Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HI gr8,

Try a site called RVParky to find CG's (campgrounds) near you. Tells you if they have electric, water, or sewer or all three or just two. Welcome to the Forum!

Your tanks can hold a few days worth of toilet waste (black tank) and water waste (grey tank) if you conserve a bit so if they only have a dump station, don't be concerned. You just go dump before you go.

Always after emptying your black tank add about 5 gallons of water to keep anything that might be left in the tank from drying out. Just a precaution. When camping in your driveway, use the toilet, the shower, and the stove. You'll get it in no time.

Plugging in at home be careful though. If you have 50 amps and you use an adapter to plug in they are not the same voltage.

We all learn and at different times and ways. People at CG's are a great resource. Just say "Hi, I am new at this and really unsure. Could you show me how to hook this thing up please?" They'll help you and probably talk to you for an hour or so about all sorts of things.

Most of all, you bought this to have fun. Relax, take your time to learn it and then enjoy. A year from now you will laugh and then help someone new on here that says "Help, newbie and have no idea!"

Good luck and PM me if you want to share E-mails and ask more specific questions. Lynne

Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You are worrying about things way too soon. The problems you are reading about here are things that happen just now to someone and they are asking for help. You may never have that problem. Wait til you have a problem before researching it. Then we can help you!

You need to know how to set up your rig when camped and how to get back on the road. You can practice that at home or in a nearby campground.

It is called a RECREATIONAL vehicle for a reason.

2007 Itasca Meridian 39K
350 HP Cat / Allison 6 Speed
1 Wife and 2 Dogs
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
One thing to add is that, daunting as it may seem everything is it's own system and works a ot like a house. For plumbing you turn on a faucet to wash you hands and water comes out and goes in a drain. The only difference on your RV is there is a tank of water supplying the faucet and a tank holding the waste water.

Electrical seems complex, what with generators, converters, inverters, batteries, house power, shore power, but in operation it's simple. Plug it in when you are able to; run the generator when you need extra power (like power the air conditioner) and there's little you have to concern yourself over. The other things do what they need to do, you don't need to fuss with them.

The first time I needed to dump my tanks I felt overwhelmed. I had four valves to deal with and a box of plastic connectors and a hose ... and after doing it once I wondered why I had been so concerned. Nothing to it. Everything is going to be like that. Confusing until you do it the first time and then ... oh!

If something does come up you can't figure out withe the manual (and most manuals are written to cover many different models and configurations), ask here and you'll have an answer in no time. Buying a new coach means you know what options you have. People like me who bought a used one often have to guess what's there as the manuals always says things like "if equipped" or "on some models" and show drawings of things non-existent.

I think you should just plan a short trip and go. What's the worst that will happen? You'll turn around early and drive back? You girls will have fun, especially since it's new and the size isn't going to present a problem driving.

You didn't say where on the West Coast you are, but there has got to be somewhere nearby to make a first visit to.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #18

Welcome! I take it you are web savvy enough to post here so you might want to try searching for RV related information on YouTube ..

There are many great video clips with detailed instructions, etc.

Click on this link and it will take you to some beginner instruction stuff ..
Bill & Laurie | 2016 Monaco Trek 26HMD - CHF - Roadmaster RSSA Steering Stabilizer - SuperSteer SS400 Trac Bar | 2005 Honda Element - Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar - RVIBrake2 System | TireMinder TPMS |
rvtrekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #19

Hi, I recommend you do an easy 1st camp even in your driveway if thats all you can handle at first. Know yourselves...do you need plans and details or are you a free spirited adventurer?
I started RVing as a 43 year-old widow with 3 kids and now I'm a remarried, retired empty-nester.
If you live it, you'll soon know. If you don't, sell it & move on.

JedSue12 is offline   Reply With Quote