Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newbie geklein

Good day
My name is Gerald. I live in southern Illinois and am recently retired.
I bought a new home had a garage builds and put a used class a in it about 2 years ago.

I've been to the golfed twice local campsites and Washington DC to see the Vietnam Memorial and The Wounded Veterans Memorial With A friend and a retired Marine who is suffering from the effects of Agent orange.

So far this year it's not been out of the garage. I joined this forum to see if I can get some advice and some help. I'd like to take it over the mountains but I'm afraid to take the trip does anyone have the best advice for which way to go?

The engine heater does not shut off when the air-conditioners on. The good of that is that I found that it's more cost-efficient to run the air-conditioners off the generator. However I Likes things to work. The local Ford dealers have no clue how to handle of engine of this size. Any recommendations?

I accidentally tore a 18 inch slit in the protective covering of the awning. Recommendations please for repair tape or someone who can replace that section without replacing the whole awning. If not I'll tape myself as best I can and wait till it all falls apart then replace it but I'm too cheap to replace it just for looks.

I hope to get some response I look forward to that and it appears as if response to this system will trigger into my email which is helpful because I'm still learning how to use posts and replies. Again recommendations were best to look would be appreciated. For any old hats to take pity on us newbies thanks and have a great day.

Gerald

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

Welcome Gerald! I think if you provide some details on year and model of your class A the experienced members here will be happy to offer advice.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Welcome Gerald from one of your southern neighbors in Kentucky.

Quote:
My name is Gerald. I live in southern Illinois and am recently retired. Congratulations on your retirement! Its sure feels good doesn't it?
I bought a new home had a garage builds and put a used class a in it about 2 years ago.

I've been to the golfed twice local campsites and Washington DC to see the Vietnam Memorial and The Wounded Veterans Memorial With A friend and a retired Marine who is suffering from the effects of Agent orange.

So far this year it's not been out of the garage. Why? We love early spring the best for exploring this beautiful country. I joined this forum to see if I can get some advice and some help. I'd like to take it over the mountains but I'm afraid to take the trip does anyone have the best advice for which way to go? When you took the coach to Washington from Southern Illinois didn't you go over some hills along the way? How did the rig handle? What concerns do you have?

The engine heater does not shut off when the air-conditioners on. I assume you mean the dashboard air conditioner and dashboard heater? The good of that is that I found that it's more cost-efficient to run the air-conditioners off the generator. We generally use a combination of the dashboard air conditioner and the roof top air conditioners. I set the rooftop ones to a temperature and when the boss says "I'm getting hot" I hit the generator button and on they come cooling things down till I hear "boy it is sure getting chilly in here." However I Likes things to work. We sure agree on that one! The local Ford dealers have no clue how to handle of engine of this size. Any recommendations? Size of the engine shouldn't matter. Just from the general description you gave, I would look at some sort of valve that stops the engine water from circulating. My guess is it is tied into the heating system. Example, when you turn on the dashboard heater the valve open and you get hot air. For a quick fix, you could always install a valve and prevent the hot engine water from circulating.

I accidentally tore a 18 inch slit in the protective covering of the awning. Recommendations please for repair tape or someone who can replace that section without replacing the whole awning. If not I'll tape myself as best I can and wait till it all falls apart then replace it but I'm too cheap to replace it just for looks. Sorry I can't help you on this one.

I hope to get some response I look forward to that and it appears as if response to this system will trigger into my email which is helpful because I'm still learning how to use posts and replies. Again recommendations were best to look would be appreciated. For any old hats to take pity on us newbies thanks and have a great day.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Hi Gerald

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

I saw a video that showed repairing a torn awning with Eterna Bond tape. It is a temporary repair.

If you go to the header bar above and click User CP, you will get a drop down box, click edit signature. You should input the important info regarding your rig, as I have at the bottom of my post. By doing so you will get more responses to your questions.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gerald! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Welcome Gerald from one of your southern neighbors in Kentucky.
Thank you for your excellent reply.

INDEED RETIREMENT IS GREAT EXCEPT I AM MORE BUSY NOW THAN i WAS WORKED 40 TO 60 HOURS A WEEK.

family issues and a new house eat up a significant amount of time and that's okay family issues are important and the house will be so new in about a year or so when I finish remodeling.

the trip to Washington did indeed have some hills not anything significant and I've took a retired Marine friend who is used to driving the vehicles and he taught me more about using the clutch as a break. The Hells to North and South Carolina were larger. Again as long as you expected the hills to combine were ready for it they weren't that bad.

I am very worried about traveling to the West Coast I'm investigating both the northern route on 91 and a southern route on 8?.

the air conditioner problem has been narrowed to a electrical switch that is supposed to do exactly what you said in terms of change valve controls it doesn't work and needs to be replaced and I'm having a difficult time finding a replacement is afford 10 cylinder of approximately 2007 vintage.

in researching the repairs there is repair tape for cross country vehicles there is retail repair tape for awnings both cloth and vinyl but I can't find anyone who has found a place to repair just the protective covering by detaching one ensuing on a new. In research there is one person who use dental floss to so on patch material I assume that was for canvas and they said that it worked fairly well. It's always good to share what research with anybody else because the more we know the better will be.

Again I appreciate your kind response and enjoyed the read baked into my notes to form your replies.

Have a great day
Old 06-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtrekers View Post
Welcome Gerald! I think if you provide some details on year and model of your class A the experienced members here will be happy to offer advice.
Thank you for your concept.

it is a 2007 4 wins hurricane 32R class A

The vehicle identification number is 1F6NF53Y260A11273

a local mechanic whose by no means an expert suggests that there is an electrical switch in the motor area whose responsibility is to control which is functioning the heater the air conditioner. As mentioned earlier local Ford dealers either are not interested or don't have a clue and I'm not sure which is correct.

I would very much appreciate and be grateful for any suggestions at this time I visit tempted to contact both Ford and Thor motorcoach which makes the 4 winds RV to see if either could help with what I believe is the part number based on looking at it that number is AS6885AS.

I recently got what I believe is Thor motor coaches phone number a different one than I originally had and I intend to try it.

I very much appreciate your suggestion and any help you or any other member could provide.

Thanks a lot

Gerald Klein
Old 06-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=TonyDi;3118471]Hi Gerald

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

I saw a video that showed repairing a torn awning with Eterna Bond tape. It is a temporary repair.

If you go to the header bar above and click User CP, you will get a drop down box, click edit signature. You should input the important info regarding your rig, as I have at the bottom of my post. By doing so you will get more responses to your questions.

Happy Trails!!![

Thank you for the idea. I have researched that brand. They have a huge selection and it looks fairly good. What I'm really hoping for is some place that can actually take off the damage and repair the awning without needing to replace the entire thing inasmuch as the damages only on the outer covering.

Thanks again I appreciate all feedback

Gerald

Tags