Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Self-introduction from a NW Boomer.

Greetings & Salutations, Cyber Gypsies.
Having abandoned the fantasy of moving to MX or HI, there's a possibility that I might convince my plant-loving, greenthumbs wife to snowbird. The cold's finally getting to her bones, now. Maybe when she attains age 60 as I have, the motivation will become bone-deep to return to Mossbackland only in June to Septemberish.
Aside from waiting for her mind to change, as well as the real estate market, dependent-ties of an adult daughter, prospective grandkid from the son, et cetera, I still want to research the best designed and most reliable Class C MH there is out there in the present/prospective near-term.
Will a hybrid/diesel Class C come down the pike? Class A is just too big to me, right now. Is Gulfstream better made than a Winnebago? Is buying last year's model, still on warrantee, smarter than a marginally upgraded brand new one? I should think so, eh?
Access your psychic powers and send me some advice, please.
Thanks!

El Torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have y'all on iRV2.

My preference on motorhomes is Winnebago are well ahead of Gulf Stream for quality.

Since this is your first motorhome, you might want to consider a 2 to 4 year old used unit. Lots of good deals out there and you won't get socked with a larger depreciation as on a new one.

Ken

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great new models coming

Hi
I just read a story about the newest models that are coming out.
If I remember correctly Winnabago, Newmar and one other company are building small diesel pushers or diesel class A's in the range of 28 to 32 foot.
Some have slides but others do not. Check the various mfg. web sites for info and dealers close to you.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #4

Thankye, podner.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

I'll keep my eye on the upcoming models. Primarily, I'm most interested in seeing a hybrid/diesel pusher along the lines of the newly-introduced Class A which has been adapted to a Class C chassis. Also, one which incorporates solar panels for trickle charging of the onboard battery system and subcomponents. It would be great if a manufacturer could also include an Apple Airbook, (or a dedicated nook for a notebook/printer/monitor), with a telescoping wireless antenna. I'm not yet at the point when I'm ready to travel to the manufacturer's site to see if I can get a deal, but it seems more likely than buying from a local dealer.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check eBay, that's where we bought ours. lots to learn there too
Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question New RV

Just remember, with a NEW USED RV (1 - 4 years old) all the BUGS are worked out ( we all hope) and you have plenty of time for TOURING, instead of shop hopping? and waiting to get back on the road!!!

Welcome
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't overlook craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Torg View Post
Class A is just too big to me, right now. Is Gulfstream better made than a Winnebago? Is buying last year's model, still on warrantee, smarter than a marginally upgraded brand new one? I should think so, eh?
Your original post implies that you are located in the northwest. The Seattle craigslist was loaded with motor homes when we looked for ours last summer. The benefit of combing through eBay and craigslist is gaining familiarity with what is available and relative value.

Hanging out on boards like this one will give you a sense of what people like, don't like, operating costs, and most of all, some guidance on troubleshooting and making repairs.

There can be a very wide range of prices asked for closely matched units. The differences often have to do with the current owner's financial situation, change in lifestyle, dealer's inventory, or some other non-motor home unit related factor.

Good luck in your search!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago now has a 32 foot Class A that has a hybrid diesel. The current problem with hybrids in Motorhomes (MHs) is that the best efficiency for hybrids is found in stop and go city traffic. Most MHs are used primarily on highways. A 32 foot Class A is almost as small as a large Class C. I have driven both Class A and Class C MHs and have found that a Class A drives as easy or easier than a Class C. I believe that the Winnebago is supposed to get between 12 and 14 MPG, with other efficient diesels that are starting to be produced in the same size acheiving 10 to 12 MPG. A 20% improvment is admirable, but probably not cost effective at the present time based on acquistion cost verses payback periods.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome. Small worked for us for 4 yrs, then we moved up. I agree about the weather, after 60 things changed. I love the cold looking out of the window. I am an outside kind of guy so I need to be where it is warm.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #11

Thanks, all.

Great advice; thanks to each and all. I still await for the circumstances to present themselves that will make this change of life from being chained to a stickhouse to a wheeled house and the freedom of the Road.
At this point, I mostly anticipate staying on the West Coast and following the sunshine as the seasons change. Right now, we own a Pan Abode log home on Chuckanut Creek, on the south edge of Fairhaven/Bellingham. The mortgage, taxes, bills, & et ceterata eat up all my income as a disabled vet/postal worker/'disabled' guy.
There's a lot up in the air; I'm juggling invisible stuff, I guess. I appreciate the helpful comments and will be getting a better feel for RV life as time unfolds.
A Class A 32' Winnie with hybrid drive is very attractive roominess-wise, and I don't plan at present at bombing up and down I-5; just a meandering migration from park to park as weather prompts my creaky bones or sweaty brow either south or north.
Que' sera, sera, eh?