Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Robin wants to go FT-advise?

Hello all! I have made the decision to sell everything in my apt take my two dogs/1cat and go FT. (Actually this is a good economic decision since I live in Silicon Valley and am paying all but $45 of my disability check to the landlady). So as I spend the next 6-8 months sloughing off excess, I ponder which set up to get. Do I get a truck camper so I have a vehicle? Do I get something to pull after my Hyundai Santa Fe V6? Or do I jump into a Class C.Tough decisions and would like to hear from others pros/cons. I want something low profile to start and I will probably want something safe to leave pets in if I want to walk around where they are not allowed. I figure it would be wise to start small and upgrade later? But not too small (dogs need wrestling room - medium size.

SO looking forward to this new lifestyle. I'm bored and depressed stuck in this stick box. (Too much wasted space in stick homes in my opinion)

What say you?

Robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Oh and budget

I'd like to not touch my early retirement pay and put that in savings (not much, but good to save) so my budget would be around 1200 a month...1400 max. Not a big drinker, have been living on mainly vegitarian (economic choice). Could stay longer in one place at a time to save on gas prices (gas mileage would be something I would want to consider in a purchase...or not, depending on experienced RVer's recommendations). Would I have enough for payments, insurance (have no idea what that costs) camp fees? Any helpful budget ideas?

THANKS SO MUCH! I'm excited and ready to make this work.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Robin and welcome to the forum! I used to live in the valley so I know what you've been up against.

I'm sure some of our members will chime in soon with suggestions on the best way to approach FT on a budget. Being economical hasn't been my area of expertise.

You can use the search feature to find previous discussions on the topic and there are a lot of trade offs to be made when picking a rig. My initial reaction is to suggest a Class C and maybe a small tow car but that just might break the bank and complicate your learning curve so I'll let others who have been there and done that comment further.

We've been full timing with our three dogs and our biggest concern about leaving them alone in the coach is the possibility of a power failure at the camp ground on a hot day. Just something to keep in mind.

Best of luck to you.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Good point about dogs and power out, did not think of that. Was thinking that a solar panel would be a necesary item. Tips with dog travel? The boys definately have to come, so I will make the adjustments to "freedom" as necesary. "We are one" family.

Thanks for your response:^)