Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 AM   #1

New here, great site. My wife and I are shopping for a new TT or FW. After looking at Layton, Pathfinder, Cougar, Trailblazer, Weekender, Komfort, Wilderness and Artic Fox, we have yet to see a unit, other than the Artic Fox (do not care for floor plan), that doesn't have at least one of the following:
screws missing in the hardware, doors and cabinets that do not fit properly or close properly, moulding loose from the walls or ceiling, wallpaper coming loose, trim along the walls and ceiling loose or poor fit, when looking in the storage areas seeing split wood from the screws or staples, etc. When I inquire, the typical answer is, "We do not fix until sold" or "They are all like that". I worry if this is what is seen, what can I not see. Am I being to critical??? We are looking in the 27'-30'range. This size is in our budget. New tow vehicle on order.
Thank you in advance for any opinions/thoughts.
Syd

2005 Artic Fox 25
shut up and fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 AM   #2

New here, great site. My wife and I are shopping for a new TT or FW. After looking at Layton, Pathfinder, Cougar, Trailblazer, Weekender, Komfort, Wilderness and Artic Fox, we have yet to see a unit, other than the Artic Fox (do not care for floor plan), that doesn't have at least one of the following:
screws missing in the hardware, doors and cabinets that do not fit properly or close properly, moulding loose from the walls or ceiling, wallpaper coming loose, trim along the walls and ceiling loose or poor fit, when looking in the storage areas seeing split wood from the screws or staples, etc. When I inquire, the typical answer is, "We do not fix until sold" or "They are all like that". I worry if this is what is seen, what can I not see. Am I being to critical??? We are looking in the 27'-30'range. This size is in our budget. New tow vehicle on order.
Thank you in advance for any opinions/thoughts.
Syd

2005 Artic Fox 25
Old 01-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the site!

To respond to your question:
To some degree all the RV's are like that. These things are not regulated to a great degree. The fit and finish is what you are really paying for in the "high end" units. All or most of the RV's use the same stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, etc. It is the way the unit is assembled that really defines the quality and price of the unit.
I have owned some real ugly" units that were assembled on the West Coast. Then hear of folks with the same unit that was purchased on the East Coast and how they love their units! I guess it has to do with the labor force used and the quality control.
Unless you get a unit that is "hand assembled" and are willing to pay for it....you will always find loose/missing/broken hardware in a unit. I purchased a unit during the winter months from the factory and was pleased with the fit and finish. I was told that during the winter the manufacturers lay off the :summer" help and just keep the longtimers inplace. Many builders go from 40 units a week to only four. So if you are willing to wait, order a unit during the winter and picked it up in the Spring in time for camping.
Chet
Old 01-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not look at some nice used higher end units. One, you will not take the big hit on depreciation and all of the little things have been fixed.

Ken
Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
No, they're not all like that. Unfortunately, if you're only looking at new units, workmanship generally improves as price escalates. As others have said, if you're working on a fixed budget, you might be better off moving up in quality by looking at a gently used, well maintained RV that's a little higher up the food chain.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #6

Welcome to the IRV2 forum Syd, hope you have success in finding the RV of your choice. Ed
Old 01-31-2005, 09:30 AM   #7

We purchased used last spring and have no regrets what so ever.

Doug
Old 01-31-2005, 09:40 AM   #8

we have a higher end FW and we still have had to have small things fixed here and there...But i have to say our first RV was used and we never fixed a thing..the next one was the RV from **** the first two years.....so so far this one is doing ok! good luck

San Antonio, Texas
DanJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:23 PM   #9

A big THANK YOU to all who have posted. I will give some thought to each. We are first time buyers, so getting some thoughts from you folks with experience is a big help.
I don't see why these manufactures can not present a quality product. I am sure they must or they wouldn't be in business. Maybe the seconds are shipped to Redding, CA where we are.
Thanks again!
Syd/Sherry.......still looking

2005 Artic Fox 25
Old 02-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
At an RV show a few years ago, while walking in the bedroom area, I placed my hand on a wall --- and the bathroom door opened! Wall would move in/out and flex the wall enough that the door opened. Gads!!!

I know what you mean about quality. (or lack of)

I'd get a used, high quality (by name recognition - like Teton) RV. Save on that first year or two loss of value..

Myself, I just can't see paying for a RV with a rubber roof! If they were so good, why are they not on automobiles, etc? I had one RV from H**L years ago that made me quit RV'ing. Now I have a bus conversion plus an Airstream TT - no rubber roofs and no leaks.

And check the RV Consumers Guide ---- a few dollars spent here may well end up saving you later.

don
Old 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #11

.....build it yourself and you won't be disapointed.....geof kaye
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #12

I was talking to a salemans a few weeks ago and I brought up the same thing. The salesman told me he would never buy "new" due to this and the "big hit" on depreciation (I figure he was trying to sell "used RVs"). Everyone I've talked with who has purchased a "new" M/H is told to take it on a "shake down" trip and bring back a "To Do List". It just seems wrong to me to pay what you have to for an RV and then have to the "Quality Control" for the manufacturer.
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #13

Syd,

Just a reminder while hunting - remember to try out the important areas - shower, toilet, kitchen, bed area. Nothing worse than first shower you take you can't move or first use of the toilet you can't wipe . I know some friends that can't shut the bathroom door while sitting on their toilet due to it being so close to the door.

Sit in the RV for at least 5 minutes picturing living in it. Walk through the motions in your mind and physically do it. If you don't feel 'at home' why not? Can you live with those reasons?

Cosmetic stuff can be fix, but living necessities can't (we did have a travel trailer that we turned the toilet so you could open the door without hitting the toilet everytime).

Charlotte

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #14

I was in the same delimma as you. I looked at new trailers in my price range and walked away each time thinking "Cheesy, piece of junk". Then I started to look at used upper end units and found many of them to be in excellent shape. I found and bought my Sunnybrook only several years old and in excellent shape for half of the new price. I've now had a couple of years (and still going strong) with no problems and no regrets. When it comes time to trade you can bet I'll be buying used. The upper end units have superior fit and finish and they tend to be better cared for.

'99 Sunnybrook/Mobile Scout 26cks
motorjock is offline   Reply With Quote