Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #1

New to IRV2 - I will be travelling to Swannanoa (next to Asheville NC) from Hershey PA and would like thoughts, recommendations, warnings, etc. on road conditions, climb, etc. First long trip with my Class A 35' which I just purchased in July (31' class C before)and will be towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara.

My plan is to take I81 South to I77 South to I40. If you have other recommendations - I would greatly appreciate them. I have little mountain driving RV experience and want to be prepared as much as possible. Also has anyone ever stayed at Miles Motor RV Center & Campground in Swannanoa?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #2

New to IRV2 - I will be travelling to Swannanoa (next to Asheville NC) from Hershey PA and would like thoughts, recommendations, warnings, etc. on road conditions, climb, etc. First long trip with my Class A 35' which I just purchased in July (31' class C before)and will be towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara.

My plan is to take I81 South to I77 South to I40. If you have other recommendations - I would greatly appreciate them. I have little mountain driving RV experience and want to be prepared as much as possible. Also has anyone ever stayed at Miles Motor RV Center & Campground in Swannanoa?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 AM   #3

We've driven the I-81-77-40 route you mentioned and there is no problem. Avoid driving the lower part of I-77 at night or early in the morning - often there is very, very dense fog. I drove my car through such a fog at about 10 mph and prayed that no one was in front or behind me because I couldn't see much farther than the hood of my car. I would have stopped except I couldn't see sideroads or signs. There is a very steep section of I-40 near Black Mountain, N.C. You'll be okay going up the hill, but when you return to I-77, make sure you gear down your rig when you hit the steep portion of I-40. You'll know when you hit it because there is a truck detour that gives truckers instructions for going down the grade. Don't know anything about the campground in Swannanoa.
Annie K and Sparky, the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL36LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Hi and Welcome to iRV2.

George

P.S.: Do you work at the chocolate factory, school, or the park? GM
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hello 'WimbledonDolphin',

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

I've stayed at the Miles Motor RV Center & Campground in Swannanoa. It's nothing spectacular, just an older small campground relatively close to I-40. The sites aren't jambed too close to each other and the hookups are OK. The sites are level too.

As an alternative to I-77 you could continue on I-81 and take I-26 through Johnson City, TN and on down to Asheville. That stretch of I-26 is new (opened in '03) and there are some breathtaking views as it crosses the mountains at Sam's Gap.

If you come that way and the timing is right, the Appalachian Campers are having our End of Summer Rally 9/7 - 9/10, we'd love to have y'all stop by and join us. It's near exit 23 of I-26.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As an alternative to I-77 you could continue on I-81 and take I-26 through Johnson City, TN and on down to Asheville. That stretch of I-26 is new (opened in '03) and there are some breathtaking views as it crosses the mountains at Sam's Gap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that emotion. What a drive!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
That stretch of I-26 is new (opened in '03) and there are some breathtaking views as it crosses the mountains at Sam's Gap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just ran in both directions on that stretch of highway back from Bristol, TN.

Not to be missed and the rest stops are outstanding!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

Just ran in both directions on that stretch of highway back from Bristol, TN.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

You passed within 13 miles of where I live when you went by Unicoi.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #9

What HitchHiker said; we live in the area. I find the stretch on I40 between I77 and Asheville to be a little rough with lots of traffic. The I26 drop down from I81 is RVer country.

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #10

I have little experience with Mountain driving - What am I going to get into. I have a 35' Dolphin LX with a toad. I hear so much about mountain driving that I don't want to get into a mess with steep drives and chugging away thru most of the ride. I would expect an Interstate to be fine - Let me know.

I am also staying at Miles RV center and Campground (Mama Gerties Campground gave me the name - its probably more like a service center than a campground but we need it only for nights as we will be visiting a lot) Any recommendations of what to see around Asheville would be great)

Thanks
Old 09-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have little experience with Mountain driving - What am I going to get into. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I-26 from I-81 to I-40 isn't a bad way to cross the mountains. It's a gentle 5 or 6 percent grade both up and down and the curves are gentle. It's a new modern Interstate on which you shouldn't have any problems. Folks cross it every day with trailers and motorhomes.

Most of the MH's have toads, occasionally I'll see an RV'r with an underpowered MH who'll disconnect the toad and have the co-pilot follow behind until the grade flattens out.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recommend the I-81 to I-26 route. Beautiful country, not at all difficult even if no expierience in hills. JUst use yur transmission, slow down and enjoy the country.

Dieselclacker
Old 09-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #13

Thanks to all of you - I will be taking I26 from I81. I am looking forward to the drive.