Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #1

Well this weekend we are off to an RV show in Huntington West Virginia, in search of a travel trailer.

If all goes well, we hope to find one that we can use for years to come.

If anyone wants to give us any tips to use while dealing, looking, or what ever else you can think of, it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #2

Well this weekend we are off to an RV show in Huntington West Virginia, in search of a travel trailer.

If all goes well, we hope to find one that we can use for years to come.

If anyone wants to give us any tips to use while dealing, looking, or what ever else you can think of, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Terry44,
Welcome to IRV2! Good Luck on your search for your new TT. If you go to the "New Rig Showoff" section - you will find a PDI checklist of what to look for. THey have it broken down into Class A, TT...etc.
Happy Hunting this weekend..and we expect pictures from you by Monday!!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Terry44, Welcome to irv2.com. We are glad you have found us and hope that you will be an active participant on the forum. The best advice given to me long ago was "Take your Time". Knowing how you will use the unit is a big part of it. With that in mind pretend to do the things that you are getting the unit for. Make a meal, bathe, sleep, watch TV lat at night and so on. Good luck and enjoy!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #5

Bought my first class c in Huntington. Check out Setzers(or however you spell it). They gave me a good deal when I bought mine.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Terry44 to irv2.
Check down in TT Forums info there also. Enjoy the forums and post often and good luck in finding your TT to be.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #7

Well we went..we saw...and we're confused...lol

I bought a 99 1/2 ton suburban thinking it would be able to handle a trailer between 28-30.
Not the case unless we go with a lite weight trailer.

Seeing as I need to keep the suburban, we decided to look at the lite weight campers.

We did like two trailers, a starcraft antigua model 285ss0. Completely different than any other trailer we saw at the show.
Asking $20,369

And a trail sport TS27qbss.
Then only thing i don't like about this, is the masterbed room doesn't have a door closing it off, its just a curtain and looks uck!
asking $20,000

I'm leaning more towards the trail sport, because of the weight is around 900lbs lighter.
And the trailer would match the tv too..lol

Anyone have any of these trailers and can enlighten me about them? quality and what your pulling them with?
And not to be nosey, but about what you paid for it.

Also, asking about when dealing.
Whats a good percentage to start off of on the price?
20%,15%???

This is will be the first camper and I'm kinda cluess at this.

I know most of them make commission and i don't mind paying it, however, I don't want took either.

I have a class 3 hitch but will be needing the hitch to pull the camper, should i try to get them to throw that in as part of the deal?

Any and all help would be appreciated once again.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Terry I'm going to jump your question down into the tow forum may get more responce and not get lost up here.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #9

Shows are a great place to gather information. Buy you can become overloaded really fast. First, try to narrow down what you want in a floor plan. Then start looking for quality. Look inside cabinets to see how the drawers are put together. What kind of slides they use. You will be surprised to see many manufacturers simply use wood on wood for drawer guides. A RV is like any other single purchase you make. quality is in the eye of the beholder. There are good and bad builders. And good builders can make a bad unit.
After you have decided on what amenities and floor plan you want, then deciding on size is the next major hurdle. This will depend a lot on the tow vehicle you have, or will be getting. A 1/2 ton pickup should be able to handle a TT up to about 25-26 feet, and never a fifth wheel. A 3/4 ton truck will handle a TT up to about 30 feet and a fiver up to about 30 feet depending on engine configuration. Truck limitations when towing a fiver is really dependent on pin weights. Be sure to use the GVWR numbers for any trailer you pick in calculating hitch/pin weights.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry, you are going to get all sorts of advice here. Sounds like you will pretty well have your 'Burb maxed out. Which engine and axle d o you have?

One thing to add to the 'Burb is an aux transmission cooler. Also, get the transmisson oil changed at 20,000 mile intervals. Oil changes are a lot less money than a rebuilt tranny. Keep the engine oil changed on the severe duty schedule as well.

Typically you can expect to get about 20 to 25% off the true MSRP of the trailer. Sometimes you canget a bit more.

They do not "throw in" the hitch, you wil pay for it.

I'd suggest you get a Reese Dual Cam or an Equali-z-er brand hitch and nothing less. For that size trailer, I do not like friction type sway systems. Also, I'd go for a Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller. A decent 2nd choice brake controller is the Prodigy. Here again, I'd not accept anything less. The dealer will try to put on a cheaper hitch or brake controller.

One word of caution is to make sure that anything the dealer promises you is actually listed on the contract. They have away of forgetting promises. Also, when you go to pick up the trailer, no money changes hands or papers signed until you do a complete PDI (pre-delivery inspection) of the trailer and everything is 100%. As much as you would like to take it home, do not until it is 100% right. Once he has your $$$ you do nothave the upper hand.

Ken
Old 01-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #11

My motor is a 5.7 V-8 (just turned 87,000 miles)

Rear end is 3.73.

According to my book it says tow limit is 6500lbs.

I've been told to stay with 80% of that weight, which brings me to 5200lbs loaded.
Then I've been told to stay around 500lbs under my tow weight and I'd be fine.

UGH!!!!!

I don't know what to do.
Wife really likes the Antigua alot and thats whats my issue.
Like I said before the trail sport is around 900lbs lighter and I'd think I'm ok with that.
but then again thats a book approx weight too.

Ideas, sugguestions, comments anything I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry, the only way to know your limits for sure is to weigh your 'Burb loaded for a trip with passengers, full fuel and any normal cargo. Add 100# to 150# for the hitch if you do not have one. This is your laden vehicle weight (LVW).

Your drivers door will have a sticker listing your GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and your owners manual will have a listing your your engine and axle fro the GCWR (gross combined weight rating).

Now some simple math.
GVWR - LVW = maximum trailer hitch weight.
GCWR - LVW = maximn loaded trailer weight.

You should be able to get your truck weighted at a local truck stop, or maybe a moving company or feed store. Charge is typically about $7.00.

If you are careful and do not run with a lot of water in the fresh or waste tanks and pack light, you can be well under the trailers GVWR, but well over the trailer dry weight.

Typically with a 28' triler you are into 3/4 ton truck range.

On the 1/2 ton 'Burbs, you need to watch the rear axle and transmission as these are two weak points when towing.

Hope you have fun shopping.

Ken
Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #13

Hello

My first tow vehicle was a 98 1500 Suburban 4x4 with the 5.7L and 3.73 rear end. I bought the trailer listed in my signature. My burb had a GVWR of 7300 lbs. By the time I filled the fuel tank (44 gal) and added the tongue weight, I was at the limit without anything else. I was overloaded in both GVWR and CGVWR. I used the burb for a couple of trips that were within a few hours distance but was not satisfied at all.

Anytime you are overloaded, the combination will not work well! I couldn't tow in overdrive, so was running 3000 rpms at 55 mph. The suspension was overloaded and not stable with passing trucks.

Bought and old F-350 with 6.9 diesel and banks turbo. No problems! Towed like a dream. Plenty of power and stability (used same hitch and sway control). When I added to the family I had to increase my passenger capacity, therefore, the 15 passenger van.

All this to say, be careful about your numbers before you buy, unless you can upgrade you tow vehicle. I know from experience, along with many others on this forum, that being over your limits (sometimes just at your limits) can make for a unsafe and displeasureable towing experience.