Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

Newbie here and a dreamer for 18 more months

Hello All,
We were bitten by the bug last year and have been researching researching and researching to the point of being close to reaching information overload. We will be going to an RV show this weekend at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale Arizona. We are hoping to gather more info to determine if we will go with Coach or 5th Wheel.

Look forward to gleaning as much information from all your pros as we can.
RV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The first thing to do is understand that there are no right and wrong answers, there are only choices. Each one of those choices will have its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages.

Before you can determine which RV is right for you, you must first honestly determine how you will actually use it. I would be far more interested in knowing things like what, where and when you plan on doing things with it, what your family composition and ages are, and what your mechanical and technical capabilities are. of course a huge factor is what your budget to purchase the vehicle, and your ability to regularly afford fuel and maintenance costs. All are huge factors in picking a vehicle.

Once you know what it is you are trying to do while using it, then it is far easier to determine which vehicle will best accomplish those goals.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

RV Dreaming:

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your search. It sounds like you are doing what we did. We looked at many MH and fifth wheels and decided on a MH for fulltiming. It all depends on what you want to do. A MH is better suited for traveling around all the time with up to two weeks at a time and then moving. A fifth wheel is better suited for staying longer in one location for longer periods. However, many people stay in there MH's in one spot for months and people with fifth wheels will move around all the time.

Even when you make your decision to go with one or the other there are still so many other factors. What size truck will you need to pull the fifth wheel around or will you pull a car behind the MH for sight seeing? Will you flat tow the car or use a tow dolly or trailer for the vehicle.

Best of luck and have fun in your search.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Dreamin View Post
Hello All,
We were bitten by the bug last year and have been researching researching and researching to the point of being close to reaching information overload. We will be going to an RV show this weekend at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale Arizona. We are hoping to gather more info to determine if we will go with Coach or 5th Wheel.

Look forward to gleaning as much information from all your pros as we can.
RV Dreamin
I'm near the opposite end of the RVing spectrum.
I've been living the "RV dream" for 14+ years, (which BTW, has often been a nightmare that no one bothered to warn me about BEFORE I jumped into RV ownership up to my neck).
More "things" have broken than I knew there were "things", (but I still haven't learned my lesson).
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

When going to a RV show, just remember that the RV show price can be gotton after the show also. There are no special prices so take you time and get the one that will fit your needs.

If you get a coach, a must is looking when the slides are closed and what can not be used. Example, our TV can not be seen when closed and some models that have a rear bath is use less unless you crawl over the bed to get to it.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard and glad you joined us. Fun time isn't it??? You've gotten plenty of good information and I won't try and confuse the issue. Deciding which rv is best for you has to be a sit down discussion or two. Hope you enjoy the show and have a great time shopping. Good luck in whichever you should choose and enjoy all your miles down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Dreaming...
Another Glendale resident here, and we went through the same thing. Hours upon hours of reading, youtube videos, discussions with current/past RV'ers and that doesn't even include RV shows (here and in Oregon), and looking at units new and used. It certainly was all worth it, however. But, like you, we got soooo burnt out (information overload to the MAX!!). After MONTHS (like 7-8 months) of looking and all that goes with the "hunt", we are now a few days away from closing on our FIRST RV. (2013 Thor ACE 29.2.)

I agree with Raining Star and all he had to say about it's all about what you want and your particulars.
Either way, welcome to IRV2 and good luck on your search.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Put it in the back of your mind there may be a few other bugs that will get a bite or two out of you once you start.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #9

I am retired and my wife will be retiring. When she does, we will become full timers. It has been our dream and it looks like it finally will come true. We feel like little kids again waiting for the day we actually buy our rig...whichever it is.
I am 66 and my wife is 58. My mechanical ability is fair and my technical ability is a little better.
RV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I am retired and my wife will be retiring. When she does, we will become full timers. It has been our dream and it looks like it finally will come true. We feel like little kids again waiting for the day we actually buy our rig...whichever it is.

I am 66 and my wife is 58. My mechanical ability is fair and my technical ability is a little better.

Welcome to the board and I hope and wish you and your wife many happy miles, views, and fun!!!!!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

My situation is the exact opposite as far as our ages and retirement status. When I also retire in five years we plan to full time.

Because we favor long miles and shorter stays we found that a Class A best suited our needs. You didn't mention budget, but if your asking for opinions, I'd say go Class A if you can afford it.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you with us.

You are going through the same thing most of us have done in the past, and while I can't speak for others I thought the search was part of the fun. Good luck with your search. Keep us posted!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags