Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Panicking just a bit...

My hubby and I have wanted an rv for a while (me longer than him). We are both on second marriage so combined we have 4 kids. A *huge* plus for me is getting to bring the dogs everywhere.

Ok, my panickiness is about entertaining the kids (ages 13, 13, 12, 8). These guys are used to having an electronic device in their hands or in front of their eyeballs at any given moment. We all like tv and the internet... Are the kids (and I!) gonna be bored stiff?!? I'm a little nervous! Help!

RVnewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome. You have found a very helpful and friendly site. Everyone on here is willing and able to give you any assistance that you might need.
If you are planning to go to a campground that has power they can still bring their games. If not, hopefully the places that you go will have interesting things to see and do that will keep them busy.
No matter what, it will be a trip you will never forget. Take lots of pictures. You will have lots to laugh about in the years to come.
I took my granddaughter on a trip to New Mexico. She texted all the way there and all the way back. I asked her how she liked the trip. She said "It was green" She was 15 at the time. Ooops should have brought a friend !!
Good Luck and let us know how it went.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years ago we took our oldest Grandson, 13 at the time, on a 5 week trip. He had the Ipod on and read a book whenever we were moving. As soon as we arrived at a Campground he wanted to explore everything in the area.

Last year we took another Grandson, also 13 at the time, and he wanted to sit in the front seat and see everything as we drove. He never had anything electronic and loved it.

The point is, you may have different reactions from each child. I doubt that any one will be bored with all there is to see and do as you travel this beautiful Country.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #4

Howdy,

In reply to your question when my husband and I first talked about a motorhome I asked him the same question and question's...I look at a MH no different then I do my house now just protable and on wheels...You can get laptop with boardband card for running down the road. if you ahve tv in the bedroom you can get a PS 2 or 3. you can put a DVD player on board. or bring board games and have fun...do the same thing o board the MH you would in your house. but even still at times yes it can be boring but for the most part it fun and a blast. Sit back enjoy the ride and have fun with the kids... Best of luck many trips to come and happy huntings
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
We started rv'g 5 years ago when my boys were 14 and 10.

We pack lots of outdoor things to do. Football, croquet, bocce ball, badminton, frisbee and bathing suits if the weather permits and cg has a pool.

For inside we carry cards, jenga, other board/card games, drawing paper and pencils. Each boy had his own small personal white board and erasable marker. They played hangman and tic tac toe on them or just drew silly things that they could erase.

For traveling we have dvd's. The kids bring their ipod's and cell phones.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #6

kids

There is an old saying (Take your kids hunting with you when they are young , and you wont have to hunt for them when they get older ) This is not to say they have to hunt , but rather spending time with them. Kids need to learn to skip rocks, fish , explore caves, climb trees, ect.. To often the Digital age we are living in , gets in the way of real life lessons and experience. My fondest memories as a kid were camping with my parents, and although we didnt have all these electronics, I am certain my Dad would not have allowed us to miss out on nature in favor of Game boy.

While all this technology is important in todays world , so is being a kid. I say get a camper , and spend as much time as you can with them, they will love you for it , and you will know that you made every effort to show them places , things and experiences they would otherwise never have seen. Have a Great Day. Scott
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

There will be places where you will not get cell service, not have broadband service, no TV or Satellite due to trees or mountains. There are still plenty of old fashioned games for kids to play, indoors and out. Everywhere we go we see kids on bikes, playing ball, just shooting the breeze, hiking, etc. They will make friends with other kids and perhaps find out that mom and dad aren't so bad after all. I'll even bet they'll like roasting a marshmallow over a fire.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterdad View Post
There is an old saying (Take your kids hunting with you when they are young , and you wont have to hunt for them when they get older ) This is not to say they have to hunt , but rather spending time with them. Kids need to learn to skip rocks, fish , explore caves, climb trees, ect.. To often the Digital age we are living in , gets in the way of real life lessons and experience. My fondest memories as a kid were camping with my parents, and although we didnt have all these electronics, I am certain my Dad would not have allowed us to miss out on nature in favor of Game boy.

While all this technology is important in todays world , so is being a kid. I say get a camper , and spend as much time as you can with them, they will love you for it , and you will know that you made every effort to show them places , things and experiences they would otherwise never have seen. Have a Great Day. Scott
Well said.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #9

We have always camped with our kids. We had a VCR for the camper (night time and rainy days) and took movies. board games (scrabble and yahtzee were favs as well a a couple packs of playing cards) with us. We tended to stay in public campgrounds so no cable and off air was non-existent. The kids learned to entertain themselves (this is important for personal development... kids don't know have to entertain themselves anymore). We did hikes and went to museums (living history are good).
Old 12-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our first motorhome in 1998 when my three boys were 4,7 and 9. 12 years, 120,000 miles and 48 states later, they still can't wait to go on a road trip with Mom and Dad (while bringing along their buddies and girlfriends...).

They watch DVDs, hook up the Xbox and watch ESPN (we have in motion satellite) while I drive. After a few hours, they have to shut off the electronics and do something like reading, or help me navigate. One rule is that when ever we're in a national park, all electronics are shut off and everyone looks out the window.

When we pull into a campground, they are my pit crew and can't do anything until we are all hooked up to power, water and sewer.

In all that time, I have NEVER heard them utter the word 'Bored' on any road trip. Let them pick the places they want to go and take it upon yourself to make it happen.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVThere
You are right. We always camped with our 3 boys and they also had to pitch in to set up or break down the camp. Now that they are grown,47,49,51 they all have RV's and take their children camping with them. Now we get together with them on camping trips once a month to the beach which is only an hour away.
On Monday I went to a memorial for a friend that had passed away. He was one of the families that we went with when our kids were young. The main topic at the memorial were the memories that we all shared from our camping trips. It becomes a very very important way to bond with your children that will last through the years.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The kids need to learn to enjoy the outdoors and unplug from the cell phones and internet. You will be in some places that the cell phones will not work at all.

Heaven forbid that they might have to learn to play cards or board games with each other or better yet as a family. Monopoly is a great evenings entertainment as is a game of Spades or Hearts.

Good luck on disconnecting them.

Ken
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #13

Y'all are soooo right about 'disconnecting'. And our 4 will each have responsibility when setting up/breaking down camp. I like the rule about having to look out the window... I already do that. LOL I also hadn't thought about the fact that they *will* make friends along the way!

Thanks for the wisdom and 'hindsight' perspective!
RVnewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Our kids use their electronic devices to entertain themselves on the road, but when we get to where we are going they really enjoy helping set up, running around, making campfires, riding bikes, making friends with other kids in the campground, just to name a few things.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote