Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
Dae

RV Virgin Need some Help

I literally know nothing about RV's. I do know I want to travel the Americas fully from north to south. I hail from NY, so I'd like to to (in about 2 or 3 years) purchase an RV, head north all through Canada, into Alaska, back down into the States, down through Mexico, Central America, all through South America, work my way back up and then head overseas. But, I don't even where to begin with the RV.
I'm not sure where to shop or poke around, what I'm looking at, what prices, what overheads might be as I travel, I'm literally in the dark. I'd absolutely love if anyone can at least give me a starting a point, perhaps a reliable place or places to compare prices or get familiar with what I might be dealing with. I'm a pretty smart guy, and that's why I figured I'd hit up one of these forums instead of just trying to wing it on my own and go through search engines.
I understand there is probably costs and stations I'd have to stop at for fresh water refills and sewage disposal and that sort of thing, don't know much about how some things work as in if there is satellite tv, or solar panels, or.....maaaan, I don't know, haha. I plan on traveling and living in one for a few years. I don't need a castle on wheels, but a nice living space and cooking space (very important) and...hey I don't know, can someone just send me to a place where I can poke around?
I found one site that had new rv's but every web page was still "under construction". So some help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Dae. That sounds like an ambitious plan. Wish I could join you on the trip. Do you have any idea of what kind of RV you are considering: motorhome, 5th wheel, travel trailer, etc. You might get better advise with more specifics in that line.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

I too am retiring in 2 years, and am in the same boat as Dae.

I was thinking either a small class A or a small class C.

I was wondering, did everyone here start out with short trips and learn as you went along or did you just jump in with both feet and go for broke?

What do you do if something breaks? Are there people you can call or should you have some idea what you are doing before you go?
jemma112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #4

Were I single, and planning to do as much exploring/traveling thru various countries, I think I would be looking at smaller rather than larger. My focus would be on a class B equipped for boondocking and a small motorcycle to use for day exploring. The main advantage would be that mpg would be better, and could be parked nearly anywhere. Try a google search for PPL which is a rv consignment dealer and that site will give you some ideas of what's available and for how much. The site also also has pics of various rv's for sale which will get you some basic knowledge regarding price and features.
Satellite TV, internet, solar and all the comforts are available if they are in your budget.
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Dae that is a tall order. I think you are doing the right thing by joining this site. There are lots of people here with a lot of info. I would surf the site, read a lot and ask a lot of questions. Welcome to the site.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Dae

Hey, thanks everyone for your input so far. I've checked out a few different sites, also found a few really good ones in the "links" section in this forum.
I have to be honest, I, of course, was very drawn to the RV's I see that seem to be around 40ft long and are essentially traveling luxury apartments. Am I the type that needs luxury? No, not necessarily, but since I will literally be living in this by myself for a good number of years, a small living room would be nice, and a viable cooking area is VERY important as well as an outside grill.
I saw a few different types mentioned, like 5th wheel, for example, I don't know what these mean yet, but it seems I'm leaning towards the ones that look like a tour bus from the outside. The one drawback is that they ARE very big and maneuvering in cities would probably be difficult as well as finding places to spend the night, I'm not sure I'd be allowed to just pull into a random parking lot with one of those for the evening, lol.
But, like I said, I have quit a while before any decisions are made, I just decided to start my researching a bit early. I'd say I wouldn't be making any serious strides towards getting one for at least another year and a half. I am VERY excited though!! I can't wait.
I also won't know what my budget would be. I'd like to think at least $250k. Navigation system a must, outdoor grill, great indoor cooking space and appliances, nice size fridge, and I do need my satellite dish and a nice hd tv in the living room and one in the bedroom. Oh, and solar panels? I didn't see any ads with solar panels but I'm sure they do those, right?
But thanks again, folks. I'm glad I joined this forum.

Edited on afterwards:
So I just learned two things 1. 5th wheel seems to be a trailer you hitch onto another vehicle. 2. $250k is WAY more than enough looking at some of these prices.

And thanks Rick&Cheryl, I'm going to check that site.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Dae

Alright, so now I know what a 5th wheel trailer is. I've also learned the difference between class A, B, and C. The ones I've been looking at with the most interest are the class A motorhomes. I had said before I'm not really that much of a stickler for luxury, but it's apparent my interest says otherwise.
I'm kind of shocked at some of the prices I've seen as well. I'm assuming due to the economy they're at a real low, let's just hope they stay that way by the time I'm ready to make a purchase.