Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
gr8

Senior members and old timers please Help! Overwhelmed with 1st time RVing

Ok So, we bought a 2016 Winnebago Navion 24V to explore our lovely west coast beaches/mountains. PROBLEM: We have owned it 3 weeks and after reading about our manuals and frequenting forums we are overwhelmed and have NOT gone anywhere as of yet. Afraid we are going to mess things up and break our new toy. There just seems to be so much to learn and do.....but we are 2 women with some disabilities. Do you think that we should just GO 4 IT and learn as we go? Reading about what to do doesn't seem to get us anywhere Almost having buyers remorse

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #2

Find a local campground and book a weekend there. Spend some time in the rig at a campground getting used to the systems as well as what it's like to just use the RV. Also, you could head to YouTube and check out the videos from RVGeeks, it should help you visualize some of the essential issues, like draining/flushing tanks.

Really though, it's not that big of a deal. I'd say the biggest issue will be with getting used to driving it.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

I would suggest starting out at an RV park, first. Will always be easy to find help in hooking everything up, from water to sewer and leveling if need be. Guess is that after a couple of nights you will be ready to hit the highways of the NW.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

When we started, we too were overwhelmed. But we did the "local campground" thing. The dealer was close by and answered any questions we had. Also, you will find those camping near you will be glad to help. If the campground has a host, use their experience as well. It is too much to be learned all at once, we are still learning after 14 years. So go for it and enjoy.
NOTE: I am considered a "junior member" as I post only infrequently, but I am an old timer as witnessed by my grey hair (that is falling out).
Old 06-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If allowed in your area spend some time camping in your driveway. If you do go to a campground don't be ashamed to ask for help from your neighbor. It can be intimidating at first, but everything will fall into place in time. Good luck!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
When we started, we too were overwhelmed. But we did the "local campground" thing. The dealer was close by and answered any questions we had. Also, you will find those camping near you will be glad to help. If the campground has a host, use their experience as well. It is too much to be learned all at once, we are still learning after 14 years. So go for it and enjoy.
NOTE: I am considered a "junior member" as I post only infrequently, but I am an old timer as witnessed by my grey hair (that is falling out).
Could not have said it any better. Stay close and your camping friends will be more than happy to help you settle in. Take a deep breath and ENJOY.
David g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

I say just go. If you had done that three weeks ago you'd probably be up-to-speed on everything you need to know by now. You've got a new vehicle, so reliability shouldn't be an issue. Most things you need to learn you'll know after doing them once. Emptying the waste tanks? Do it and you find it's easy. Need propane? Buy it and it's easy. Generator? Easy. Shore power? Easy? Levelers? Easy.

The hardest thing is probably getting used to driving a larger vehicle. You're isn't gigantic and should be pretty easy to get the feel for it.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Best way to get used to your systems is to camp in your driveway. You will soon determine what you need, how it works etc. You'll be close to home so nothing real bad can happen.

If you bought this new didn't the dealer go over the systems with you? If tghey didn't you could hire someone familiar with your RV (maybe from the dealer) and have hem show you the complete operation of your RV. When you do this take notes on everything so that if you forget how to do something you'll have a reference. When I took delivery of my MH I video taped the whole process. It has made a lot of things easier for me.

Good luck!

Happy Trails!!!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
gr8

Thanks everyone

Thanks. I don't have any trouble driving it. I drove 26 foot moving vans and my Mom's RVs often Its just all the nuts and bolts stuff that gets me. Good idea about camping locally at first. Rv geeks is also an awesome site. I have been there quite a bit. I think its nice to get encouragement about learning as we go. Thinking maybe I ought to just sit back and watch my wife as she figures it out. The dogs and I can sit tight and eat popcorn Let her do the dirty work; I like the kitchen But seriously, heart felt thanks. It is true that most RVers are gr8 folks just like Y'all
Old 06-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
gr8

people did go over the systems but neither one of us retained much of it. We are thinking that we may go back and ask them to do that again as we video it. My wife had a stroke 6 years ago.....came out of pretty darn good but it has affected her cognitively a bit. My mind/retention isn't what it used to be. Both 59 now 100% service connected disabled veterans Semper Fi and GO NAVY! PS have good day all Signing off and Going Dry Docking in the driveway.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just do it

I looked up your new coach and it's really nice and should not give you any mechanical problems. Drive it around the block until you are comfortable making left and right turns, backing and keeping it centered on your side of the road. We have a 65 year old friend who takes hers to the supermarket. If you don't have any CG close by take it to Walmart and spend a night. Make a list and go in and buy what you need. You CAN take it with you

I didn't get this on fast enough to see that you are and experienced driver, marine to boot! Just go for it you won't regret it!!
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #13
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New rv's can be quite complex and intimidating. Reading the manuals and making notes will help of course. Then do it again every once in awhile as a refresher course.

We have had RV's for many years and when we bought this monster it took me about a year to sort out how everything works and I am a certified electronic tech.

I do suggest to people that buy RV's to either be handy with a checkbook or handy with tools. You probably need to think about a small voltmeter and some hand tools. Something always works loose when your house is living on an earthquake.

Keep this site handy and it is rare when someone cannot answer your questions in minutes.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #14

I agree with the good advice given in the above posts. Only thing I'd add is just take things one step at a time. Pick out a concern, read up on it in your manuals and then do it. I know this to late for you, but the best thing I did was to download the main owner's manual and read it before we picked up our new rig. I went in with more than 50 questions I had. I wrote down every answer and referred back to the answers when I needed to refresh my memory.

Get out there and enjoy your rig.

BillL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving