do it a couple of times. Total cost: about $200 or less. First, determine which satellite provider you want to subscribe with. The other option is to use the an over the air antenna. TV stations in Canada and the USA broadcast in HD for free. These are some choices, good luck.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us.

I have a KVH (not sure of the model right now) it has been good.

TracVision - Making satellite TV as mobile as you are!

Good luck and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Welcome to iRV2. From a former Kelowna resident.

JMHO: roof mount satellite dish will give you fits in many RV parks due to, trees, other RVs or buildings; mine has; if I was in the market for one I'd be giving serious consideration to a carry out unit.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #8

Thanks Trux - Roof issues are that upon purchase on our new WindRiver 230RKS we were told we had a rubber roof and should be cleaning it once or even twice a year with Rubber Roof Cleaner. We were sold that day a 2 part CAMCO product - Cleaner & then Roof Treatment. We had hear that treatment is not required, but it can't hurt. So we bought the product. To make a very long story short - we used the CAMCO products and our white roof is now as brown as a card board box. I have had dozens of emails and phone calls back and forth to Outdoors RV, Camco, Alpha (roof manufacturer), and the RV dealer who sold us the CAMCO product for our "Rubber Roof" otherwise known as EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) We have now discovered that we do not have an EPDM roof as we were told by the RV dealer. We have a TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin) which is like a vinyl. Good product, but no treatment required AND under no circumstances use a Silicone based product like CAMCO. Everyone has now confirmed that. So I am still at a stalemate with RV dealer as to what they are going to do about my roof. No one can come up with something that will clean this roof. No point in having a white roof for heat & sun reflection. I am furious, but so far have retained my cool, until the RV dealer comes up with a solution. What has happened is that the CAMCO product did not dry on the roof - it remained tacky. Therefore every dust that we went through or even just sitting in our back yard - the dust settles and just sticks to the Silicone product that did not absorb into the Vinyl, nor did it really dry. Outdoors RV online manual that I downloaded & printed out when we bought the trailer addressed care of a rubber roof. (No mention of a TPO roof)
Here is a picture of our roof after 2 of us spent 2 hours each scrubbing the first 2 feet of a 26 foot roof. Even the "cleaner" part is really not very clean.
So that is my roof issue.

Can't figure out how to post the picture. LOL
Old 02-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #9

TRUX - We were looking at the Winegard dish at about $2500. I know there are pros & cons with it being on the roof. We will definitely will go with SHAW as we want to use it when Snowbirding in the southern US. I will contact Outdoors RV to see if they recommend putting that large dish on the roof. Otherwise Shaw will give us a dish & we will buy the tripod as you say. For some reason I just cannot see us setting this up every day or two as we move across Canada. I do have this little SHAW APP called Free Range TV and you can get so far 27 channels on your laptop or iPad. They are adding channels all the time - so they say. I am going to get the right HDMI cord tomorrow and go out to the trailer and see if I can play these channels on my TV in the trailer. Essentially all we really want is our local news, Canadian News and the network stations. There are BC1 News, the National, CTV, Global BC, Movie channels, showcase, movie time, 2 National Geo channels History, Velocity, Discovery, 2 sports , and others. So that may be all we need. Along with any Digital channels we get over air. But in Canada it seems we rarely get a Digital channel come in, unless we are in the middle of a big city. In the US we get a few more. I will post again when I see how this Shaw - Free Range TV works in the trailer. Only downfall is that you have to have Wi-Fi. So now that this just popped into my head - I will likely go with the portable Dish for Shaw like you have
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Replaced the roof on our 5er a couple years ago. Replaced the EPDM and roof sheeting. Not too bad a task if you have the tools and a place to have the trailer inside while working on it.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #11

230RKS Roof

Here is the picture of our roof last summer - I have not been up to look at it after this winter yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000379.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	119253  
Old 02-18-2016, 02:23 AM   #12

