Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
SOTA is short for Scene Of The Accident, which is the name of my nonprofit organization.

My classes this year are every Mon, Tue, Thu, and Sat, so I only have 1 day between locations. All of the locations have space for me to park and plug-in, but I still need to shop at Wal Mart along the way. I cook hot dogs for everyone in the classes I teach, so it's a never ending job buying supplies.

I may also be forced to carry Grandma's washboard and string up a clothes line for my laundry, or park close to a stream and wash my clothes in the river.

I have solved the trailer issue - I am having a 12' trailer built with a 4' tongue, which will put me at 59' total length. This will make me legal in every State except for Maryland and Oregon. I can buy a permit in Oregon, but I may have to take my chances in Maryland.

I am currently in the Northeast, trying to finish the year before the snow hits. I've been lucky so far, but I still have classes in RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA, and MD between now and Dec 15th when I am finished for the year. Then it's back to Texas where I will pick-up the MH and take it on a shake down trip to Georgia to pick-up the new trailer and try to make it home for Christmas.

I hit the road on my 2011 adventure on Jan 5th, and finish on Dec 3rd. I will post a blog of my adventures along the way. This will let me track the day I completely loose my sanity.

SOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Sota, sounds like things are coming together for you.

Whats wrong with using creek water for laundry, here in NC thats an everyday event.

If you teach to paramedics & will be in Davidson County NC you may meet my daughter. She is a student at Davidson County Community College in the paramedic program & works for the Davidson County EMS.

Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Been In the music profession Since 1958. Put many miles on the road, Hotels is not good I do solo now, Done GNR, In forest City, In Sept; Tow a Trailer Or Pickup. Loaded With loud Music making stuff;; I would just like to point out ; That getting up to 60/80 MPH> can take some time. The problem is Stopping That big mass. When you have a Motorhome there should be no need to drive above 60 MPH.. If you are in that much of a hurry take your car.; Then You have the guy that will say I only keep up with traffic.. I say I'm glad the traffic is not on the AUTO BUN; 100 ++ MPH;; Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #18
I'll be doing a class in Salisbury NC on Sat Sept 17th, which is just down the road from Davidson County. Please tell your Daughter how greatful I am to all the Paramedics and EMT's that are there in our darkest moments to take away the pain. A big part of my training is teaching medics better ways to handle patients and identify injuries at accident scenes.

I lived in NC for a few years and loved it - moved to Texas to advance my career. With the MH, I'll be able to spend more time there in my Golden years - once I figure out how to fill up the tank and put it into drive!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by SOTA View Post
- moved to Texas to advance my career. With the MH, I'll be able to spend more time there in my Golden years - once I figure out how to fill up the tank and put it into drive!
Have you obtained the required Class A License to legally drive in Texas?

SOTA, I honestly hope you're pulling our leg a little about how naive you are about an RV. On the other hand, if you're serious I just pray you don't end up frequently being your handle. These rigs are not a joking matter and hopefully you will know more than how to fuel it and put it in drive before we meet on a highway sometime.

I wish you well and more than anything I wish you safety.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
You already got a bunch of good replies, but I'll add one more. Since you just bought the home try to get out AS MUCH as you can close to home to work out any issues. Every new motorhome has issues (every one) and the quicker you can sort them out the better. So, try to do a bunch of short-term camping trips close to home where you work ALL the systems in the coach. This will not only help sort out issues, but will also help teaching you how to handle the home.

We did this for ~6 months before we moved into the home and then stayed in the home for ~1 month after that. Found a bunch of minor things (and a few major ones) that needed to be fixed. That 6-7 month period pretty much ironed out most of the issues before we got full-time on the road.

If you're not comfortable driving do also try and find a local place that'll give you lessons. Driving a big-rig takes some time to learn. Good luck w/ everything!

12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope your Newmar is a used model that has all/most of the bugs worked out of it. Your schedule is pretty tight and it will be a problem if you need to get things fixed. As a previous poster mentioned, it can take 6 - 12 months to work out most of the bugs. Secondly it looks like you have the electricity issue worked out and you surely have an onboard generator but water supply and holding tanks will be a problem. You could use the onboard washer/dryer every day while you are training to handle the laundry issue but this just adds to the water and holding tank issue. This will probably be your biggest problem. Flying J Truck stops have water and dump stations and water supplies but they charge and sometimes are hard to get into with a trailer. Other truck stops do not have dump stations. Only some rest areas have dump stations. I think you will need to stop at campgrounds regularly to dump and take on water. There are web sites and books that list big rig capable campgrounds. Another thing to consider is it will be hard to go to the Post Office, bank, laundromat, many grocery stores in a 43' motorhome. Most people have a car that they tow. Is there room in your trailer for a small car? By the way, I hope you are getting a trailer with brakes on it. This will be a great adventure. We would love to follow your blog and hear about your trip. Good luck to you!
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
Welcome to the site and good luck on your travels. As many has said there is much to learn about driving a 45 footer even if you aren't pulling a trailer. I went from 12 years experience driving a 32 footer to a recently purchased 39 footer and while there is little difference on the highway, there is a noticable difference just about everywhere else.

As a side note I looked at the state regulations web-site posted above in this thread and was surprised there are several states that still have an 8ft max width. Far as I know just about all motorhomes manufactured since the mid-late '90s are 8.5 wide. Oophs, I've driven through some of them.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
The MH is a 2006 model with less that 5000 miles. The previous owners lived in it for over a year, and got all of the bugs worked out. I will get back to Houston Dec 19th, which will be the first time I actually see the unit in person. My wife picked it out and made the deal. (Maybe she's just trying to get me out of her hair for another year). I will take off on the 21st and drive it to Georgia to pick-up the trailer I'm having built, and then back to Houston for 3 weeks where I will spend as much time as possible getting used to driving it in traffic and practicing getting in and out of Wal*Mart parking lots.

The pick-up and trailer I currently drive is about 50' long, and the new rig with the trailer will be 59'. But I know there will be a lot of differences between a short truck pulling a long trailer, versus a long MH pulling a short trailer. It will take some getting used to.

As for the laws from State to State - I have called the TX DPS 3 times and received 3 different answers to the same question. I've decided to carry a copy of the written laws with me and underlne all of the sections that pertain to me, so when I do have a problem on the road I can show them what the book says. Unfortunately, as I have found out the last couple years, they will still write you the ticket, and leave it up to the judge to make the final decision.

I'm really loking forward to next year's adventure, and hope to meet some of you in person along the way.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #24
Hi there, Good morning

My husband and I have done some research b/c we had the same question about a toad as well. From what I have gathered and the people I have spoken to that most states allow up to 65 Ft and the police will not bother you however that is what my husband and I have gathered from thje people we have spoken to. We been told that if you are over 65 ft and the police stop you or you get into a accident tickets can be written and can be used against you in a accident. Please do not hold me to this as I have just spoken to people and not cheacked for us yet to be sure.
The Williams Family-Northeast, MD 21901
1999 Foretravel U320C-Gray, Black Mix W/ White
41 FT 9"-M11 450 H.P Cummins-1550 Ft Lbs of TQ
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
Thanks for the info - I have planned my trip so that I am under 60' which will make me legal in almost every State. I have also heard that the DPS doesn't bother you unless you have an accident, but I have also heard that some States are increasing the number of tickets they write to increase their revenues.

Last year I was stopped in NC and received an $800 ticket and forced to sit at a weigh station for 10 hours, so now I am going out of my way to keep from giving them any reason to pull me over.