Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm wondering what happened to Michael - the OP - anyone notice he made two posts and never returned. Perhaps they are boondocking and have not had wifi or lurking...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #58

Well the only advice I will give is based on my own experience. When I was younger I loved to bounce around from place to place. Now that I am older I stay six months here in WV and six months in the South (coastal GA this year). What I have learned is to use the "KISS" (Keep It Simple System) when you bounce around from place to place. By this I mean I didn't string lights, setup tables outside, etc., etc. It is much simpler if you keep it "Simple" to setup/break camp to move. Now that I plant semi-permanently twice a year I don't mind spreading out a bit.

As far as the same sex thing...doesn't bother me in the least.

Welcome to the forum and have safe and pleasant travels.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #59

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I'm wondering what happened to Michael - the OP - anyone notice he made two posts and never returned. Perhaps they are boondocking and have not had wifi or lurking...
I see last time they were on was May of this year....
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I see last time they were on was May of this year....
Must be one of those features the app is missing...
Old 08-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #61

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He made a post at 9:22 this morning,, addressed in part to me.

To Michael, I will add this... not everyone shares my "It is not my business". It is clear that the sediment of many on the forum here reflects mine.. But well.. I have seen some folks who were not as open to the life styles of others.. And the strange thing is WHERE I met them.

(I sometimes hang out with Science Fiction fans.. And twice, at a convention or gathering I have seen clear evidence of bigotry by another attendee... What can I say... Their problem. My problem is how to best show them the error of their ways).

What makes it worse for me is that I am a firm believer in my religion, And of course, you likely know where most religions stand on same sex relationships (Against).... That said.. God gave use the choice.. And he also warned us not to judge, least we be judged as we have judged.

Thus... My position.. It is none of my business.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #62

you are still going to run into to some old timers that are not up with the times and would not be nice to you i am sure face to face

they are the type to stay away from any one they feel is not part of the group

keep in mind we all get some kind of unwanted feeling
younger couples like my self and wife get look at poorly for being full timers and such a young age and can be made to feel out of place at times

so if you ever run into some one less open keep in mind your not alone

PS you can park next to me any time
Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And what's interesting is that this discussion - as well intentioned and well meaning as any one on either side of the belief system might be... we are walking the fine line of acceptable discourse on the forum. I for one wish there were no need to discuss or ask the question - will I be accepted by the RV or any other community. Somewhere along the way we have determined that freedom of speech means we care what "you" think or should.

Everybody sing - why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends..?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408390243454.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	71156  
Old 08-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #64
MPH

OMG, Flaggship, you nailed it. Thanks.

Can't we all just get along?

Look forward to running into many of you in campgrounds across the country!

Mel
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Like Michael, I read various posts off and on for a while before deciding to register and jump in on iRV2. It was an easy decision once I ran across this thread. I was so moved by the upbeat, compassionate and heartfelt responses to Michael's original post that joining this group was an easy decision. You all sound like "my kind of people!"

My partner of 19 years and I have been avid campers/RVers for all that time. We started with tents, graduated to pup-ups, then TTs and now have decided to purchase our first MH (class C) in the spring of 2015. My DW (we married in NM last year -- we figured after 18 years we were pretty much committed!) will retire in Dec. 2015. I'm a little behind her, but we've decided to plunge ahead and go for full-timing, at least for one year. We want to see the country!

DW is a chaplain by profession and is truly beloved by all she works with and by those she ministers to in hospice care. Knowing her, she will miss that ministry. I told her that we will meet lots of folks on the road who would love to talk with a chaplain from time to time! We'll see how "retired" she really gets!

Didn't mean to get so long-winded here ... just wanted to jump in and tell everyone how much your posts blessed me. I look forward to meeting some of you here and there on the road! Truly.

Melanie "Mel"

Hi Mel,
Welcome aboard to you and your DW. Please tell her I said thank you for all of her hard work and dedication to the Hospice Industry. It takes a special person to do that job and it makes a world of difference to the patient AND the family!
Happy travels!!
Karen
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #66

Looks like Michael has given up on us. No posts since June 2nd. That's a shame.

Bruce
Old 08-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #67
MPH

Hi Karen. I will be sure and give her your message. I know first-hand how amazing hospice care is for patient & family. My father lived for 20 months in hospice care ... after being given 3-4 months. His quality of life was greatly improved by the care his hospice team gave him. And for my mom, well she became a hospice volunteer a couple of years after my dad died. Hospice care, done right, is simply amazing.

Clearly you have experience with hospice and know what I'm talking about. It breaks my heart that people develop terminal illness and don't opt for hospice care. Sometimes, though, they aren't given the option. I've seen families freak out when the word hospice is mentioned. What a blessing they are missing. Hospice isn't about dying ... it's about living ... about living life to the fullest for as long as there IS life.

Ok, I'd better get off this soap box!

Nice to meet a kindred spirit, Karen!

Mel
Old 08-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #68

Mel and Michael,

Please accept my welcome too. I have friends, acquaintances, and coworkers who are gay and lesbian. And that includes a very special lady in my past who was wrestling with her choice (which I'll get to in a minute). Virtually all of the LBGT community that I've known were nice people who just wanted the same things as the rest of us - to be respected and live life to it's fullest.

Regarding my friend... In 1992, I worked with a super lady who was wrestling with her direction in life. She liked me and I was attracted to her. But it soon became obvious to me that she was lesbian. But that was a problem for her. She desperately wanted a family and to live up to her family upbringing. So even though we went out on several dates, I didn't push to get closer because she was in a great pain on this issue. So we became close, platonic friends. Eventually she found a great woman who became the love of her life.

And that brings me to a couple of differences I see in LBGT folks - sensitivity and courage. What I've noticed is that these folks are more sensitive and have more courage than most people. Think about it...

For most of us here, we grew up in a world where gays and lesbians were cast out of society. That lifestyle was "bad". Negative messages constantly. It's much better now, but this still exists.

So say you are LBGT. Think you can ignore that bias and bigotry growing up? Nope. They suffered that. My friend suffered that. It was torture for her. (One of my greatest accomplishments was to turn off my "guy" feelings and just be a friend to her while she was going through her process.)

So instead of plowing along with most of humanity, LBGT folks get in touch with and accept who they really are. They fight convention. That takes sensitivity and courage. Just exposing their gender identify in this forum takes tremendous courage.

What really surprised me in this thread was the overwhelmingly positive responses by other forum members. This is an affirmation of how far we've progressed as a country.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I suspect that the folks in this forum are also more sensitive and courageous than the norm. Like the LBGT community, we've decided to get in touch what we like and go for it. It's hard not to like people who share the same interests and go for it attitude!

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #69

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually he made being gay/same sex an issue
if you want to enjoy the rv lifestyle, dont start it out making an issue that is most likely not an issue, to a good number of folks
in all my years i have only run across a scant few of the gay lifestyle, i don't remember it being an issue, as much as the gay persons did making sure, we knew they were what they were?
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #70
MPH

Dan, you're a pal! Thanks.

And, folks, I think we're done here. The welcoming comments have been heart-warming. It's nice to know that we can camp beside you and not worry about a thing ... just get on about the business of life, making friends and sharing stories of the road. Oh, and maybe trading a recipe or two. I'm chief cook in my family. ;-)

See you on the forum here and there and see you on the road in about 16 months!

Many thanks,

Mel
Closed Thread

Tags
california, newbie