Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #1

Revolution, Diplomat, Tour or Allegro Bus?

Boy, do I need help. I've narrowed my first motorhome search down to four possibles, although the price of the Bus might eliminate it from my choices. I first thought I wanted a Diplomat but didn't want to spend that much and now it's the least expensive of what I'm looking at. The Tour seems really well built but there is no personal storage up front while driving and that seems like an issue. I like the Revolution but not sure of the quality. I'm told the Diplomat isn't as well built as any of the others. I really like the Bus but not sure an '11 will be available by the time I decide and the '12's will be well over 300K. Sure hope I can tap into some experienced RV'ers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Well I have had a Fleetwood Discovery and now own a 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40qth. While the Discovery I owned was not in the same line as a Revolution it was still a nice coach. That being said I can tell you imho the Tiffin I now own is far superior. The fit and finish and Tiffins customer service can not be beat. Cant really commit on the other two since I have not personly owned either.

Good luck
David

Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you looked at Newmar's? We're on our second and barring something drastic (like winning the lottery so we can afford a Newell and pay cash) we'll stick with Newmar's. Really like the King Aire or Essex!!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only you know what your pocket book can handle, so that is the first consideration. After that it becomes a matter of personal preference. Do you like it's looks, the way it drives, the size and location of the bed ,gas or diesel, location of warranty service and most of all--- If Mama ain't happy no one happy!

In these days of routine bankruptsy and here today gone tomorrow, examine closely the financial stability of the manufactuer and dealer.

Don
Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #5

We're on our 4th American Coach, all bought used. None of them has any issues at all. The savings is incredible vs new. A warranty to me is not worth the $100.000 or higher hit when you drive it off the lot. I can fix a lot of things with the money saved. IMHO if I paid $400.000 or more for a new coach my expectations would be pretty high. Several of my friends have done this and expect perfection. The interest alone from new vs used is staggering. I bought new once and will not go into that as a first timer. Now we buy a better coach but used and are very happy with the results and save a bundle. Crunch the numbers and do some research, this is a big decision. We receive flyers in the mail and I can't beleive some of the fine print, 240 months financing and so on on new $160.000 dollar MH! With 10% down! I'm just saying, there's nothing wrong with it, but I'd rather move up in quality, and buy at half price of new.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We moved from an '08 Tiffin Phaeton 42' tag to a 2011 AC Revolution. We had the Phaeton for three and a half years and it was amazing; I think it represented the biggest bang for the buck available in the Fall of '07 when we bought it? We consider the same alternatives as you are now and we had a chance to really compare all four at the Tampa show in January of this year. The Allegro was the most expensive at that time which kinda surprised me as Newmar usually grabs that spot? The Tour was nice but I wasn't sure about Freightliner and, after driving it a few miles, I was right - it ain't no Spartan. We had been spoiled by the Spartan MM chassis on our Phaeton and by all the stories and discussions of the two chassis sitting around lots of campfires. What ultimately sold us was the sheer build quality of the coach. Look at the materiels and components used and how well thought out the placement is then look at the others. We went with the all*electric and I really do like the way they have it set up. It was the floor construction, thickness, and rigidity that sold me along with the techniques used to attach sidewalls and roof. Add this to the Spartan "Liberty" chassis and you have performance that's really hard to beat? I know I can get you into a brand new one for less than $300K which makes it a pretty good bargain in my opinion? If you want to settle for a few less flourishes but the same build quality then check out the Fleetwood Providence 42' tag, which is built on the same chassis using the same motor and side rad set up - same bang for the buck as my Phaeton was in late '07 if you ask me. I have a powerpoint show that compares Fleetwood (AC) to the Allegro Bus in terms of some construction and component comparisons if you want. PM me and I will send it - it was provided to me by another AC owner and really helped me to decide. Goood luck, they're all great choices.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forums! I can't help on your question but there are lots of folks hanging around here who will! Good luck!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

You know what they say about opinions, mine is I bought new a revolution and would do it again.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

Now this is what I've been looking for since I started this motorhome search. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Tour so can only comment on your original post that states that there is no personal storage up front. Not sure what your are trying to store but my 2007 40TD has the following:

- cup holder on left hand side
- cabinet above on left side where I store all my maps
- cabinet directly above where I store all my RV books (next exit, campground guide, etc.) and CDs
- I have a metal file holder positioned between the console and the side window where I keep my driving log, clip board with checklist, manila folder with trip information, and a holder with all my various gas and campground savings cards. Positioned so I can still use side view mirror
- I have a basket on the left between the seat and the side wall with binocs, camera, extra water and snacks
- cell phone, GPS (other than build in), TPMS all hang off the side window from suction cup holders
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #11

They must have removed all the stuff you mentioned which sounds useful. Now there's just a cup holder and two small drawers. I think I'll look at an '11 and see if it's any better.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #12

We bought a used 07 42 ft Bus, 24.5K miles, like new in and out. Kept in a barn, no sun fade, just nice as can be and less than 1/2 the price of a new one. Put 3 K miles on it since July and love it. No rattles, no leaks. Would do it again in a heart beat.
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #13

I have an 04 revolution and dash ac when not moving dosenot work well. This is due to the engine fan dosenot activate when ac is turned on. The switch on the high side of ac line is working that controles the fan that circulates air over the condenser on the ac out side.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontoot View Post
I have an 04 revolution and dash ac when not moving dosenot work well. This is due to the engine fan dosenot activate when ac is turned on. The switch on the high side of ac line is working that controles the fan that circulates air over the condenser on the ac out side.
I am confused why this is on this thread but I'll try to help. I might be wrong but I think the condenser is located in the center behind the gen about where the front axle is, there should be a 12volt fan that is mounted to it. Look there for it.