Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #29

Radioman,

We won't be at the Tampa RV Show...we are working the All Valley RV Show in the Texas Valley about the same time. I don't know who will be in Tampa but I am sure there will be a PressurePro Dealer there.

Let us know if we can help you.

Pat

850-294-0281
Tetoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Radioman,
I have an 05 GMC ENVOY XUV. I have problems with PP and my rubber valve stems. I replaced the valve stems with all steel stems.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #31

Gary -

RE: Pressure Pro valve stem extenders.

At some point I'd like to talk to you about your experience with the metal extenders. We'll be at the Tampa show and staying at Lazy Days with the NKK Pelicans group. If you'll be at the SuperShow with NKK I'll try to locate you there - or maybe we'll see you at the state Newmar rally in Chumuckla? Thanks.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Radioman,
I will be co-hosting the Super Show Newmar Special Event. I'll be the tall (some say skinny) old guy running around solving problems. I'll also be at the NKK store (in the NKK tent) during the hours it is open.

I have not yet registered for Chumuckla. My plan is to go. I was there 2 years ago and had a good time. Unfortunately, I have some family issues that need to be closed before I can register.

If you do not know where the NKK will be parked, go to the Newmar display and ask. In addition, you can enter the fair grounds using the MLK entrance. As you enter the fair grounds, you'll see the NKK area on your right.

As far as the rubber valve stems go, PP sensors tore up my original rubber stems in less than 6 months. PP did warn me of the low pressure. I had a GMC dealer replace them with rubber stems with a steel insert. The felt very stiff when in hand so I thought they would work. PP sensors tore them up in just a few months. I had a GMC dealer install all steel stems. So far, so good.

I was told, by GMC, that the problem might be that the wheels on my ENVOY are curved (instead of flat) where the stem seal is made with the wheel.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Hope this isn't a silly question. Thought I'd done "enough" research on PP, but guess not.

What is involved with replacing the valve stems?

Thanks1
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hope this isn't a silly question.
There are no silly questions.

Usually, a whole lot of folks are thankful that someone asked a question that they were hesitant to ask.

Valve stems are installed from inside the tire/wheel.

The tire/wheel is removed from the vehicle, deflated, and sometimes the tire may have to be removed from the wheel, sometimes there is enough room to reach in after the tire bead is moved away from the wheel rim.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
To add to what Dirk posted, the tires also need to be rebalanced. There is a charge for this service, check with your vendor before signing up.

Do not do what I did. I waited to see what would happen. I replaced the original stems with rubber with a steel insert (cost decision). Then I finally replaced the stems with all steel. Consider going directly to all steel stems, immediately. Leaking stems happen when on a trip and you are trying to have fun. Consider doing the change at your convenience with a vendor you know and trust.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #36

I hate to ask a silly question, but since I'm following these posts and plan on getting a PressurePro TPMS too, can I get the steel stems at a Wal-Mart tire shop? I have a lifetime balance with them for my Toad tires. Or, is this an item that needs a more specialized shop? BTW, we are finally in FLA at an SKP park in Bushnell and plan to drive down to the Super Show and would love to meet, in person, some of you guys - especially those with NKK.

OpaRon
2005 Dutch Star 4009
2002 4Runner Toad

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron,
The answer to your question is that it all depends. It depends on the wheel & stem that is installed on your vehicle. The only way to determine if a particular tire shop can help you is to:
1. Call first and see if they have steel valve stems.
2. Go to the shop and see if what they have will fit your wheels.
As I went through my scenario, the telephone did me no good. There are too many different wheels GMC put on the ENVOY. When a shop saw where the stem connected to the my wheels they said they had nothing for me. This left the only choice being to have a GMC delaership put in genuine GMC parts (read many $$$).

When you come to the show, enter via the MLK street entrance. The NKK event will be on your right. If you can not find us, go to the Newmar display and ask them.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #38

Jesh - my 'alerts' aren't working for this topic.... so I apologize for the delay on answers! Pat was right, I don't monitor the forums on the weekends (I've recently purchased my first home and spend most of my weekends remodeling or getting my new 'baby' great dane potty trained). I do however come in at least one day a weekend to the offices to check and answer emails, so if you ever need to get in contact with me, don't hesitate to use my contact information!

Radioman - let me put out a mailing to my Distributors and see if any dealers will be there to talk with you. I should have an answer by tomorrow, and I'll let you know.

As for the tow stems, we always recommend that customers of PressurePro use Metal or Steel Stems when possible. We have also put out warnings for customers to watch out for many low cost rubber stems on the market (mainly China made) that tend to fail and have problems. Obviously, an item, no matter how light, on the end of your valve stem causes some additional strain - with that said however, I have run sensors on my personal vehicle with rubber valve stems for 3 years without leaks, cracks or any problems.

bjbkkb - We have looked into discounts with insurance companies before, but as of yet, we haven't been contacted and told that special discounts have been offered. With that said, I think that there should be insurance breaks (awards) allowed for people using TPMS as you are taking preemptive measures to add safety for yourself and others. Any ideas from anyone in this forum (and insurance dealers or retired dealers) that can offer some ideas on how I might be able to make a better impact when going to the insurance companies again this time?

Hope I answered everything!

As always, SAFE TRAVELS!

Advantage PressurePro
PressurePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #39

Vanessa -

Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #40

Great posts and answers above. I've been running Pressure Pro on my DP for couple years and have been considering putting them on my Jeep toad, but have worried about the rubber valve stems. And to make matters worse, I just had new tires put on it last spring and never thought about asking about metal valve stems at that time. Now I know it will be costly to have the wheels removed, deflated, stems replace, replaced on vehicle, and re-balanced. Would have been real easy then.
Also, since occasionally the monitor loses contact with one of the rear senders on the motor home until I reposition it on the dash, I was wondering how much trouble I might have with it reading clear from the toad. I don't have any external antennas or such.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #41

Wagonmaster,

Thank you. The rubber valve stems on a new tires should hold PressurePro without problem. As I believe I stated above, I run the sensors on my personal vehicle with rubber stems, and have for 4 years without problems.

As far as dropped signals on your rear tires, how long is your rig? If your RV is over 39 foot or so, we do recommend adding an echo repeater (MSRP is $95 with a cord) if you see dropped signals, as that is indicating that you need a bit of a boost for your reception. The Echo Repeater is a plug-and-play addition to your system, requiring you only to power it with a 12volt source, and you're off and running. If you'd like to talk more about this, don't hestitate to call.

Safe Travels!
Vanessa

Advantage PressurePro
PressurePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #42

Thank you Vanessa - my unit is 37' long. Don't know if it is actually a dropped signal or just unreadable from the sensor for a few minutes. The red light on the monitor for one of the rear tires will just be lit up for a while until I move the monitor across the dash to the side of the coach that the red light indicates its not receiving from. I like for the monitor to be on the dash in front of me by the left side of the windshield, but sometimes I have to move it clear over to the right side of the dash, or vise versa. The Echo Repeater may be the answer, especially if I decide to go for the toad. Thanks for the response.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
2001 Jeep Wrangler