Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

Oler Family checking in!

We just bought a new-to-us class C RV - 2004 Fleetwood Jamboree 30'. We have 2 young kids (5 & 7) and a super excited to begin our family adventures!! We're completely new to this whole thing, having never owned an RV before. We are taking our first cross-country trip on 7/29, from CA-TN. Bought the Rand McNally GPS system, but wondering if there is a good online trip planner y'all use? Thank you!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Congrats to your family! I've always wanted a camper after growing up tent camping. But at 47 I'm still waiting. Wish I had pulled the trigger when my kids were young. I'm so excited for you!! Best wishes on the road and enjoy your first trip

Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
olerfam:

Hi from South Dakota and a GREAT BIG WELCOME to the iRV2 gang !!

My wife (Lynette) and I have been RVing full time since 05 but have not used any kind of "trip planner" so guess we can't help. We kind of make up our own routes and when there's a question about, say... certain highway conditions, (ie., grades, clearances, etc.) we'll go on line and ask for info from others who may have taken a certain route.

So,....where ya headed in TN and are you departing from Northern, Middle, or Southern CA? This would help folks possibly make route suggestions including stop overs the kids might enjoy. We've been in TN a number of times and might be able to make suggestions you could consider. At any rate, sounds like a great adventure. Have fun.

Steve & Lynette
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
KAS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerfam View Post
We're completely new to this whole thing, having never owned an RV before.
I'm new too but ours is a fixer upper but we hope to be ready for our first trip before the end of the year.

Our kids are younger, do you have yours buckled up when traveling? I'm planning for car seats as ours are way too young to leave loose when driving.

nice to meet other "new" people!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
welcome Olerfam and Chickadee! My DH uses Streets and Trips to pre-plan our trips and then we have our GPS on too. I think he feels like he can see what he wants to see better on Streets and Trips and looks for places to stop and explore and possible places to stay. He then lets me know the places he is thinking of stopping at and I look for CG, State Parks etc for us to stay in.

Hope this helps but I am sure that others will also have ways to plan out a trip too. We are fairly new at this.

Again Welcome!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
KAS

We hope to take a long trip with the kids too. I'm looking forward to reading about others traveling with kids to get ideas and learn how to make it go more smoothly.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! We ARE planning on taking their booster seats in the RV, but I doubt they'll sit in them for any length of time...

We live in SoCal and are visiting in-laws in East TN, where my hubby is from.

I forgot about Streets & Trips! Will have to give that one a go.

We'll check back in along the way. Happy travels!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the RV. Good luck on your trip...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi olerfam, welcome to the forum. Safe travels and much fun on your trip.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerfam View Post
Bought the Rand McNally GPS system, but wondering if there is a good online trip planner y'all use? Thank you!!
I use Mapquest to plan a route, and print the results. Then I punch the destination in to the GPS (Garmin in our case). The navigator (whichever of the two of us is in the passenger seat) references the Mapquest printout and confirms the GPS directions. Where there is a conflict, we have found that following Mapquest is usually more reliable, since the GPS tends to plot "shortest routes" which sometimes involve roads that are not RV friendly. The Garmin is a generic GPS but I'm seriously looking at the new Rand McNally RVND7720 which is RV specific.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote