Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #1

Newbies trying to get DZ licences

Hello fellow RVers.
We took the plunge and purchased a Berkshire Hathaway Charleston RV in the spring. Our son has the DZ licence because of the volunteer fire department that is in our community, so we flew him down to AZ and he drove it home with us.
After a busy summer working we are just now trying to get all our ducks in a row for leaving for the winter.
It took 2 weeks to be able to get in to see a doctor for the drivers medical necessary to write the written test.
This week we went through the grueling process of trying to just write our DZ licence. Our medicals had the box marked how long has the doctor known you blank........and they made us return 60 miles to the doctor's office to have the doctor fill out the form.......not sure why they didn't let us just write in 1st time visit, since our family doctor of 18 years had recently moved away.
Anyway after the 120 mile drive, we got back to the office and I was able to pass the DZ written test.
My husband had his sigmoid colon removed and successful beat cancer a few years back. Of courses the medical just has yes and no to check off about your medical history. So he was unable to write his written test until their doctor is able to review his medical condition. It was very disheartening to say the least for us to drive the initial 90 miles one way from our home to the Drive Test Center, then the 120 miles about the medical test, then the 90 miles home. Stewart felt like he'd wasted his whole day. But was excited that at least I passed the written portion of the test.
Now we have a road test lined up for me 3 hours away from home, later this week. All other centers don't have openings until mid November. We were hoping to leave Canada for Arizona by November 1st.
Think of me on the 19th of October when I attempt to pass the DZ road test.
Hope to see you all on the road soon!
Y & S

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
DZ drivers License?

After a quick google search it looks like a DZ license is a Canadian thing. In the US (which is where you say you'll be traveling) most places don't require a special license to drive a RV. RV's are considered POV's (Privately Owned Vehicles) and don't require the US's next step which is a CDL (Commercial Drivers License). I bet someone will come up with an exception.

Check the Changing Gears web page and you might find something that helps.

Maybe you could get your son to drive you to the border. Only kidding there because I don't have a clue what the international implications are. I don't think US drivers have any problems driving across the border to Canada though.

I haven't a clue if/why you need a DZ license but one drivers school Link offers

Persons with an Ontario Class DZ licence are licenced to drive vehicles such as straight truck, dump truck, cement truck, garbage truck and rescue & fire trucks - with airbrakes. A Class D licence is required to operate a vehicle over 11,000kg with a towed trailer not over 4600kg. Should your towed trailer exceed 4600kg, you will need to upgrade to a Class A licence.

Are you sure you need a DZ? Sounds like a lot of trouble...but that seems to be what governments are for....

Then again... when you see some of the RV drivers at work...you might hope for more stringent requirements.

Good Luck,
Norm

A6IntruderBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We are in Ontario and needed a DZ license to drive our Tiffin Phaeton class A. It is a weight thing, whether or not you tow a trailer.

Both DH and I passed our tests in the spring just days before we got our RV. We took lessons in the Hamilton area and felt that those lessons were absolutely critical to our success. We used Modern Training - Nick was great. He took us out for several hours and knew his stuff. Lots of good tips, easy to be around, and he has had lots of successful students. I recommend even a session or two to see if you are ready for the big test. At least with one person passing the road test, the other can drive with just the written test under the purposes of 'learning' for a bit.

One of the keys to passing is to have a flawless circle check. The driving part was quite easy: around a large block, on a service road (had to get it up to 80), and in some city traffic, oh and backing up into a pylon-marked spot (no backup camera on the city bus we used). Other than getting a point dinged for taking my lefts too slow (um, yeah!) I did perfectly. We had gotten our Z endorsement prior from Modern Training so didn't do that portion of the test.

I will see if I can find my circle check list. I have posted it here before.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I see that you have replied to that thread. In that thread there is my circle check list. Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Welcome, wow... I got tired just thinking of all that...glad it is almost over now... In the States, as long as it is under 42', no special license is needed... if you are longer you need a class B modified... I had a CDL for years, but finally let it go back in the 90's ( got tired of the paper work and points system)

Jim N Sheri
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRMCJIM View Post
Welcome, wow... I got tired just thinking of all that...glad it is almost over now... In the States, as long as it is under 42', no special license is needed... if you are longer you need a class B modified... I had a CDL for years, but finally let it go back in the 90's ( got tired of the paper work and points system)

Jim N Sheri
The length restriction would vary by state. So long as it's an motor home less than 45 feet long and less than 26,000 pounds, or a tow vehicle/RV trailer combination, less than 26,000 pounds and no more than a tow vehicle and a single towed vehicle with a combined length of less than 65 feet long (no double towing allowed), I can drive it on my Florida Class E. Florida Driver License Requirements

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbies