Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I think parting ways with CW of Boise was a good idea. I have never heard of paying money to negotiate a price. I bought my Journey from a dealer some 1,500 miles away and there were a lot of emails sent, but no money changed hands until a deal was reached and a full refund was to be given if the unit did not meet my approval when I got on site to inspect it.

Terry & Brenda - From the Iowa Banks of the Mighty Mississippi
2011 Winnie Journey 34y, Freightliner / Cummins , 2012 Chevy Colorado Toad

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
My attempts at purchasing our first MH seem to be turning into something of a soap opera. The sales rep that I was dealing with at Camping World of Boise had said something about having a contact at the factory and a dealer who canceled an order. He had responded to my request for a VIN with "Where this unit is being manufactured I won’t have a vin# until it comes offline".

After parting ways with CW Boise, I decided to try working with a third CW. I restarted a stalled communication with "Camping World in Island Lake Illinois" about a unit identical to the one "just coming offline at the factory" that Boise had offered me.

The sales rep at CW Island Lake responded to my next email with "Your information has been removed from my computer. It may have been transferred To another Camping World you were talking to. What is the unit you want to buy".

Yep, you probably guessed it. After another email exchange, he wrote me back saying "that is my unit that the Idaho Branch was selling you" and he is offering to sell it to me for a couple grand more than I offered CW Boise. ( he gave me the VIN and said that it's been on his lot for 6 weeks ).

I do feel that CW Island Lake Illinois has been professional, courteous and, to the best of my knowledge, honest with me so far. Nonetheless, I'm not getting any warm feelings about purchasing an RV from Camping World right now.

All in all, it's been a sobering experience, and, well, kind of creepy.

--Charlie Jordan

cj11363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Never give any money without knowing the full contract details. Which means the bottom line sales price. If the sales guy can't give you that, walk out. Once you have the details of the purchase, you can determine how to pay for it, how much down, and what (if required) financing.

Once the sales guy has your credit card info, he has you hooked and lowers your negotiation power.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Charlie! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

You made a very wise decision not to advance the money! There are lots of deals out there if you just don't get in a hurry! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

You are so right. We have been shopping for a year, we had a deal with CampingWorld in Berkeley MA and the dealership reneged on their quote after we drove back to pay for our new motorhome. I was shocked when they came back at $15,000 higher and said "sorry, we made a mistake" which is totally possible but wow, would you pay $15K more because the salesperson made a mistake? lol, I know the answer to that question!

In the last year, we've looked at 50 motorhomes and driven a 1/2 dozen. We're back on the hunt for a mid-living room diesel pusher 2009 or newer. We would love to have one this season but we are still both working and are not in a rush.

Good luck to us all who are still in buying mode, don't let the actions of one dealer sway you from the joy of being a motorhome owner.
Musikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #19
Believe me I'm not defending CW but I purchased our Rev from them in person and let them put a $2,000 hold on my card which they put back and they would have refunded if I didn't buy the rig. Like I said I'm not defending them but what other way do companies to keep the dreamers from wasting there time and not being serious.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
I would certainly agree with this statement as I bought a previous MH from CW in Charleston, SC and they were outstanding to deal with and very professional. I live in Bartlett, TN and will be driving to the Nashville CW next Saturday to look at a Zappy scooter I want. CW just bought a dealership in Olive Branch, MS and they are rebranding it right now as well as building a retail store. Last I heard they were planning an April opening. I love going to them, not for the prices, but the huge selection of merchandise. Good luck to you in your search.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums!
I'd agree as well, but I had the opposite experience. Went there (Oakwood, Ga) for the first time a few weeks ago. Couldn't find a salesman. Receptionist finally pointed us toward the used class A's at the other end of a huge lot. So while salesmen whizzed by us on golf carts without stopping, my wife and it plodded all the way across to go in about ten units the were dirty and ratty looking. We even ended up going in some units that were there for service because they were near the used ones and Camping World personnel had left them unlocked. We didn't know which were used and which were owned until we started seeing clothes, food and flowers. Won't be back. Won't EVER leave mine there for service. Very disappointed.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Believe me I'm not defending CW but I purchased our Rev from them in person and let them put a $2,000 hold on my card which they put back and they would have refunded if I didn't buy the rig. Like I said I'm not defending them but what other way do companies to keep the dreamers from wasting there time and not being serious.
I wanted the dealership to trust that I was a serious buyer, and the dealership wanted me to trust them with a deposit. I think that it is understandable, even wise, that both parties were reluctant to unconditionally accept an immediate trust relationship.

I made an offer on a MH and was expecting the dealer to provide a decision on my offer. The dealer wanted me to make a deposit before evaluating my offer. My risk was simple: $2,000. The dealer's risk was not as obvious to me. At the very least, it did not seem to me that we were entering into this trust relationship on an equal footing.

Nonetheless, I was still willing to entertain their counter offer ( i.e.: give us a $2k deposit and we will evaluate your offer to purchase ). All that I wanted in return was something in writing specifying the terms of my deposit, and that's when I felt that the negotiation process turned very unprofessional, almost surreal.

--Charlie Jordan
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a similar experience with CW Myrtle Beach SC. Searching on line I found a DP in Atlanta GA that fit my needs. Being closer to CW in Myrtle beach they agreed to deliver it to MB if I gave them a 1 K deposit. Reluctantly I did and traveled to MB to inspect the coach. Of course at my expense, hotel room etc etc. preparing to leave the motel and view the coach I received a phone call that the coach would not be available to view until late afternoon? My DW and I went early, the coach was a mess, dirty worn and really used! We called the salesman saying we were there and going to inspect the coach his response well it's my day off but I'll come in? Right! Long story short we made an appropriate offer based upon condition, he nonchalantly took it to the sales manager who shrugged his shoulders and replied we will forward your offer to our corporate office? Very strange. We returned home and after a week were contacted by the salesman who replied, " were all in, the only item that will be repaired is the wiper motor take the price or forget it." We forgot it. The thousand dollar deposit was never charged against the card. Yes CW is a pretty spooky operation. Run don't look back, a worthy dealer is a very important asset in your purchase. Shop their reputation as well as your price point. Most times a few percentage points greater if purchased from a reliable dealership that sells and services will save you big bucks later! JMO been there done that!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Since you are looking at certain options you are having problems finding, have you considered ordering one? That way you could have it built the way you want it.
Great advice, and I just put a deposit down on a 2015 Navion 24J through Lewis RV! Their quote on a 2015 model came in at a few hundred dollars less than what I tried to offer CW on an "old" ( 2013 colors, graphics and decor ) 2014 model, and everything is "in writing" ( still don't understand why that was such a show stopper for CW ). Glad now that CW made it so difficult for me.

Got quotes from 3 non-CW dealers: Lichtsinn, Lewis RV and Cullum & Maxey (local). From lowest to highest, the 3 quotes were only $5K apart and came within 2 days of sending email requests. Only one dealer responded via email.

The best quote was in the middle of what my research had lead me to expect ( %22 - %28 off MSRP). Lichtsinn points out that they are right next door to the factory, and Cullum & Maxey made a reasonable point about local service. All 3 sales people ( Reed @ Lichtsinn, Jay @ Cullum & Maxey, Connie @ Lewis RV ) were pleasant and professional.

The biggest single factor in my purchasing decision was getting a no hassle/no haggle price ( via email! ) from Lewis RV that met my expectations. I absolutely love doing business this way, and it was a refreshing change from my previous vehicle purchasing experiences. ( Connieís email address is cmo2244063@aol.com ). Some people seem to enjoy haggling over purchase price, I donít. I suppose that it's possible that I could have played one dealership against another to save a little money, but I donít like doing business that way.

I'm getting what I want at a price that's acceptable to me. The dealership must be happy, or they wouldn't have offered it to me at that price. Seems like a win-win transaction to me.

Connie @ Lewis RV said to expect our unit to arrive during the first week of July. If thatís an accurate estimation, then maybe weíll be able to use it for a family vacation in OH before our son ships out for Basic Training, which is an unexpected bonus. Looks like Lewis RV is just down the road from the Air Force Museum. 6 paved bike trails in Montgomery county and several State Parks nearby that look interesting. This could be fun.

Any recommendations on parks, campgrounds, things to do or places to see in OH in mid-July ?

--Charlie Jordan