Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #15

Safari Zanzibar

WonderingKat are you aware that the Safari company went out of business years ago and correct me if I am wrong, if you have a factory part their isn't a factory to get factory parts at. I too considered a honey of a deal for a 2007 new never used Safari and when I researched it, found out that they no longer exist and the company that bought them out closed in 2009. Just something for you to consider.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Sandy, I agree, a MH would be a nice way to go for you, the grandkids and the cats. Ours sure like it.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
Welcome to IRV2. We have all of the answers here! Any subject, any time. We know it all...!!

What do you know about Rt 301 around DC and Balti? Someone has suggested we take that route south this year. Any comments?
I've never used that route since it doesn't help any where I go. It would certainly keep you out of the nasty traffic around the DC area. Our traffic is all it's fabled to be and more when any weather is in the mix. Route 301 is a popular side-step to the traffic so you won't be alone. I would only caution you to check the weather carefully since there is a lengthy bridge and gusty winds sure would turn your rig into a submarine (much slower driving through water ). If for some mad reason you take I-95, go through the area super early at the literal crack of dawn (be sure your coffee has kicked in) to miss most of the traffic, between 10am and 2pm on weekdays, or after 7pm. On weekends, go through before early afternoon because after that it's one big traffic jam (I only use the side roads if I have to go anywhere at all. Even US Route 1 can be quite the clogged mess with people attempting to avoid 95 although it's marginally better.

Balto is an area I don't know a whole lot about (can't get out of town LOL) but I'd assume they have similar times for rush hour.

Tune into WTOP at 103.5 FM to hear traffic on the 8s on the clock. They have weather right after traffic and then go back to news. Here's their website if you want to see their traffic map WTOP.com - Washington, DC News, Traffic & Weather - A CBS Affiliate - WTOP.com (assuming the copilot can access the web as you travel.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. Oh, and thanks for the welcome and a way to make myself useful here.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travaleen View Post
WonderingKat are you aware that the Safari company went out of business years ago and correct me if I am wrong, if you have a factory part their isn't a factory to get factory parts at. I too considered a honey of a deal for a 2007 new never used Safari and when I researched it, found out that they no longer exist and the company that bought them out closed in 2009. Just something for you to consider.
Traveleen, I'm aware of the company history which has held me back from a number of leaps. This particular rig sticks in my mind because it had such great "bones" to work with. Safari did some "interesting" things with the suspension on their rigs leading to a real love or hate the things. I've done renovations on things before.

With my first (late) husband, we made a VW bus into a camper and had a great time. It was a non-running shell with the two front seats with lots of rust around the side doors. He built an engine; I sewed the cushions and curtains; and we both worked on the design so the walls, kitchen, flooring etc. worked. No bathroom--not enough room. Did make a teensy canopy for the side doors too. We had fun in that and were never cold even in WI since two deep breaths would heat it.

With my second (late) husband, we did a renovation on a TT. It wasn't in the worst shape but it did need a new floor because the one it had was um..of uncertain utility. hehe Parts of the inside wood needed refinishing; the outside was in bad need of paint (did that myself one fine spring day as a surprise to hubby); all fabric goods needed replacing since washing rendered them into piles of lint and thread; the furnace worked as did the sink. the windows and roof vent worked and amazingly didn't leak. Oh, no cook stove so we figured out a little propane camp stove to use and no fridge so we found an end-standing cooler to act like an icebox. After we worked on this for months(including vermin proofing the thing), we took it out on its maiden voyage in late fall and had a grand time. It's hook-ups were so simple it makes me laugh to think back.

So you see I have done renovations in bits and pieces but (and it's a biggie), I've had a real house and yard to do it in. I live in a townhouse now so there isn't any room to work on a big rig and not much (a parking space) for a small one. I suppose I could go to someone's house but that's no much fun and adds a lot of time traveling around. Also, I have no hands-on experience with the more modern rigs. I don't have a partner either to make it fun fixing up (someday maybe).

Ah... so much to consider....
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Welcome Sandy, I agree, a MH would be a nice way to go for you, the grandkids and the cats. Ours sure like it.
Thanks for the lovely welcome.

I figured a MH would be a hit with kids and/or cats and it's nice to see the confirmation here. There's so much to see. One of the things I check out thoroughly is the amount of windows as much for places to look out as for light coming in. Amazingly, many MH are on the dim side. I want and need the light especially on days where I would be inside a lot like if I was running away to have day to sew, quilt, or study (eek, back to school for me) without the distractions of home.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #20

Sandy you are a wonder!

