Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
King Clark,

Welcome to the forum. Like yourself my husband and I came here this past summer for knowledge. We have gained a lot so far and I continue to read the old threads for even more. Like Wryly Blithe, I can tell you the people here are great! They are always willing to help and give you their honest opinion. Opinion will differ as in anything.

But, I agree floor plan is primary. What do you absolutely need? Washer Dryer, Dishwasher? King or queen bed? Leather, cloth, bath or bath and a half? Sounds like the diesel will be great for you. Since my DH and I know zero about them, we have chosen to buy gas. I want the washer dryer unit but it is not a deal breaker.

We are trying to be realistic about our needs but I think whatever we choose summer of 2015 (yes, that is when we will buy because everyone says to buy it a bit early so you can get used to it before you hit the road) we will be happy. I am so excited about going out on the road. I can't wait to retire.

I think the suggestion to rent a MH for a weekend is a great idea. This is an expensive hobby and with no experience, this may save you both a bit or convince you completely. Either way, I wish you both the best of luck and wonderful memories in your future.

Have a great time, Lynne

beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
One thing for sure - RVing will cure you of accumulating useless junk.

Welcome aboard. I'm new here myself.

jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Things to consider:
Residential Fridge
Aqua Hot
Stackable Washer Dryer
All electric
King bed
Bath and half
Counter space for cooking
Dishwasher (we opted for storage)
A/C - heat pumps
Electric Fireplace. (thought not but it came with the unit - turned out to be better than anticipated. use it to take the chill off in the mornings)
Table and chairs instead of booth.

Good luck with your selection and purchase. No matter what you purchase you will encounter some issues. This is a complex unit you will be subjecting to a 3.5 earthquake everytime you move it.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon,

What is (Aqua Hot)?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

Most important thing is FLOOR PLAN. You will be spending considerable time in your RV so you have to start with something you like. No matter where you will go there will times when the weather may chase you inside for extended periods. Do you have enough room to get around, lay out your hobbies and have an area to relax in?

Way back when (six months) we were brand-spankin' new to motorhomes, I started a thread about, "What's the big deal about Floor Plans?". Driving up front, kitchen, LR in mid-section, and BR in back. What's to change?

Fast forward a few trips and a few months and....Gordon, et al, are right. There are variances that are worth knowing about.

How do you know? Just go and SIT in them without a salesman. Force yourself to sit in a unit for 15-20 minutes and imagine life around your space. Unless you don't mind buying/selling/buying, you should get a much better idea of how a floorplan suits you.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Smile

Welcome! We have been camping for about 15 years. First a trailer, then a fifth wheel and finally DP. Once we had our first rig, I researched the next step. Took 3 years from the trailer to the fifth wheel, then another 6 to get to where we are now. Slow and steady. So much information. Don't rush.... You will be with your coach for a good period of time. Just make sure your are comfortable with your decision, and remember, you can go backwards once you decide. Have fun. The best part of the entire process is learning and asking others who know. Everyone here has been great with my questions. I'm certain you will find the same friendly, helpful answers, regardless of how simple you may think they are. Enjoy the ride!!!
2017 VW Passat SEL
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Gordon,

What is (Aqua Hot)?
Aqua Hot is a continuous water heater that is used to heat the coach as well. Ours is electric over diesel. We normally use just the electric when hooked up. When we want long continuous showers or the temperatures are quite low we turn on the diesel burner. You cannot run out of hot water in the shower with the diesel heater on.

The system can also be used to preheat the engine. When running the engine will heat the water so you have hot water while travelling.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gordon, Thank You!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #23

I have been researching this stuff for almost a year now. I'm gonna say I'm skeptical about over focusing on the floor plan as I go into buying mode. Issues of length, fuel, new technology, rig usage and rig quality, etc. are very personal and complicated as I see them. I have had to spend a lot of time sifting out good from less than good, but good intentioned advice. A very complicated rig and a very complicated set of choices, and I don't think, at the end of the day, you can let anyone but yourself make these decisions for you.

For example, as to length, some owners have progressively gotten into longer lengths. I have also heard about some owners who threw off 45 feet and went down to 24.5 feet...all having to do with intended use, not because they liked the floor plan.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Resale value too!

Hi King Clark, I think we were lucky in buying our first DP. We bought a superclean 2008 41' Beaver Contessa that had been factory ordered by it's original owner. Thank goodness he new what he was doing. It has the Aqua Hot system, automatic air leveling, solar panels, king sleep number bed, washer/dryer, central vac etc. This all means comfort to me and my wife and also good resale value. This one also has a SIDE RADIATOR as opposed to a rear radiator. I am having a motorcycle life installed on mine and glad it has the side radiator. I am not pretending to know a lot about MH's but I am glad we have these comforts. After we are done outfitting it, I can't wait to figure out how it all works.
And X2 on the comments about fuel mileage...when the tank is empty, fill it. Go and have fun and create memories.

Ron
Newintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
I have been researching this stuff for almost a year now. I'm gonna say I'm skeptical about over focusing on the floor plan as I go into buying mode. Issues of length, fuel, new technology, rig usage and rig quality, etc. are very personal and complicated as I see them. I have had to spend a lot of time sifting out good from less than good, but good intentioned advice. A very complicated rig and a very complicated set of choices, and I don't think, at the end of the day, you can let anyone but yourself make these decisions for you.

For example, as to length, some owners have progressively gotten into longer lengths. I have also heard about some owners who threw off 45 feet and went down to 24.5 feet...all having to do with intended use, not because they liked the floor plan.
Hi Rodger;
Lenght is a big component of floor plan. It has to do with the amount of space you have to work on and the amount of space between the work areas.

True if you are intending on going to restricted campgrounds that limit the length that is a constraint. Check out all of the different layouts and options for vehicles that fit into that category.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags