Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Question Newbie from Northeastern US

My name is Jewelee. We just purchased a used 30' 2000 Sportsman travel trailer with slider and hardtop awning that is situated in a park in Chautauqua Lake NY. We have elected to leave it in the park as a seasonal for the time being. To make a long story short, we purchased this unit for a very decent price (I think) 8 weeks ago. We never met the owners, and the park sold it on consignment. We are BRAND NEW travel trailer owners. We have paid the park to winterize our unit (since we are clueless). I have a number of questions if you could please help us>>>>
1.When we close up before the park comes in with the antifreeze should we put or slider in?
2.Also we do not know what a few switches are for. There is one in a cupboard in the main living area (above the entertaincenter)and one for the slider. If anyone has this model please advise us Also there is one in the bathroom medicine cabinet!
3.Also, we have gone through the brown tower of doom because being new we were unaware we needed to run water into our holding tank after emptying it (we have been using this sawdust looking bacteria stuff the try to disintergrate the toilet paper, solids are breaking up but they are not completely broken up. Will the tank be ok over winter with antifreeze in it?
4.Also we have a hard top awning and we are looking to replace our screens next season. Any advice on what to do> we presently have Coleman screenroom on it, and would like a little more solid of a screen Room framing. the size is 20x8.
5. Can we leave out hard top up in the winter (this area gets harsh winters (Chautauqua Lake is located in the snowbelt between Erie, PA and Buffalo NY)
5. Any other winterizing advice would be great!

We purchased this unit to see if we would like having a travel trailer. We are trying to learn as much as we can, but we need crash course advice an prepping for winter. This is going to be our unit for another 1-2 seasons then if things go well we are purchasing a brand new 5th wheel, travel trailer, or park model.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

jeweleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jewelee, and welcome to the party! We don't have a TT so can't be of help to you. I think you need to get the model number of the TT and post the questions over in the travel trailer section. I'm sure someone there will be able to help. It would really be good if you could find someone local that will spend some time with you on this. Good luck!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
I posted there! Thanks for the advice!
jeweleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I agree find someone local to go through the TT with you. Most RV'ers are always willing to share information and help out.
So much to learn when new and still some to learn after you have learned.
The people at the CG should be able to refer you to someone who can go through the trailer with you. I would assume if they are winterizing it for you they could be of assistance with your questions.
Congratulations on your purchase and I hope you have many great travels and memories.
Welcome to the forum.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote