Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Smile Retired Yesterday!

I retired yesterday and we are looking to enter the RV world. Knowing absolutely nothing other than leaning toward a Class C, we will venture out shopping. I have a friend strongly suggesting we look for a used Winnebago View, 2 years or so old. We will be weekend warriors in summer months til the misses retires from teaching, then it's free game. We will mainly have just us two but when traveling with friends may have up to 7.
We are looking for some opinions, gas/diesel, manufacturer, mileage, etc. I am sure brands vary and there are some to run away from and others to go after. Please, all input is welcome. We are in the Cincinnati Ohio area..
heidorn39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago and Jayco build above average class C's. Before you go out and make a major financial purchase, I'd suggest you rent one for a few days and try it out. You will quickly see things the you like and dislike.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to IRV2!!
There are alot of great people here that will help with any specific questions you may have when you narrow your search a bit. I am the wrong guy to answer this because I will get you into trouble. You asked so here is my opinion!
I am also new to the RV world but, I have been in the boat world and was worried about 2 footitous getting to me so.....I went big!! I went with a Class A 40 footer Diesel Pusher and am so glad I did!! It is awesome and when we have our friends with us we all have good privacy. I enjoy everything about the big coach!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Most class 'C's will be gas. The best two gas engines are Chevy 8.1 litre or the Ford 6.8 litre V10. (The Chevy 8.1 is no longer being made)

They will range in length from 24 to 31 feet. They typically will sleep 2 in the overhead cab, two kids on the dinette converted to a bed, two kids on the couch converted to a bed, and two in the bedroom for a total of 8.

Cost after discount 65k to 85k new.

2 or 3 years old will cost approx 15k less.

Agree that Jayco and Winnebago build better than average class 'C' motorhomes.

Diesel - I believe the only new diesel class 'C's are smaller with a 3.0 liter Mercedes engine.

Super 'C' Diesel - these are usually 34 to 37 feet long. These are much more expensive new. Probably $140 to $180 after discount. Not a lot of Super 'C's are built compared to the number of regular 'C's.

I am very familiar with Jayco. I looked at most of their products. Winnebago not so much.

I would suggest looking at Jayco Melbourne line for gas.

And used Jayco Seneca diesel.

You have a two large RV dealers in Cinnci.
Tom Raper and Colrain. They will have a good selection of Class 'C' units.

For the way you want to use your RV I would recommend a normal class 'C' gas engine.

I am in Columbus - go Reds !!!
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
HHg

Congrats on your retirement. I can't wait for mine. I too would advise that you rent one first. I know it seems like wasted money....but you will be glad you did! I have first hand knowledge

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to IRV2!!

Agree with renting first - money well spent. There are the couple large national RV rentals. Also there are smaller rental companies and individuals that rent. Craigslist will often show these rental offerings.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! Congrats on your retirement.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd really suggest renting an RV for at least a week. Consider the cost of renting as dues.
You will learn a lot in that week and while you are out camping talk to all those around you in the campgrounds and pick their brains.

When you finally do buy a rig you better be sure the wife approves the layout first. Otherwise you'll be back on here talking about the 2nd RV you are going to buy.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad to have you join us!

Congrats on the retirement! We did that a couple of years ago and it's great!
Hope you can find just the right rig for your needs. I would suggest posting any questions you have over in the specific areas of the forum for better results. Not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Winnebago and Jayco build above average class C's. Before you go out and make a major financial purchase, I'd suggest you rent one for a few days and try it out. You will quickly see things the you like and dislike.

Ken
This is great advice. I wish I would have done this before I made my frist purchase decision!
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidorn39 View Post
I retired yesterday and we are looking to enter the RV world. Knowing absolutely nothing other than leaning toward a Class C, we will venture out shopping. I have a friend strongly suggesting we look for a used Winnebago View, 2 years or so old. We will be weekend warriors in summer months til the misses retires from teaching, then it's free game. We will mainly have just us two but when traveling with friends may have up to 7.
We are looking for some opinions, gas/diesel, manufacturer, mileage, etc. I am sure brands vary and there are some to run away from and others to go after. Please, all input is welcome. We are in the Cincinnati Ohio area..
CONGRATULATIONS on your LIFE ACHIEVEMENT!

Also:

Welcome to IRV2! You will find a great group of people here willing to help out and share their experiences and knowledge. Also the fellowship is wonderful here on IRV2.

Please keep us posted of your progress, decisions, and choices, and post lots of pictures....we love pictures!

Again, Congratulations, Best Wishes, and Welcome!

Blessings,

Kent
Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
congratulations on your retirement...we did the same thing...
February 2012. We put 10000 miles on it since! And travelled across country came back home in September...emptied the house and put it on the market. We never had an RV before but we had plenty of boats so living in smaller quarters making sure there was a place for everything needed. We checked out several local dealers, Craigslist, and local classifieds...and used this forum for lots of great, useful information...we bought a 2000 Holiday Rambler with only 18000 miles on it...first big expense was for six new tires...it does not have a slide but there are only two of us and if we want more space, we go outside....of course we are now looking at the Vacationer.
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #13

Carolina Campers
I recommend you rent as well. We did and it definitely benefited us. I also suggest you visit the RV shows and look at what suits you.

And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RETIREMENT!!! I want to grow up and be just like you. Welcome to IRV2 as well!
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you rent one make sure it has a bed where one person has to climb over the other person to get out.

That way you will NEVER buy a rig that doesn't have a walk around bed.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote