Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Newbie with a lot of work ahead ;-)

Hey everybody!

My name is Alex, and my wife Emily and I recently purchased a 2003 Fleetwood Tioga 31W Class C on the E450 chassis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	93562

Last summer we took our first trip in it from near Salt Lake City, Utah to Collinsville, Illinois. It was awesome!

We quickly found that the thing is immensely susceptible to even the slightest cross-winds, and is a bit more of a challenge to drive than we preferred.

This past week I ordered the following:
  • Bilstein HD shocks front/rear (backordered )
  • Hellwig sway bars front/rear
  • Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer

I'm looking forward to getting those in the mail, getting them installed, and getting an alignment to see how she performs after that.

While we were staying in the RV in Illinois we found that we really do not like the short plastic Thetford toilet, and every time the A/C kicked on it would pull a urine smell into the cabin.

I have replaced the roof vent cap, ensured the vent pipe is clear, and ordered a new Dometic 310 that I'll install soon and seal the base to see if that eliminates the issue.

When we first got the RV we immediately started replacing all the gold hardware with satin nickel, and now the only gold remaining is the shower door, and light fixtures. I'd like to replace both, but haven't found any replacements I like yet.

The bathroom vent and sink were replaced because they were overly yellowed. Unfortunately, the shower surround is in the same shape, and I'm not sure if the surround is a readily available replaceable item.

I also installed a hard-wired 30A SurgeGuard after a bad experience with shore power on an old toy hauler we used to have.

I just recently finished trenching and running conduit, as well as #6 THHN wire for a 50/30/20 amp surface mount box at our home. This is the model at Amazon, with the first reviewer showing a picture of the inside: http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-TL137U...n+50%2F30%2F20

Here it is all said and done (new construction next door, don't mind the dirt and dumpster ;-)

Name:	rvPower.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	93564

This past weekend, we were driving the RV from our old home to our new home, when we experienced a fairly serious blowout of the passenger inner dual tire. So now, on top of all these expensive purchases I've JUST made, I now need tires too.

Lesson learned: I looked and inspected the 4 outer tires very closely which were all in great shape. I made the (incorrect) assumption that the inner tires matched. Nope. The inner tires must be originals, as their DOT manufacture date stamp indicates they were manufactured in 2002!!! No wonder it blew out, and boy do I feel stupid!

The blowout separated the tire and demolished the storage bay behind the wheel.

Here is the damage:

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	93567

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	93568

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	93569

Name:	image5.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	93570

Here is the tire:

Name:	image6.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	93571

With a little patience (and a big freaking hammer) I was able to remove the entire bay, and hammer it all back out, then re-assemble the bay, and re-insert it into the RV:

Name:	image7.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	93572

Name:	image8.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	93573

Name:	image9.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	93574

Now I just need a small piece of matching carpet and you'd never know it happened!

Any suggestions on tires?

On my garage floor right now I've got new brake pads front and rear, oil for the motor and generator, grease for the wheel bearings, and a bottle of soap and a can of wax/polish all just waiting for more time.

I can't stop sinking money into this thing, but I imagine it'll be sweet when I'm done!

Thanks for the great site, and I look forward to chatting with you guys!

-Alex
Purged is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Alex & Emily! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

It appears you have a good handle on getting your RV as you want it .... Great write up and will continue to watch for update ....
Glad you're here .....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And so it begins, good job.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

I have a 2011 Tioga 31M that I love. I understand your tire need. I had a blowout coming back from Nashville last month. I pulled over and duct taped the rubber back on so I would not tear anything up! lol
I went with a BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tire. The ride is fine so far and did not hurt my pocket book too bad. I replaced all six.
Enjoy the new ride!

Dixie Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dogs View Post
I have a 2011 Tioga 31M that I love. I understand your tire need. I had a blowout coming back from Nashville last month. I pulled over and duct taped the rubber back on so I would not tear anything up! lol
I went with a BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tire. The ride is fine so far and did not hurt my pocket book too bad. I replaced all six.
Enjoy the new ride!
I wish ours were as new as yours! I'm not crazy about the older E450 body style, but it's primarily cosmetic for me.

Thanks for the tip on the Commercial T/As. I was looking at those as well, however I've only gotten one quote so far and wasn't too happy with the figure ($1450)

I'll get a few more quotes before I settle on a tire shop, although a chain will carry more weight since I could use road-hazard in other states.

Thanks again!
Purged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purged View Post
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I wish ours were as new as yours! I'm not crazy about the older E450 body style, but it's primarily cosmetic for me.

Thanks for the tip on the Commercial T/As. I was looking at those as well, however I've only gotten one quote so far and wasn't too happy with the figure ($1450)

I'll get a few more quotes before I settle on a tire shop, although a chain will carry more weight since I could use road-hazard in other states.

Thanks again!
I would think you could find better. Mine were around 178.00 ea mounted and all.

Dixie Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
My arm sure is tired!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	94131

Almost done waxing ONE side of the RV.

Finish this side, wax the cab, wax the other side, and wax the rear to go...

See you guys next month! Geesh!

When I'm done I get to wash the windows, wash the wheels, put new rear brake pads on, install my shocks, anti-sway bars, macerator pump, steering stabilizer, change the engine and generator oil, paint interior light fixtures, install LED lights, polish the front bumper, find a way to rejuvenate the old plastics, re-seal the windows, take it for an alignment, and then, umm.. I'm sure I'll come up with something else to do.

And aside from painting the light fixtures, that is ALL exterior work! Sheesh! Don't even get me started on our plans for the interior!

The good news is, catching up from the previous owners lack of care will be done, and just keeping it in good shape will be much easier ;-)
Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

Welcome! We are both in our early 50's and retired. We're in the process of selling our house and will be purchasing an Entegra Anthem or Aspire 42-45ft late summer to early fall. This entire forum is a wealth of information! I can't even begin to say how much we have learned since joining iRV2! Good luck and hope to be your neighbors in a campground somewhere down the road!

Ron and Marybeth
RonandBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome Alex and Emily. You will find a lot of information. And some of the nicest people here. That will help you with any problem you may have
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
ARC

Alex,

Your rig is identical to mine, so maybe there are items we can tip each other on, although you're a much better mechanic. We've had it for two years, pack it with 6 people - three teens, and have put some 7,000 miles on it so far.

A few interior mods I'm glad I've made are: put 2X 100 lb gas springs under the bed to use the space below as storage, built and installed huge drawers under the dinette seats to use that wasted space, removed the tube TV and made the space another kitchen cabinet turning the below DVD shelf into another drawer, and installed a 2000 W modified sine wave inverter that feeds all 110 AC outlets and appliances - we hardly ever use the generator.

Exterior mods include: removed the rock protector over the hood - I just didn't like it, installed an RVS rear view camera, added a gate valve at the dump Y outlet so we can fill the black water tank with grey water and dry camp longer, and mounted a combination lock box in the generator compartment (that cannot be locked) for the spare set of keys, in case the daily set gets lost.

We have not had a need to tow anything. Even in San Francisco pier 39 we had no problem finding parking. Our big trip this year is Civil War theme - one month in Virginia.

Welcome to the forum.

Art
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags