Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #1

Smile Newbie from NJ

Hello All! We are seriously considering a RV purchase but have zero experience to help choose. Only the two of us so nothing too big. I am looking at a 27 foot 2007 Dutchman class C - really clean,low miles. Just unsure if a 5 year old rig is a good choice. Certainly has a better price entry point than a new one, although I love the Thor ACE EVO ( but it's twice the $$ ) .
Also looked at a new Prism with Mercedes diesel. Again, a lot more $$ but am thinking the fuel savings with a diesel might make it worthwhile. Anyone have any exp with the Prism, especially relative to maintenance? My son says the diesel is too expensive to maintain but compared to the mileage a V-10 gets it seems a fair trade off.
I would really appreciate any help and guidance. We are excited about this new venture and are trying to start right.
THANKS!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 ... You have asked alot of questions..but you need to answer a few yourself... How are you using the RV. Are you going to full time, extended travel..or just weekends? How you use your MH will help determine it's size, the type of engine...etc. Buy the MH that suits your needs.. Alot of Rv systems are the same in all MH's... And you will get plenty of opinions... But you have to love it...The floor plan and livability is what I think is important... Welcome to the group.. And best of luck in your search....D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks, and welcome to IRV2! It's a tough choice, trying to look at all the ins and outs of a first RV. Just take your time and weigh all the options before you jump in. Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to a follow Jerzeeite! Diesel in a class C I wouldn't think would buy you much since the MPG savings would most likely be offset by the price of the fuel and the high cost of maintenance. I had a Class C with a Ford V-10 and now own a Class A with the same engine. I'm a weekend warrior so it's a great power plant for the way I use it. I towed my Jetta on a Tow dolly with out motorcycle in the back of thew toy hauler through the mountains on the east coast as well as to Key west and back without a single issue as well as the mileage not changing much from the 7mpg we usually get.

We're in Bridgewater if you have any more questions.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the replies

What a friendly site! Thanks for the answers and advice. Seems like quite a few people eventually graduate to a Class A. I am curious what aspect of these vehicles drives the choice versus other classes. I'm guessing it's mainly the room and comfort of something that size, but are there other factors that make a Class A superior to a Class C or is it simply a matter of taste?We aren't planning on being full timers (yet) but do see ourselves using it more and more as we gain experience. We're still comparing various models, both new and used. Any advice on major pitfalls to avoid?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You're correct in that a larger floor plan drove part of our decision to move up. We had a Thor FourWinds toy hauler and moved up to a Damon Outlaw toy hauler. Partly because of the space gained but also things like improved heating and cooling, automatic leveling, more underneath storage, better sleeping comfort since in a class C toy hauler we were sleeping over the cab and that was rough.

There's a lot of discussions here regarding the choice to full time in a class C and you'll see that a lot of people have tried it with not so positive results. A lot of the reason being a lack of basement storage on the C models required for full time living.

There's a big show coming up in January out in Hershey, PA and another in Raritan in the spring that can be a great time for understanding what's out there and how they compare.

Tags