Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
suz

RV Road Trip in a Rental - Need Advice

My husband and I are heading up to Oregon in October - renting a 32' Class A motorhome. I have experience (30 yrs ago!) driving a big rig like this and
am not too worried. Husband - no experience. We're over 50 yrs. of age.

We'd like to use Hwy 101 up through California and into Bandon Dunes Oregon and then to Florence Oregon. From there we'll head up towards
Portland using Hwy 126 to get to Hwy 5.

My understanding is Hwy 101 in California is a split highway - 4 lanes - 2 going in each direction but when you get to Oregon it's just a 2 lane highway and not divided. Is it a difficult drive up through Oregon along
the coast?

Any help you seasoned travelers can provide would be appreciated.

suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No problem for our 41' with Honda Ody in tow on 101 in OR or WA. Beautiful scenery too.
But I've had years of experience too, especially on winding roads with cliffs on both sides and no guardrail.
Have you been through the east entrance to Yellowstone? If so you get the idea of 101 in OR and WA in some areas.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
suz

Not been to Yellowstone - thanks for the comments.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2 suz. You can watch all those roads on that famous UTube, just enter the road # and many clips will show up. Looks beautiful along that stretch of Highway. Have a safe trip.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! You're going to be seeing some of the most beautiful country in the world and seeing it at the best time of year. We've spent the past two weeks or so working our way down the coast from Seattle and just yesterday got into the Califorina Redwoods.

101 varies in the number of lanes both in Oregon and in NorCal. This is the second time we've taken our 40 footer with towed on the trip and it really isn't a big deal if you take your time and use the pull outs to let others pass. You probably want to avoid Hwy 1 if you do decide to go into California.

I can tell you I've sure seen a lot of rental RVs up here the past couple of weeks!

Relax and enjoy the journey.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Suz, 101 is no problem. As Rick stated it is 4 lane and 2 lane in Ca. and mostly 2 lane in Oregon.101 from Burbank to Oregon has only one area of concern and that is driving through San Francisco. To get through SF one must drive city surface streets and 19th avenue can be intimidating. I would recommend by passing SF on 101 by taking I 880 in San Jose to Oakland and I 80 East toward Vallejo/Sacramento. East of Vallejo take Ca 37 to 101. It intersects just below Petaluma. If you stay in the area you can drive your toad into the city. If you have detailed questions PM me.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
suz

Perfect - that's what I've been looking for. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
suz

Valuable information - thank you!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

We did 101 in OR last fall between Cape Blanco and Lincoln City in our 32-footer, no problem. We gave up the trip at LC when the weather turned sour. The rest of 101 in OR and WA is no problem with a 32-footer. The only snag with doing it northbound is that almost everything you want to see is on your left and you have to turn across the traffic to get to it.

I'd strongly rcommend getting the booklet "Oregon Coast - Official mile-by-mile guide to Hwy 101". It's a freebie, and you can get it at most attractions or at the first tourist office you come to. They have a web-site www.visittheoregoncoast.com.

In October, it may get cloudy, windy and wet and it might not be very warm as you get further north. It was about Oct 10th last year and it went from bgirht, sunny and 75 degrees one afternoon (we were in Florence) and we woke up to dull, grey, raining hard and about 45 mph winds the next morning. The high that day just made 50. Wonderful country, though, even in the rain!