Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Max1 & ChiefJohn,

For some reason I couldn't get the video to play but it certainly looked like a nasty scene. Appreciate your viewpoint.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #16

bbry, my responce wasn't painful.

Just feel that if I'm going to be a part of the Forum and try an help those that have a question, that I need to be honest in my responces and answer even the 'tough' questions. As with any reply, sometimes you sound like the smartest person in the world...sometimes you don't.
Besides Rockintom knew what I had and I didn't want to be 'Black mailed' to do things I don't want to talk about.

I looked but couldn't find ChiefJohns post. Did I miss it.

bbry the video was of a person driving beyound his skill level in the fast lane, speeding and driving a vechile and trailer that had not been maintained in good working condition and no working breaks on the trailer. Boy! Heavens that sounds like half of all the driver and vechiles on the road. We see them every day.

I like the 'SUV' updates that Rush has. Remember the one where the SUV drove itself off the 5th level of a parking garage killing itself and the driver. That's why I won't own one.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also we are flatlanders with considerable years towing experience, not generally given to foolhardy behavior </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'bbry' -- "flatlanders" or "hillbilly's", we all make up this great RV'ing family. I hope you didn't take my "How much can I tow?" response wrong. What I'm referring to is only you know what your family takes on RV trips. All the essential and nice-to-have items must be taken into consideration when answering "How much can I tow?". My DW over packs, if one extra is nice, then two is even better!

Given the basic TV ratings and empty weight of the 5th wheel, start adding the pounds of all these goodies and you'll surprised how quickly those pounds = tons.

Good luck buddy and we hope to have you as a member of our Excel Owner's Forum -- keep us advised of your decision.
John
Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bbry:
We are looking at a 30RSO and wondering if a 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel Cummins/Allison can handle it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First, as I'm sure you're aware, the Chevy diesel is the Duramax...the Cummins is the Dodge diesel engine.

While the total weight that you're looking at pulling probably won't be a problem with a 3/4-ton truck, you might exceed the GVWR and/or rear GAWR of a 3/4-ton depending on how much weight you load into it. However, since you said you'd be using it mainly for weekend trips, you probably won't be loading a lot of weight into it, so you *should* be OK.

We have the 30RKE which is the same length and GVWR as the 30RSO you're looking at. With a full fresh water tank, our fifth wheel weighs 15,100#...100# over it's GVWR (thus, we don't travel with a full fresh water tank except for the very shortest distance possible). Also with a full fresh water tank, our pin weight is 3,475# which would be way over the rating of a 3/4-ton truck.

Of course, we're fulltime RVers, and have 4 solar panels on the front portion of the roof and 4 AGM batteries in the front storage compartment underneath the bedroom overhang. Obviously, you're not going to load up your fifth wheel like a fulltimer would, so as long as you're careful about the amount of weight you load into it you should be OK.

Once you get everthing loaded up ready for a trip, you might want to make your first stop the local scales and find out exactly what everything weighs.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Good spot, Linda. I still hadn't noticed I "misspoke". So far, we have always camped at spots with water/electricity (at least, prefer sewer, of course, too) so don't travel with a full water tank. Your pin weight is a surprise to me- wasn't thinking ours would be that heavy.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No problem, ChiefJohn. Interested in all the information I can get as this would be our first Excel and I understand they are considerably heavier than the aluminum frame units. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wrongway:
I think that you would be able to pull the 30 RSO with ease. The 4 wheel drive is really not going to add towablity to the truck as it remaining a 2 wheel.
Our group of trucks range from a 2000 Ford 2 wheel drive long box to a 2008 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4. With a One Ton Chevy in the middle for the bigger units. We are very confortable pulling and Handling 30-33 ft. with the 2 of the 3/4 ton Ford Short Box trucks that we have. One thing that you will find with Excel is the comfort of Towing with them vs. some of the the other brands on the market, New or Pre-Enjoyed. Just put the Tow-Haul Mode on, set the Cruise and let the truck take you where you want to go. (You still need to guide your way there by steering, just tring to stay ahead of some of the jokesters on here) We have several customers pulling up and down the highways with 3\4 Chevy's and are extremely pleased with operations of Truck and Trailer. Good luck to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for nothing, wrongway, but don't your vehicles get used just for moving around empty (delivery weight) trailers??

The 3/4 ton, 2005 GMC Duramax I used to own would move my Excel fine, until I put my "stuff" into it.

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
3/4 tons seem to be the truck of choice of snowbirds in southern Tx. I have seen 3/4 tons pulling 35 footers. I'm not saying it is correct but it is being done.

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Now, how did you know I was from South Texas- Do I type with an accent, too?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bbry:
Your pin weight is a surprise to me- wasn't thinking ours would be that heavy.QUOTE]
Your pin weight probably won't be that high...remember what I said above about the placement of our 4 solar panels and 4 AGM batteries (the batteries, all by themselves weight close to 320#). Most of that weight, if not all of it goes directly on the pin weight. And, of course, that's not counting all the other stuff we have loaded in the underneath storage area, plus all the stuff packed in the bedroom (remember, we're fulltimers, so everything we own is either somewhere in the fifth wheel, or in the truck). And, as I said, the above pin weight of our fiver was with a full tank of fresh water, which we rarely travel with. We haven't had the rig re-weighed with what we normally carry in our fresh water tank.

Here are the *dry* pin weights for the 30RSO (from my 2007 brochure...2006 weights are probably the same):

RT line: 2,270#
Classic line: 2,430#
Limited line: 2,490#

So, that's the starting point...the pin weight on a loaded fiver will be more. How much more depends on how much weight you load into it and the distribution of the load within the fiver.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
bbry,

I certainly wasn't taking any shots at you for being from TX. We love Tx. We are currently in Austin and have been in Tx. since mid Dec. I was just making an observation after spending the last 2 winters in Tx. Good Luck with your choice.
Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thank you all for your help. We did purchase the Excel and like it very much. We towed it about 120 miles this weekend and it seems to be both pulling and stopping well (even on the Fred Hartman bridge).
Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #27

bbry congradulations on your purchase of the Excel and to the Excel Owners Forum. Glad your first experience was an enjoyable one.

Chris
Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on your 'new' 2006 30RSO Excel. We hope you enjoy your "Excel Experience" as much as we have -- please don't be a stranger on the forum. The link at the top of the page will take you to our "Excel Family Map".
John & Marilyn