Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Newbie just starting research

Wife and I have decided to plan our escape from the "normal" life. We love to travel and always want to stay longer than time allows with a full time job. Will be retiring in a couple of years. Never had an RV so researching what is available and what we really need since we will break away from all the "things" we have acquired in the last thirty eight years. Found this site while wandering around the web and since it is not brand specific believe I can gather better information since I do not have any idea exactly what we want as of yet. Leaning towards a DP but not set in concrete. I started driving a school bus when I stepped into semi-retirement five years ago so do have experience driving. I also am state certified school bus driving instructor. Planning to hit the RV show in Houston first part of 2015 and visit a few of RV sales places while there too. Anyway glad to be here but itching to be out there ASAP.

King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choices.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang here!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome. RVing is one mode of life where you will meet lots of really friendly folks who share a common activity. It is like having another family. These you get to pick.

Most important thing is FLOOR PLAN. You will be spending considerable time in your RV so you have to start with something you like. No matter where you will go there will times when the weather may chase you inside for extended periods. Do you have enough room to get around, lay out your hobbies and have an area to relax in?

Take some time at the dealers. Ditch the salesman and spend some times in the models you are interested in. Pretend you have laid out the model airplanes, the quilt and then watch the ball game or a food show. Or both. Is there room for guests and pets?

We like the bath and 1/2. Residential fridge, stackable washer dryer are big on our list. TV at eye level (nothing above windshield) and chairs/couch with high backs for comfort. King size bed, large shower, aqua hot system add to the liveability.

Look around. There are a number of coaches/RV that will fit your needs. Purchase in the mid to upper models. They will have slightly better materials in the construction. Avoid the models with pressed wood. Although they are serviceable and last a long time the real wood will be better.

Good luck with your search.

Looking for you on the road. Will recognize you by the big smiles.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and what an exciting time for you guys!! There's so much to choose from and sounds like you have some time. Besides dealer lots and RV shows, stop by some campgrounds and seek out RV'rs that have something similar to what is on your wish list...never met an RV'r that didn't like to talk RVing! Several years ago, it was suggested to us to talk to people in campgrounds, one guy said go by at happy hour time because a lot of people are out....and thats what we did. We don't full-time, but if that is in your future, we would certainly go diesel. Floor plan is everything to make you comfortable, but you will have to compromise on some things...just gotta figure out what those are.
Safe travels and happy hunting...maybe Santa will just put one under the tree for you...
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club

Best of luck with your search......your doing the right thing by taking your time and checking out RV shows. This will sure give you a sense of what's out there and what you want........over time an idea will form as to what is important for your rig.......Be patient, ask lots and lots of questions.

Safe and Happy Travels.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here is a link to help get you started and here is another with threads of people deciding what they wanted and needed and some of the options that were allowed on certain models or not.
Good luck in your search and welcome to the RV Lifestyle.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like you will do just great with the driving, taking your time as well.

I remember the first time we went to look at RVs. We bought the second one we walked into! No regrets, had a blast, and this month after two years, we decided to buy larger.

Things that became important, comfort, floor plan and decent power. We've really enjoyed our travels. I hope you find exactly what you need!
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.
Rich & Patricia
00 F350 7.3L___89 Terry Resort 25.5
___03 Klamath 30hp

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
King Clark, welcome to the forum and to the life! As a wannabe myself who started researching about 6 months ago, I can tell you without any reservation whatsoever that this site has been my first and best resource for information. You've got a big head start so it should be a lot easier for you (I didn't even know what a black tank was!) but when those nagging questions do come up this is the place to start.

Well... this and YouTube

Good luck and have fun!
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
I always suggest to folks that want the life but never had a RV to go rent one for 2 weeks or more and travel with the wife. Need to make sure that the two of you can be in an RV 24/7. I have met some that made the jump and found out it was not working for one or the other and then it is to late. You have made a large investment in a RV and it doesn't work. Another thing is if a person is concerned about fuel mileage, forget it. RV's are fuel consumers and that is the way it is, when gauge is down, put fuel in and move on. Just some thoughts.
Ron & Candy, Toledo Ohio
2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8368
2006 GMC Canyon
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard....
Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #13
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
Thanks for the replies

Not to worried about being together in a small space the 38 plus years we have been married we have been small homes and big ones and found that we gather a lot of useless junk in big ones.
I have nothing against gas but am a bigger fan of diesel and air brakes plus the fact if you do not have some sort of exhaust brake you can get one added. I like to ask the younger fast and furious crowd what is the first piece of speed equipment they think should be added to what ever vehicle they have and to this day I have never heard the correct answer. It is the best brakes one can buy as you need to stop that beast once you get it going or it will be a one time ride. I have a commercial license with endorsements for motorcycle, passengers, school bus, and air brakes. I also teach driving classes for school bus drivers and our DPS will not let them out of the parking lot for the driving test part until they pass the actual air brake test on the bus. After four years I have a 100 percent pass rate for my students.
I also work with the mechanics in the summer to increase my knowledge on what works and what is a no no. Always hoping that I get little use out of that but understand anything that moves, wears out or breaks sooner or later.
Anyway I am glad I am here as this group has already been a wealth of real knowledge.

King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote