Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
RVer without an RV

Hi everyone! I'm new to the RVing world and just getting started on a search to buy a used Class B or C RV. I plan on going fairly small at first because I am definitely challenged at backing-up. It took me a year to learn to back into my cramped condo parking space in a Prius! If I ignore all the doubt messages in my head, I know I can learn to do this. It will be just me and my dog hitting the road for vacations at first but I am seriously considering living the life of a nomad when I retire. I look forward to advice on these forums.

Rainbowpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Debbie! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #3

Hi Debbie, you may find that, once you learn to use the mirrors, that backing an RV into a space is really easier than backing a Prius into a parking spot (we've had 3 Prius and a Prius V, so I'm familiar with them). Unless you've added wide angle mirrors to your Prius there are some pretty good (or is that 'bad') blind spots near the back corners.
The places you'll be trying to back the RV into will most likely be proportionally much larger than putting a Prius into a parking spot (odds are the parking place will be designed to accommodate a much larger RV).
Once you get your RV, get somebody who knows how to back with mirrors to show you how it's done. I showed my wife 20-some years ago and she still appreciates today. Like me, the first the she does (or rather, has me do) with a new car is to put wide angle mirrors on it. Once you learn to use them you hate to be without them.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
1996 Fleetwood Southwind 34'
Podivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

You can also get a camera mounted to the back of the RV and use that in addition to the mirrors.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the Forum!. I too came to the Forum 2 yrs ago to learn what I needed to learn prior to buying our first RV. It was a great experience and allowed us to make a much wiser choice.

There are driver's courses for people learning to drive an RV. There are all over. The instructor meets up with you and shows you how to drive YOUR RV. Learning to use the mirrors is very important. Just enter "RV driving instructors" into a search engine and find one near you. It will help with your car too. I also own a Prius.

Getting an RV and planning to live in it is exciting. We bought ours ( a motorhome) 15 months ago. Love IT! I retire in 15 months so plan to live in it and travel. Meanwhile we are learning to use it. Pretty much have that down now but it is a learning process.

Go to PPL motorhomes out of Texas (web site) and you can see floor plans easier. Gives you a good idea of what you might like and what it will cost. This is where we bought ours and drove it back to MI.

Read old threads, watch YouTube videos on anything RV and learn then go to a dealership and just look. RV shows are another great way to learn this hobby / lifestyle. Your dog will love it also. They are always home and CG's (campgrounds) usually have a place for the dogs too.

Good luck with your search and come on and look and ask. Lynne

backroadtravelers.com This is a good site for some driving info
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Hi Debbie. Good luck in your RV search. We love ours and the freedom it allows us to get away. Years ago when we owned a boat I hitched that thing up and took it to a new housing section that had just the roads done, no houses yet. I backed that thing up/down and all around those roads until I could do it with ease. Don't let your mind defeat you!
John & Marilyn
2004 Dolphin Heritage LX, 32 ft
Modesto/Ceres CA
jmzumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
Welcome and good luck in your search. Just make sure you do your research and don't rush into anything. If you take your time and compare as many of the RV's out there that you can, you will find one you love. And remember looking for one is half the fun of buying one.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote