Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
This is a very encouraging read. We have 4 kids (all under the age of 6) and will be hitting the road here shortly. We live in such an entertainment sucking wormhole environment that I have a hard time unplugging myself and this is what I am subconsiously teaching my kids. There is so much more to life than gadgets, video games and TV. I don't even know how to tie a correct knot!

Its not only going to be good for our kids, but it will also be very good for us as parents.

Something about traveling together really brings out good conversation that can be life changing for our kids. I really look forward to connecting with my kids on a deeper level for a few years while we FT with them at a young age.

(personally speaking) I think we as parents often think the world needs to entertain and teach our kids when we should actually be the ones primarily doing it. You can be very creative. There is so much to learn and enjoy together as a family without tuneing out. Of course we all need our down (brainless activity) time too.

Anyways, my two cents

97 LX450, Lockers, ARB Winch Bumper modified to be towed behind -
2010 Gulfstream SuperMax 37' Super C Motorhome- Sleeps 10
Running BlueOx LX7445 Towbar / wireless Patriot Brake sys
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
I'm surprised no one mentioned Geocaching. It combines technology with getting their butts outside, getting some exercise, learning more about new places and having some fun. There are more than 1.2 million caches in the world waiting to be found. You can plan your trip on targeting great caching areas along your route. The kids and you find the caches you want on the internet then download to a cheap $ 100.00 Garmin Etrex GPS, then go out and find them. Go to Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site to get a better overview of the possibilities and how it works. There is a good video to explain it. You create your own username that you keep track of your finds on Geocaching.com. The good part is that unless you become a premier member for $ 35.00 a year and a $ 100.00 Gps it's absolutely free. We geocache with our 6 grandkids, not all at once but a couple here and a couple there. We find it interesting that sometimes if we have difficulty making a find the kids are the ones that won't give up until they've turned over every rock and crawled under every bush in the area. Plus we geocache on our own for the exercise and the challenge. It also takes you to areas that you would never end up in if not for being drawn there by a geocache. I'll bet there are geocaches right close to where you sit right now.

Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
nwcanopies, I'm glad I'm not alone! Thanks!! And, Lyle, my family (parents, us, and our kids) have geocached for years. Why didn't it occur to me to make this an RV'ing activity?!? Silly me, and THANKS for reminding me. It is an awesome family activity, for ALL ages. Thanks!!

Our map is blank... First trip over New Years!
2003 FW Tioga
Marna, Jim, 4 kids, 2 fur-kids
RVnewbies is offline   Reply With Quote