Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Post Please help - handicapped wife

I am considering purchasing an RV this year, but here is my situation, my wife is a recent amputee and very little mobility. She either uses her scooter or a walker ( for limited walking) to get around. I have a couple of questions I hope you folks can help me with.
1. I am looking for an RV either Class A or C that has easy access getting in and out as well as inside.
2. With limited mobility, how can she get into the RV?

Any suggestions on class, manufactures, etc????

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndog7602 View Post
I am considering purchasing an RV this year, but here is my situation, my wife is a recent amputee and very little mobility. She either uses her scooter or a walker ( for limited walking) to get around. I have a couple of questions I hope you folks can help me with.
1. I am looking for an RV either Class A or C that has easy access getting in and out as well as inside.
2. With limited mobility, how can she get into the RV?

Any suggestions on class, manufactures, etc????

Thank you.
We have a wheelchair accessible unit built by Newmar. Ours is a 2009 diesel unit which is no longer made. But, they are now making a gas unit and here is the link on these discussion boards. I would suggest contacting Jon Steinbring of Steinbring Motorcoaches in Garfield, MN. He sold us ours and has sold one or two of the new models.

Handicap Canyon Star 3911 Wheelchair Accessible Unit

Steinbring Motorcoach-The Nation's Newmar Dealer-New & Used RVs

Good luck.

Don

Old 01-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago makes a few handicap accessible Class A and Class C motorhomes.

Ability Equipped
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem with all RV's both trailers and motor homes, all classes is you go up stairs to get into the thing.

That said, there are lift kits you can get and have installed, I would not be surprised at all to find some that are factory installed if you are buying new.

Doors are a bit narrow, for my tastes. but that would have to be factory ordered if you wanted a wider one.

NOTE: if you order one new,,, Make sure EVERY promise the salesman makes is in writing, Do not trust his lips to anything, If' it is not on paper, It does not exist.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Burr Handi-Lift

We had a Burr Handi-Lift installed on our Class A. If will lift someone (in a standing postion) all the way up to floor level (if you have a retractable stairwell cover like we do). It takes about 90 seconds up or down.

We love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2607.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	17460   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2617.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	17461  

sfrantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

Be careful with retrofitting a lift to a rig to make it accessible without considering other interior features like bathroom, maneuvering room, etc.

I am not familiar with any except Newmar, but I know they design and build theirs so that someone in a wheelchair can traverse the length of the coach with slides in. That has been a great thing for us. Also, bathroom doorways and maneuvering is critical.

There are all kinds of disabilities and everyone's needs are different. If someone just needs a lift to get into the coach but is otherwise ambulatory once there, their needs will certainly differ in the interior compared to someone in a wheelchair.

Don
Old 01-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

I don't have much input other than to direct you to a blog I follow. .......Rolling in a RV - Wheelchair Traveling....... I believe they detail their rig on the page. Best of luck and welcome to the forums!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Since your wife uses a scooter to get around on you might want to check out the toy haulers. They are equipped with a ramp that she could drive up to get into the RV. Do a search on Google for Toy Haulers.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
There was a lift system for the entry door for sale on here a while back. I have a class C motorhome and a small mobility scooter. I have a great floorplan and there is room to store the scooter in the bathroom and (after the battery has been removed) it is light enough for me to roll it out of the motorhome. I have also carried a lightweight wheelchair and crutches. After breaking my foot for the second time and having surgery, I had to sit on the steps to my MH to walk my dogs. They have long leashes and could reach the grass. I would put them back inside then go out on my crutches to clean up after them. Not easy, but possible (and I am a single RVer).
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #10

You may want to check out http://handicappedtravelclub.com/
Our Alpine coach has been modified with a wheelchair lift and accessible bathroom and bedroom. If your wife is not wheelchair bound a seat lift will be a much cheaper mod. Startracks Custom Seat Lifts for RVs
We have looked at a lot of new motor homes but 4 slide-outs on most is a problem to retrofit. Both Winnebago and Newmar make accessible coaches as stated earlier.
On the used market Four Winds made the Windsport 34W accessible coach.
You are not alone!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome houndog, glad you joined us on the forum. As you can see from all the above you came to the right place to get some good advise.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicapped, wheelchair