Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
a used Excel - anyone want to offer me advice?
bbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
a used Excel - anyone want to offer me advice?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bbry:
a used Excel - anyone want to offer me advice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the Excel Forum bbry. I purchased a 2001 Excel Limited in June 07 and we have been happy with our choice.

Is there a unit that you are currently looking at now? Would assume since you are asking for advice on Excels, that you have had RV's before and not looking for advice on 'kicking' tires.

Since I sometimes think harder than I should, is there specific advice your looking for.

Chris
Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm afraid I don't know enough to ask the right questions. What are you towing your trailer with? We are looking at a 30RSO and wondering if a 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel Cummins/Allison can handle it?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
'bbry', year of the Excel you're looking at?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sorry- it is a 2006.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #7

QUOTE]Originally posted by bbry:
We are looking at a 30RSO and wondering if a 3/4 ton Chevy Diesel Cummins/Allison can handle it?[/QUOTE]

The 06 2500 Duramax 4x4 crew cabs max tow rating with an 8'bed and 3.73 ratio is 13,200 and your 2006,30'RSO gross weight is 15,000. The 06 4x4 3500DRW has a MTWR of 16,000. That all said the engines are both the same so the 2500 will pull it though the ride quality and your ability to stop are what is affected. I also feel a DRW gives you more stability as its like having a extra set of feet on the ground to carry any side to side motion. Different years and various body styles make some difference as well. You will also find a good amount of discussion on the forums regarding this topic. For myself I went with a truck that is rated for what I intend to use it for not only for my families safety and comfort but also in the event of an accident the DOT can not say I was over weight their by leaving me open to a law suit.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
[

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for your reply. I certainly appreciate the input. Also considering a Carriage simply because it is a little lighter. TV is not a 4X4 but a long bed. The "book" gives a towing capacity of 15,100 or 15,400 depending on the length of the bed. I do realize that is cutting it pretty close so wondered if anyone on the forum is pulling theirs with a 2500.

Have been pulling a lighter fifth with it & can't even tell it is back there. I feel like I will be okay but would like to hear from someone who is actually doing it. Thanks again for your input.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I think that you would be able to pull the 30 RSO with ease. The 4 wheel drive is really not going to add towablity to the truck as it remaining a 2 wheel.
Our group of trucks range from a 2000 Ford 2 wheel drive long box to a 2008 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4. With a One Ton Chevy in the middle for the bigger units. We are very confortable pulling and Handling 30-33 ft. with the 2 of the 3/4 ton Ford Short Box trucks that we have. One thing that you will find with Excel is the comfort of Towing with them vs. some of the the other brands on the market, New or Pre-Enjoyed. Just put the Tow-Haul Mode on, set the Cruise and let the truck take you where you want to go. (You still need to guide your way there by steering, just tring to stay ahead of some of the jokesters on here) We have several customers pulling up and down the highways with 3\4 Chevy's and are extremely pleased with operations of Truck and Trailer. Good luck to you.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the reassurance. Just what I needed to hear.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
'bbry' The "How much can I tow?" has been debated on all the RV forums and only you can answer that question. I recommend the Changing Gears site for an in-depth discussion of weights and weight calculators.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #12

bbry,

Its good to finally come out of the closet.

I am currently using a 2002 Chevy 2500 with the D/A to tow my unit. It's a 2001, 33RLE. I bought the unit last year with the intent to upgrade the TV at the end of last year. Had been waiting for the '08 GM's to come out. At this point, still haven't upgraded and haven't decided now if it will be a Ford or a GMC. When I do make the choice it will be a 3500 series. With the price of diesel and the cost of a new '08, for the limited towing I've be doing in the next couple of years, it might be a good used truck if one comes along.

It seemed wrongway was able to answer your question. Other questions should be how you plan to use the unit, full time or weekend. What will be your total weight and important with a 2500, your pin/hitch weight. I feel wrongway has been able to answer that better than I can.

In our case we travel 4-6 times a year for 3-4 days at a time. Distance traveled less than 600 miles a year, 'bout 80-100 miles round trip. If we were in a position to travel more and depending on where we were, that would push up the TV search. The DW thinks I like tinkering with it more than traveling anyway.

Have not had the Excel weighted yet. With the base weights for my year and estimate of what we carry for a weekend, I'm within the rating for the truck but over by some amount on hitch even thought the truck does sit level. The engine and trans handles the unit fine. My prior unit was a 30fter, weighted 11,500. Did notice a difference in weight the first time I pulled the Excel. Not as much anymore, weight is still there, just an adjustment in how I drive. Some will dispute this comment, but the braking seems better on the Excel than with my prior. That doesn't mean I can stop on a dime during a panic, don't know if anyone can, just saying that with the driving habits I have and where we tow, I haven't been any more concerned than before.

Feel you just have to gather as much advice and knowledge as you can and make the best decisions that you feel comfortable with. So far, for what we do and where we go we are getting the trips done confortably with what we have. But look forward to upgrading to a 3500 at some point.

Hope something helped.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChiefJohn:
These folks learned their lesson the hard way! Attributed to braking problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.kirotv.com/news/14061660/detail.html#

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sorry to put you on the spot, Workhorse but you are just the person I needed to reply. I appreciate your forthrightness. We are pretty much just doing weekend trips now but may do a few one or two week ones before upgrading the tv. Also we are flatlanders with considerable years towing experience, not generally given to foolhardy behaviour. Thanks again for your input.