I can not imagine doing all that work. When I owned my mini-winni it had just been remodeled and it sure looked nice but I made the mistake of taking my 1 year old grandson with me (of course his mom was there too) he turned 3 on the road. By the time I parked the RV, bought a house and gave my daughter the RV, he had ruined my great mini. We laughingly called him "Destructor". So you see, I am not into remodeling, I literally gave away the RV rather than remodel.
Hat's off to you girl, it sure sounds like you are up for the challenge when it finally comes along. Don't worry, best training I ever got was from my first husband in the early 70's who taught me everything I know about cars. Not that I do it anymore and cars have changed but I did work on my own vehicles for years, and I learned which mechanic was trying to rip me off when I pulled in to their shop.....which by the way were unbelievably many!
It will be amazing how much you remember from all that training when the time comes to get your rig.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't be overly concerned about "orphan" rigs. We have owned two who's manufacturer's have gone out of business. Never had a problem with the first one and we are planning that our National RV Surf Side will serve us just as well.
Most components are supplied by others, of course, including the running gear. Good luck in your search and many happy camping experiences to come for you.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #22

Thanks Demoon. Boy is that good news, I will check into the Safari that I took a look at. Man is it sweet!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
Hi Sandy, and welcome to IRV2! Happy you decided to join us! Good luck on finding the right MH for your needs! Have fun & God bless!
I appreciate the warm welcome. I lurked for a while before joining and when I saw how nice people were as well as knowledgeable, I got on board. I am in dire need of some fun which is one of many reasons for getting an RV. I'm already anticipating eventually meeting posters at a rally or other event.

I enjoyed tent camping but that's risky business for a single female to just go out on their own these days. Getting into nature regularly seems integral to my sanity. And seasons don't matter a lot to me aside from dangerous weather conditions. Nature is a marvelous thing to behold in person.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #24

A Sister Wrench!

[QUOTE=Travaleen;1028972]I can not imagine doing all that work. When I owned my mini-winni it had just been remodeled and it sure looked nice but I made the mistake of taking my 1 year old grandson with me (of course his mom was there too) he turned 3 on the road. By the time I parked the RV, bought a house and gave my daughter the RV, he had ruined my great mini. We laughingly called him "Destructor". So you see, I am not into remodeling, I literally gave away the RV rather than remodel.
Hat's off to you girl, it sure sounds like you are up for the challenge when it finally comes along. Don't worry, best training I ever got was from my first husband in the early 70's who taught me everything I know about cars. Not that I do it anymore and cars have changed but I did work on my own vehicles for years, and I learned which mechanic was trying to rip me off when I pulled in to their shop.....which by the way were unbelievably many!
It will be amazing how much you remember from all that training when the time comes to get your rig.[/QOTE]

My first husband was a mechanic and taught me quite a bit. I even earned a Suzuki school certificate when he went to motorcycle training with him. I learned a lot from my Dad too. You are so right that it helps when going to a repair shop. It also helps when dealing with salesmen who want to help you begin shopping by asking what color vehicle you want. I love my girly things but have my priorities. I try to not broadcast my skills (guess I blew it here hehehe) since it seems to put potential dates off.

I kept my hand on the wrench or hammer mostly for survival reasons. I have to remind myself that just because I can do something doesn't mean I have to or should. I can choose to do the fun stuff and hire out the rest.

Presently, I'd like to not be compelled to do remodeling. I need to finish up some college classes for my degree and then there are the never-ending fix-its around the homestead. I'd rather find a used coach that needs small improvements unless I find a super fab deal on a new one.

All I know is life is a trip so enjoy the ride.

Regarding kids and destruction, yep, they seem to come together. However, I fortunately inherited from my father--and passed on to my son--"The Look". This "Look" will put the fear of God into any kid and many adults thereby avoiding much destruction or other tricks about to be pulled. "The Look" properly used can freeze deviltry and pranks in their tracks. Children, animals, and unwary adults don't act badly more than once at my house. I wish I could patent and sell this but alas it's all in the genes.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #25

Orphan Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Don't be overly concerned about "orphan" rigs. We have owned two who's manufacturer's have gone out of business. Never had a problem with the first one and we are planning that our National RV Surf Side will serve us just as well.
Most components are supplied by others, of course, including the running gear. Good luck in your search and many happy camping experiences to come for you.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. For some reason, the Zanzibar mentioned above has stuck in my mind. I've looked at other previously loved rigs that were in better condition, but something about this one really catches my imagination. I've read on other places online about the unusual suspension this has plus a potential balance problem (no big deal if you never go far or at any speed) so I'm not sure about tackling these things; they require knowledgeable, professional attention, not me and my toolbox. (The Homeowners association would have multiple cows over it too. )

Problem is I see in my mind how nice this would be fixed right, updated furniture, and redecorated. About that point, the bargain doesn't exist but great satisfaction sure does. There is such a nearly irresistible lure to saying 'I did this myself.'

Decisions, decisions...

Tags