Wow! What a mess the product has made on your roof. I would suggest you tell the dealer to exchange your trailer for a similar new one (if bought new). Sounds to me like the salesman didn't know what he was talking about(very common), but that is the dealership owner's responsibility. What also compounds it is that he sold you the treatment products too. I don't know what long term effect this may have on the roof material but, if you don't get it straightened out before you leave, you will be left holding the bag. And that could be very costly. I suggest you try to get a hold of the roof material manufacturer and tell them what happened. They should know what may result after using the Camco products. If is only a dis-colouration issue, then you can always have the roof professionally done with a product that will last a lifetime and is a two step process aitpplied with a roller. I saw it installed on a motorhome with fiberglass roof when I was in Mesa last year. The cost was around $4000 US for a 40 roof. I can find a link to their website if you need it. It may be a good idea to speak to the owner of the RV shop you bought your trailer at, and remind him that word gets around very fast in the RV community about poor customer service. If he does the right thing, it's like buying the best advertising possible. If you decide to go with Shaw/Direct, don't mention that you will be traveling with the dish as they may charge you a fee for what is referred to as "cottage" charge. There is no benefit or difference to service or reception. They will come to where your trailer is setup and install the system for you if you choose the tripod. I have a tracking dome by KVH on my motorhome that I used everywhere but it only worked for Bell, Dishnetwork or Direct, not Shaw. After Bell sent up a new satellite and shifted the beam further north, I went with Shaw and manually setup when parking for longer stays. I also bought the PVR reciever from Shaw that lets me record programs that I play when I stop overnight and don't want to setup the tripod. The automatic rooftop unit is great if you don't mind the cost.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #13

Hello and welcome to the forum from South Central Kentucky.

BEAR
Bear1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:17 AM   #14

Thanks TRUX
I have been in long discussion with Outdoors RV, RV Sales Dealer, Sales Manager, Parts Manager, Alpha (roof material manufacturer), CAMCO. All of them many times. My Emails go back and forth to all. I am giving the RV dealer the time he wants to do his own test. It is not just a discolouration issue. The CAMCO product remained tacky for quite some time and I suspect just airborne particles are imbedded in the CAMCO Silicone product. Seems when the roof gets wet and then is mostly dry it is a bit tacky again. Hence more airborne particles sticking. Alpha the roofing material manufacturer said try scrubbing with household cleaners, Tub & Tile, Mr Clean, Fantastic and even bleach. WOW! Well none of them did any better than another. The bleach worried me - I did try it on a small section about 12" x 12" but was concerned about the bleach running off or sealing into somewhere. I have watched that Video on DICOR's 2 part product that is rolled on - need 2 coats of each product so 4 coats rolled in total. Cost is about $400 - $500 from what I could figure. The dealer is talking using that product - Well for sure I am not doing it. I called and emailed DICOR and they say this product can be used on an EPDM or TPO roof. BUT they do not know what the adhesion or results would be putting it over this Silicone CAMCO product that was used incorrectly. They would not guarantee anything. Dealer tells me that "the people they spoke with said it would be fine". I have asked the dealer "what people?" I have been very patient until they provide me with their "test" results hopefully this month. I have not made any demands or threats to go public with the details, YET. If I do not get some very favourable to me response in the next month, my demands will be emailed to them. I will be demanding a new roof be put on. I am willing to drive the trailer down to Outdoors RV and I want it done there, not by some yahoo at the dealer. So far I have not mentioned the dealer name to anyone, but that may change.

Yes we have decided to go with the SHAW on the tripod. We are concerned about parking under trees and obstructions with the dish on the roof. So will get a good Sat finder and just use it when we park for a few days at a time. I know not to tell Shaw that we will use it in the US, but they know when you say you want it for travelling across Canada that likely includes the US. Our friends have never had a problem. Just can't call Shaw from AZ and ask for help setting it up.
Thanks for all the suggestions

Tags