Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Red face Newbie with ? re: legally required emer equipment.

Hi All! New to the forum's and thought this was the best place to look for an answer. I was plowing thru various websites, reading up about RV'in in Nova Scotia, Canada when I came across a bit about having to carry emergency warning equipment in case you happen to stop alongside the highway. Sadly I can't remember(happens a lot these days!) the exact text, or the website(might even have been in the forums stuff on here?!). Anyway, while concerned about NS specifically, I guess it leads to a more generic question as to just what a fella should(must?) have on board when travelling the hiways and byways.
Can anyone point to a definitive source of info on this topic?
Is there a forum thread about such legislation as relates to other provinces, or indeed, any of the United States??

LankyLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm fairly new myself so I don't have an answer but I will be watching this thread to see who does! Great question!

Maggie in OK
Owner 1968 10' Kit trailer
Complete and total novice to all things RV
New2Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Since an RV is a private vehicle most states will define what they require and most states require the same items. Look at the state the vehicle is registered in for their requirments. # 1 requirement is a set of warning triangles which can be picked up at most places that sell RV supplies.
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
I'm not sure if they are required by law but a few things I wont do with out are my safety triangles, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.
1994 Winnebago Adventurer

230 hp Cummins 6 spd Allison trans
WILD-BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
The Safety Triagle's are required in BC and Flares are recommended! We carry Both along with a pair of High Visibility Vests and an Orange and Red Flag! Stowed under /beside the Drivers Seat! I keep My Latex Gloves there too!
RobRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! Good advice so far IMHO. At least in Texas, the only thing legally required are the three triangles but I wouldn't travel without the fire extinguishers or smoke detectors either.

Good luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Irregardless of minimum required equipment, I would carry as a minimum...
set of 3 reflectors or triangles.
set of flares
large flashlight
fire extinguisher
signal flag
orange vest
bottle jack
a few boards
large 4-way lug wrench with cheater pipe extension

And hope you never have to use them.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forums! I think the others have pretty much covered it. Happy trails
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not know the law in Canada but in the US, an RV is a private vehicle, like a car, only the 4-way flashers (Factory installed) are required. Nothing else.

What I carry:

A set of DOT approved traiangles, and the book that tells me how to spread 'em out (What every Commercial driver must know) and 2 sets of battery flairs as well.

Plus not only the factory fire extinguisher toy but 3 more better ones.

And of cours me (Yes, I'm "emergency equipment", Trained as a "First responder" (That is before EMS arrives)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
Emergency Equipment...

WOW!!! Thanks to everyone for the superb info. Looks like I've got a bit of shopping to do!!
For sure I'm gonna feel a lot more secure when next on the road.

Hope our paths cross some day!

Regards. Fred.ca

LankyLad is offline   Reply With Quote