Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

Sailors gone landlubber

Hey all!

My wife Debbie and I (Lorne) picked up our first Class C motorhome last September. It's a '91 Itasca 327RB. We'd been sailing Lake Erie for the past 11 years with our Endeavour 32 and actually lived aboard for a bit. I had a small business repairing boat electrical and mechanical systems for some time. Our sailboat was originally a graveyard boat that turned out very nice with some elbow grease. My wife hurt her back and was no longer able to go out sailing or motorcycling, so we've decided to go land yachting!

We picked up our RV from a dealer as a bit of a fixer-upper. More of a fixer-upper than I realized! lol I ended up doing major frame reconstruction and such the day after we picked it up. Now we're using it and getting the bugs out of all the systems one by one and hoping to do some real traveling.

RVs and boats have some in common, but more differences, so questions will arise. All comments and answers will be appreciated! Looking forward to answering some myself as I learn more about these land beasts! lol

L.
lhutter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I grew up on boats in the Chesapeake and learned a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into. It hurts less when you can do your own work. An RV can also be a receptacle to pour money into, not sure what kind of hole it is though. I hope you enjoy your new RV. I think you'll find the build quality a little lower than your sailboat, but then the RV won't sink! Enjoy!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

Indeed, the sailboat was a "big" hole into which money and time disappeared! lol I think on land the hole is sort of like a landfill or something of the sort... lol So far the land yacht is mostly time. I'm sure the money will follow!

L.

lhutter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard iRV2. We had sailboats for a long time and made the switch to land yachts a few years back. We still miss the sound of the water, wind, clanking of the rigging and the gently rocking at anchor.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your gonna think you're still in a sailboat when you get into some high winds out on the highway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Lorne and Debbie, welcome to IRV2. I'm sure you will make the adjustment just fine. And people are here to help when you need it and you usually don't have to wait long. Enjoy your RV lifestyle and safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhutter1 View Post
Hey all!

My wife Debbie and I (Lorne) picked up our first Class C motorhome last September. It's a '91 Itasca 327RB. We'd been sailing Lake Erie for the past 11 years with our Endeavour 32 and actually lived aboard for a bit. I had a small business repairing boat electrical and mechanical systems for some time. Our sailboat was originally a graveyard boat that turned out very nice with some elbow grease. My wife hurt her back and was no longer able to go out sailing or motorcycling, so we've decided to go land yachting!

We picked up our RV from a dealer as a bit of a fixer-upper. More of a fixer-upper than I realized! lol I ended up doing major frame reconstruction and such the day after we picked it up. Now we're using it and getting the bugs out of all the systems one by one and hoping to do some real traveling.

RVs and boats have some in common, but more differences, so questions will arise. All comments and answers will be appreciated! Looking forward to answering some myself as I learn more about these land beasts! lol

L.
I too swallowed the anchor. I had my sailboat 20 years and had many adventures on my last trip to Alaska decided it was time to let her go. We now travel the road more traveled, its still adventure and fun and would live full time in the RV if the DW would.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #10

Hi Ihutter, We sold our 38' Irwin sloop and bought a 30' Southwind, can't ride the wind for freee anymore, still get about 6 1/2 MPG from the Iron Jib. But when Hurricanes come in, I can head North at about 50 Knots. Art.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome, I sure hope you will enjoy your travels and the group here!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #12

Welcome, we also went from a sailing lifestyle to a MH. My DW and I bought a Catalina 40 that was on the hard in West Palm Beach FL shortly after we both retired. It was a very neglected vessel that I did a total refit on and when finished had one of the nicest C40's around. We sailed and lived on board in the islands part time for 2 years.

Unfortunately I got too busy with some business ventures so had no time to sail so we sold it. We also bought a 38' DP not unlike our C40 that I'm doing a total refit on. Really enjoying it but I must admit its a much more challenging vessel to paint.

On the good side I am more confident my DW can handle this rig easier then the boat. She drove this around the block without taking out anything. Her first time on the helm of the boat she changed course and the boom came sweeping across the deck and the main sheets got caught on a scoop and ripped it off the deck. She wasn't real helpful at bringing her into a slip and getting dock lines. I'm feeling more confident the stress levels will be much less in the MH.

Please submit pics of your progress so we can follow along.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Hello and welcome. We are also boaters but the motorized type. Went from a 26' aft cabin cruiser to a 23' performance boat after moving to home on the lake. Spent many a weekend and vacation on the cruiser.

The MH really belongs to our dogs since we bought our first one to be able to bring out girl with us on winter vacation.

When you are camping and get talking to other RVers (we all love to chat) you will be amazed how many of us are or were boaters.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote