Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Well with almost 2 months of ownership in the books we've completed two trips. Perhaps I should say we've almost completed both of them! Over the holidays we did a short trip to Helen, GA. Nice, trouble free trip. This weekend we did a 4 day trip to our first race of the 2011 season at Roebling Road near Savannah. A strange creaky noise started east of Columbia on I26. A quick stop at the rest area to look things over & found one lug nut cap gone. Checked the others and many were a little loose. Tightened things up and noise pretty much went away. Had a nice time in it at the track, way nicer than camping in the car hauler. One drawer fell out of position...the slides are not correctly attached at the rear ends so they can pivot and pop out of the rear mounting tabs. Don't ask how the race went...

The trip home on Sunday was going fine until a DQ stop along I95 just before I26. While backing into a parking space the RV made some abnormal noises. I assumed it was just ball mounting rattling a little. But just west of Columbia we started having a loud banging noise and thumping as if a tire was decapping. Pulled off & checked the tires on RV & trailer. Temps and pressures were fine on all tires. Nothing obvious wrong. So we headed to the next exit a half mile away. Part way there the ABS warning light and check ABS message came on. Once off the Interstate in a safe location I looked underneath nothing obviously wrong.

Called Workhorse roadside assistance. Got a prompt answer and filled the tech in on issue. As the brakes were fine, he indicated I could continue to drive and gave location of nearest service center, 26 miles behind us back in Columbia. We went down another exit and pulled into a Wilco travel plaza. If we went home and it broke, the Columbia dealer was outside the Workhorse towing range, plus we had the trailer behind us. So called a friend. He went to our house, grabbed the Tundra (last years tow vehicle) and drove to us. Hooked trailer to pickup and then headed back to drop RV at dealer in Columbia.

Sounded to me like something going south in diff or rear axle, perhaps related to ABS sensor??? No word from dealer yet. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come with our new toy as we have about 10000 miles of planned trips for the year.

Anyone had any rear axle issues with a Workhorse W18 chassis?

Greenville, SC
2011 Georgetown 351DS
ocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations on your new rig. The cost sounds cheap enough.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome to the site.

Larry and Cindy
Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
Towing a Jeep Wrangler