Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #1

Lightbulb Newbie needs advice, tips, suggestions

Hello everyone Ö I havenít RVíd yet, but thinking about it. Actually Iíve decided to do it, but I havenít the slightest idea what to get. Hereís my scenario.
Iím recently widowed (my husband died unexpectedly in Dec 2011) and the situation regarding my husbandís will and estate are not the norm. We had only been married 6 years and being from California, a community state, things are not always what one might think. I wasnít appointed the executor, another family member was. I wonít bore you with every detail, but basically Iíve had to leave our home. Iím currently renting a place, but Iím not too happy as the reality of the environment does not match the advertisement I answered. So knowing Iím going to move AGAIN (only been here 1 Ĺ months) soon, I thought about traveling to visit family and friends that I havenít seen in a while before finding my next home.
It would be my dog Bruno and I hitting the road; going from one coast to the other. I anticipate starting this adventure in the next few months. I would probably be traveling for 2 months and thought an RV would be the best way to go Ö economically as well as comfort. So I need some guidance, tips, and suggestions as to what type of RV might be best and whether I rent or buy. Iím not sure how much Iíll use it after this trip, but then again I might be living in it somewhat permanently. I currently have a í94 Jeep Cherokee with the ability tow, but Iím not sure how reliable it will be. Iíd be willing to get a heavier duty vehicle if the towable models would be best, which Iím leaning towards so I can unhitch it and have my vehicle.
Okay Iíll quite rambling on Ö looking forward to your input!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We are new here and any info that you would get from us would be pretty useless, but after reading your post I just wanted to say good luck, be safe and enjoy your travels. Sorry for your loss of your husband.

TEEGEE1997

Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry for your loss. Things have a way of working out for the most part. Your jeep should tow depending on your size of tow. There are some very nice lite TT avail. on the market now. I think if you look around, do some checking, ask on here once you have decided on a make or model. You'll be fine. Good luck on your search. Take your time and be patient, don't rush. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #4

Thank you so much!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We like our 1999 Cherokee Sport, it tows great and is good on and off road.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum. Another option if finances allow would be a small Class C motor home and you could tow your Jeep behind you. We have a B+ and tow a Jeep Liberty. Check the avatar. Maybe you could rent one for a few days and see how it fits. If you go with a TT, you will be very limited in size by what your tow capacity will be useing your Jeep.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

John & Deb - Thanks so much for your response. What kind of gas mileage does your RV get? Your suggestion was an option I considered, but as you mentioned, I'm not sure I can afford it. But one never knows what bargain might be found! LOL! Kristen
Old 07-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #8

Kristen, I have had 3 MH's with the V-10 and love the engine. Gas mileage varys, but pulling the Jeep we get about 8 mpg. It has a lot to do with how you drive and how close to GCVW you are. You might find a good deal on a used one with little mileage. All depends on your budget and how much RV you want.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome

The choices are vast in the RV world and what ever choice you make is yours alone. Read as many blogs as you can about people just like yourself who are doing what you want to do. Learn from them. There are comfy little trailers that the Jeep can pull and lots of people do just that. Beware though this is an addictive life style many people get hooked on RV'n cause it is so darn interesting and fun. Lots of nice people out here with a few sore heads here and there, still it is fun. Just take your time and ask lots of questions.

To get you started read this lady's blog entries and see how she did it in a little trailer Grizzlies visit our campsite at Brooks Lake! | rvsue and her canine crew She has a wonderful way of telling a story and is full of information about her trailer that can be pulled by a Jeep.
Best of luck
Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Kristen, I am so sorry for the loss of you spouse and the loss of your home. So many changes all at one time. I am a woman RVer who travels sometimes without my husband. We have a smaller Class A motorhome, but I really wanted a class C. I agree with the other posters that mybe this would be the way to go...If you enjoy the RV keep it...if not sell it once you make your journey. Here in the South, we have seen some pretty good deals on used RVs...That's one reason we ended up with the class A... Good luck and as we say here "Bless your Heart"
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi KewlKristen, welcome to the forum.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #12

Still looking ... but here's an option ... what do you all think?

I know this is new vs used, but the price isn't too bad. Though when I got home I started searching online and possibly found others, also new, comparable for less. So I'll keep looking to keep my costs down.

I don't thhink I can quite afford an actual motorhome, so I'm leaning towards the trailer. I'm already having some slipping of the transmission in my Jeep, so I'm considering purchasing a different vehicle as well (used of course) or maybe rebuilding the transmission. Any thoughts?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT!! I am reading alot of posts, etc., and need to educate myself. I have an Aunt who lived in her RV for several years, so I plan to talk with her as well.

Sincerely - Kristen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hideout1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	23737  
Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #13

Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #14

Kris you have a lot of options from a 45 foot class A to a truck camper and everything in between.

I have done a 45 foot motorcoach, popups and a Travel Trailer, but never a 5th wheel.

I found none of them suited and were more drawbacks than positives in my world.

So after shucking all of them and then looking, researching and asking and talking for 3 years, I bought a Truck Camper (TC) and FINALLY found something that works. Something you can hit a new town in, push a button and 4 jacks raise it off the bed of the truck, set it down and in 5 min you are out on the town hitting the museums, ball park, visiting friends and having fun and FREEDOM. You will NOT do that in most of the others. You have a camper and a truck best of both worlds IMO

With a good truck (Ford F 350 crew cab, long bed, dually and 4x4) you can leave the pavement and get back to some more remote areas and secondary roads and those Farm to Market roads (FM's) found across the US.

A camper with a slide will give you all the room you want, fact is haveing 400+ sq ft of motorcoach (3 slides) was room we and our 4 dogs did not need. We lived in the MC and for 3 mo in the TC, we never looked back and would not trade the TC for anything out there, no way, no how.

After 3 years of research we bought a Arctic Fox (AF) 1150 dry bath. We bought it for quality, 4 season livability, fit, finish and internal storage. Other brands to consider: HOST RV, Chalet. AF has been around a long time and makes a top notch unit.

I suggest you look and research, when its all said and done the LAYOUT of the unit will be a major factor if you spending a lot of time in there. Look till you find what you feel good with and ask about price. If its too much, look at buying a good used one in that model a few years old.

You will need a truck, I love me 2011 F350, never been a Ford guy in my life, never owned a Ford, but far as I am concerned Texas tells the story: They sell more trucks than cars in Texas, Ford has been number 1 in sales and in fact outsells the others combined here in Tex. That said I grew up on a ranch and in those days it was CHEVY all the way. I did not know a ranch that had anything Ford other than a tractor. But times change and Ford is now the truck and has been for 23 years in a row.

I STRONGLY suggest that what ever truck you go for you get more truck than you need! In fact I suggest you go with a F 350/3500 series as they cost just about the same money new or used as the F 250/2500. Unless you go with a big camper like the AF 1150 you can go with single rear wheel over dually. I would shoot for a min of 11,000 GVWR, my dually is 13,000. No matter what you do, a F 150/1500 series truck will also be that, same with a F 250/2500, you can lipstick them all day but if they are not up to the task it just a pig.

As a single woman you are no doubt driven by reliability and safety, do not short change yourself or you will only regret it.

I am sure there are plenty on here they will tell you what I have only you can substitute the words TC for: MC, TT, POPUP, or fiver and Chevy or Dodge for Ford. Listen to all, its part of the research you need to do...you only have one chance to do it right the first time.

I based my research upon my career as a engineer who is very analytical and does a lot of side by side comparisons.

Spend some time on here and other RV forums, ask lots of questions and give yourself some time to digest and find that 'sweet spot' in you upcoming journey...

Tags
buying tips, newbie